A/B Comparisons - iems, buds, cans, daps, and more - Tips & Impressions
Dec 23, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #181 of 396
112. campfire audio andromeda 2020 (W) vs akg n5005:

Andromeda 2020: airier, more height, sharper treble, more expansive, more forward, leaner mids, more transparent, better layering, more bass, better background detail, clearer, better imaging, more sibilant, wider soundstage.

N5005: tighter bass, feels more constrained, flat, smoother notes overall. It does nothing wrong but nothing exciting either. This is one of the few iems that I could not seem to get a good fit.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #182 of 396
campfire audio andromeda 2020 (W) vs akg n5005:

Andromeda 2020: airier, more height, sharper treble, more expansive, more forward, leaner mids, more transparent, better layering, more bass, better background detail, clearer, better imaging, more sibilant, wider soundstage.

N5005: tighter bass, feels more constrained, flat, smoother notes overall. It does nothing wrong but nothing exciting either. This is one of the few iems that I could not seem to get a good fit.
How wide does the stage go. Does it go just outside the head or further?

Dec 30, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #184 of 396
113. 64 audio tia trio (W) vs unique melody mext:

Tia trio: leaner mids, harsher treble, clearer, more transparent, better instrument separation, airier, more controlled clearer bass, better bass/mids/treble balance, a little more height, better female vocals, a little wider soundstage.

Mext: more bass and sub-bass, slightly more forward mids, easier to listen, smoother, can be fuzzy in comparison, better layering, better male vocals.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #185 of 396
114. ibasso dx320 w/ amp13 vs chord hugo 2 (W):

Dx320: a little more bass, a little smoother treble, the extra warmth makes it sound more natural, better male vocals, but can sound congested in comparison.

Hugo 2: wider soundstage, airier, more height, a little leaner treble, tighter clearer bass, better layering, a little more forward mids, sweeter female vocals, volume control is much nicer.

The two are pretty equal in clarity and transparency. I do prefer the dx320’s tuning, as it tends to sound more natural, but it is not a huge difference, and the technical abilities of the hugo 2 tip the scales in its favor for me, especially the soundstage. However, I am genuinely impressed by the dx320; it’s a lot of DAP for the price. As a whole package for iems, I would definitely choose it over the hugo 2.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #186 of 396
115. sony wm1am2 vs dx320 w/ amp13 (W):

Wm1am2: more intimate soundstage, feels more restrained, smoother overall. I also prefer the buttons.

Dx320: wider soundstage, more transparent, clearer, bass hits harder, clearer background detail, better layering, more expansive, more height, leaner mids. Has android 11 and a better cpu, so the OS runs smoother, and is easier to hold because it is narrower. Although it comes only with apkpure installed, you can actually install google play store through it.

I was expecting this to be a lot closer than it actually was. The dx320 just sounds much better, and this includes when the comparison is done with a sony ier-m9.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #187 of 396
Hope you're doing well! I pop into this thread every now and then because it's interesting.

Jan 16, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #189 of 396
Thanks! My tinnitus isn't getting better, so I try not to use iems too much, but I can use it enough to do some comparisons.
Hope all is well with you too :D
Oh no- I had no idea you developed tinnitus :frowning2:((. Hopefully it starts to get better with time

Jan 21, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #191 of 396
116. meze rai penta vs sony ier-m9 (W):

Rai penta: leaner mids, better instrument separation, leaner treble, takes less power. However, the imaging seems to be all over the place and not focused, sounds like left/right imbalance and the whole thing sounds too lean.

M9: more natural, better bass/mids/treble balance, more transparent, clearer, sounds more as a whole, better imaging, better bass, smoother overall.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #192 of 396
117. raptgo hook-x (W) vs moondrop stellaris:

Hook-x: more bass, better background detail, a little warmer, more transparent, clearer, comfier, more natural, wider soundstage, airier, more expansive, better layering, more organic, a little more height.

Stellaris: leaner mids, harsher treble, a bit hollow metallic sound, takes more power, better instrument separation, sounds more one-dimensional.

I was not a big fan of the stellaris in its comparisons with other planar iems. Its leanness sounds a bit harsh to my ears.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 12:25 AM Post #193 of 396
raptgo hook-x (W) vs moondrop stellaris:

Hook-x: more bass, better background detail, a little warmer, more transparent, clearer, comfier, more natural, wider soundstage, airier, more expansive, better layering, more organic, a little more height.

Stellaris: leaner mids, harsher treble, a bit hollow metallic sound, takes more power, better instrument separation, sounds more one-dimensional.

I was not a big fan of the stellaris in its comparisons with other planar iems. Its leanness sounds a bit harsh to my ears.
Which other planar iems have you heard and which one is your favorite(s)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back