A/B Comparisons - iems, buds, cans, daps, and more - Tips & Impressions
Dec 16, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #166 of 396
111. campfire audio andromeda 2020 (W) vs unique melody mext:

Andromeda 2020: airier, leaner mids, brighter treble, more transparent, more sibilant, better imaging, clearer, better instrument separation, comfier, more forward, a little wider soundstage, better background detail.

Mext: more bass and sub-bass, smoother treble, more natural, better bass/mids/treble balance, sounds more as a whole.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #167 of 396
focal elegia vs focal utopia (W):

The elegia has more forward mids, is more lively, has that closed studio sound (so sounds good with small studio music), but has a harsher treble.

The utopias are better in almost every aspect. It's overall smoother, has better mids, is airier, clearer, more transparent, more natural, has a smoother treble, better bass, more sub-bass, wider soundstage, more height, better imaging and layering, and better background detail especially when many instruments are present.

Of course, the real question is just how much worse is the elegia? (I'm sure no one expected the elegia to win). I would say that it sounds 70-80% of the utopias, depending on genre. That's a pretty good deal, considering that new elegias can be found at a tenth of the utopia's msrp, and that it can easily be driven from daps.
And Elegias have in the last few years been "cracked" due to the simple fact this headphone has qualities that make it highly EQ responsive.

Dec 17, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #168 of 396
What have I learned after buying around $40,000 of gear in 6 months?

So, the items listed in the comparison are about $40,000 msrp. Obviously, I didn’t pay msrp for the items, but I can’t remember how much I bought them individually, so the amount will have to do. On the other hand, I did have a lot of multiple items, so I am not sure if spent that much less than $40,000 overall. Anyways, though I have only written about the items that I owned, in the 6 months I have auditioned a lot more.

Here are some tips; I will try to be brief as always.

1. Always buy used. A big part of this hobby is comparing gear to other gear, and you are likely to sell off most of your gear at one time. Save some money by buying used, and sell it on for minimum loss.

2. Get a blessing 2 dusk. Imo, it is the best price-to-performance iem out there at the moment. Get it, then go to a shop that sells stuff in the $1-3k range and compare it. If you feel like there is enough of a difference to justify spending the extra cash then do so. But if not, you can just be satisfied for a long time with the dusks.

3. Iem tips do have a lot of effect. More so than the wires. And tip rolling is cheaper.

4. Spend more money on the iems/cans than DAPs. DAPs make a difference, but not as much.

5. I think there is a definite sonic hierarchy: iems<cans<speakers. Which one you get will depend on your lifestyle and budget. Probably a good idea to decide before you invest.

6. Dongles are great value compared to traditional DAPs.
So tell me pleeeeasee.. Do Focal Elegias have a vastly better spacious soundstage than Dusks?.

Dec 17, 2022 at 7:21 PM Post #169 of 396
And Elegias have in the last few years been "cracked" due to the simple fact this headphone has qualities that make it highly EQ responsive.
Yes, that's what I have heard. Unfortunately I do not eq my gear so I would not know just how cracked they are ^^
Though, at $299 (when it's on sale), it's great value.

So tell me pleeeeasee.. Do Focal Elegias have a vastly better spacious soundstage than Dusks?.
From memory (since i don't own either right now) the soundstage in the dusks are not that spacious so I expect the elegia to have a better soundstage.
However, the elegia itself is not known for having a huge soundstage so I don't think it will be "vastly superior." Just a little superior.
Hope that helps!

Dec 17, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #170 of 396
Yes, that's what I have heard. Unfortunately I do not eq my gear so I would not know just how cracked they are ^^
Though, at $299 (when it's on sale), it's great value.

From memory (since i don't own either right now) the soundstage in the dusks are not that spacious so I expect the elegia to have a better soundstage.
However, the elegia itself is not known for having a huge soundstage so I don't think it will be "vastly superior." Just a little superior.
Hope that helps!
Hi, you're great thanks!..It took me a while to zeroe in on the Elegia and the tweaks of pads and EQs.. Only now am I learning about iems and they are of course an amazing portable option with these amazing capabilities.. The Dusks are very tempting over Elegias..If you could recommend (my budget is 700-800) an IEM that you know would truly blow Elegia out of the water that I could buy and never have to worry about I would be grateful. Thanks so much

Dec 18, 2022 at 2:04 AM Post #171 of 396
Hi, you're great thanks!..It took me a while to zeroe in on the Elegia and the tweaks of pads and EQs.. Only now am I learning about iems and they are of course an amazing portable option with these amazing capabilities.. The Dusks are very tempting over Elegias..If you could recommend (my budget is 700-800) an IEM that you know would truly blow Elegia out of the water that I could buy and never have to worry about I would be grateful. Thanks so much
Thanks! The monarch mk2, monarch, viento-b, ier-m9, rsv, andromeda 2020 are all stellar choices over the elegia in the 700-800 range (used). I have give them in order of personal preference, but for your musical tastes the order may be different. Hope this helps ^^

Dec 18, 2022 at 7:03 AM Post #172 of 396
Thanks! The monarch mk2, monarch, viento-b, ier-m9, rsv, andromeda 2020 are all stellar choices over the elegia in the 700-800 range (used). I have give them in order of personal preference, but for your musical tastes the order may be different. Hope this helps ^^
thanks for the reccomendations.. Other I have found (new) in this range might be,, Symphonium Meteor, Fearless Audio S8Z and Thieaudio Oracle MK2... I also have to be very careful with nozzle size,,,, I actually think it might be risky gettting B2D because of reported nozzle width size..

Dec 18, 2022 at 7:22 AM Post #173 of 396
thanks for the reccomendations.. Other I have found (new) in this range might be,, Symphonium Meteor, Fearless Audio S8Z and Thieaudio Oracle MK2... I also have to be very careful with nozzle size,,,, I actually think it might be risky gettting B2D because of reported nozzle width size..
Unfortunately I have not owned any of those 3 so I can't speak confidently about them.
If you are worried about nozzle width, then it's always a good idea to try them before you buy.
Both the monarch mk1 and mk2 have a wide nozzle, the viento-b has a deep nozzle.
The ier-m9 and andromeda 2020 are normal size. I can't remember what the rsv is like.

Dec 18, 2022 at 7:40 AM Post #174 of 396
Unfortunately I have not owned any of those 3 so I can't speak confidently about them.
If you are worried about nozzle width, then it's always a good idea to try them before you buy.
Both the monarch mk1 and mk2 have a wide nozzle, the viento-b has a deep nozzle.
The ier-m9 and andromeda 2020 are normal size. I can't remember what the rsv is like
I dont think i can demo them so freely like that. Its one of the problems I face. The idea that people are buying audio gear just to demo fries my brain and I think really I am going to have to nail it in one go!...... Thanks for your quick reply and descirptions of the models.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2022 at 8:27 AM Post #176 of 396
I dont think i can demo them so freely like that. Its one of the problems I face. The idea that people are buying audio gear just to demo fries my brain and I think really I am going to have to nail it in one go!...... Thanks for your quick reply and descirptions of the models.
You're welcome! My advice is to always buy used first. That way you can sell them on for minimal loss if you don't like it. Of course it would be best to nail it first, but as everyone at headfi will attest, that never happens ^^:

my music tastes is 90% Intelligent Dance Music (idm) ,,
Sorry, I've never even heard of the genre, but if it is anything like dance music, im guessing the ier-m9 would be a good fit. No wide nozzles, and on the warm side.

Dec 18, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #177 of 396
You're welcome! My advice is to always buy used first. That way you can sell them on for minimal loss if you don't like it. Of course it would be best to nail it first, but as everyone at headfi will attest, that never happens ^^:

Sorry, I've never even heard of the genre, but if it is anything like dance music, im guessing the ier-m9 would be a good fit. No wide nozzles, and on the warm side.
The music is electronic with many details , sound effects in many areas , and layers. Mastering is always good and well produced on software. Big bass isn't necessary, it is good to have it, but it is not as big a thing as for pure dance electronic or hip hop.. I suppose Aphex Twin is the prime well known example..

Dec 18, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #178 of 396
The music is electronic with many details , sound effects in many areas , and layers. Mastering is always good and well produced on software. Big bass isn't necessary, it is good to have it, but it is not as big a thing as for pure dance electronic or hip hop.. I suppose Aphex Twin is the prime well known example..
I may have to check them out soon ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back