The Commodores!?
Oct 12, 2001 at 12:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

coolvij

Board geriatric
I can't even believe I am typing this......but......

I was watching VH1 a few days ago (not MTV for me, sorry....
tongue.gif
) - and they had a behind the music special on the Commodores, which basically the Commodores BEHIND Lionel Richie......ANYwayz.

I learned quite a bit - and actually LIKE the funky old-school, pre-lionel-superballad commodores.......
confused.gif

Well....I hate disco music. But this is different - funky yet soulful.

rolleyes.gif

Thoughts?

Oct 12, 2001 at 1:03 AM Post #2 of 11
Dunno but I got some well mastered Commodore hits hehe Japanese import that I like. It's my dads actually.

Oct 12, 2001 at 1:17 AM Post #4 of 11
BRICK.........HOUSE......(dah-dah-daaa-da).....

smily_headphones1.gif

What can I say? It's a new found interest.....well.....not really....

Oct 12, 2001 at 2:48 AM Post #5 of 11
a lot of the so called disco music had actual brass sections ! I am a fanatic for good brass.
Tower of power is one such outfit that never really hit it big but if you look to the credits of many recordings there they are providing the "sound".Live they are incredible,don't even know if they are still a working band

almost forgot,Earth , Wind ,And Fire-worth a listen ; Blood ,Sweat and Tears ; Chicago (called Chicago Transit authority on first album,then started numbering instead of titleing,up to 10 or something but the early years are the best)

All good brass sections,good way to get your feet wet

Oct 12, 2001 at 4:37 AM Post #7 of 11
Tower's original horn section (Mic Gillette, Greg Adams, Emilio Castillio, Lenny Pickett, Steve Kupka) is almost legendary. They played on many artists albums just as the Tower of Power horn section.

Quote:

Tower of power is one such outfit that never really hit it big but if you look to the credits of many recordings there they are providing the "sound".Live they are incredible,don't even know if they are still a working band

They still are, but the only member from the "good ol days" is Emilio Castillio, in fact he was one of the founding members. Lenny Pickett is playing for the Saturday Night Live Band.

Quote:

Chicago (called Chicago Transit authority on first album

Saw them live when they were the opening act for Janis Joplin when I was in the 7th grade. They were never the same after Terry Kath's death.

Oct 12, 2001 at 12:53 PM Post #8 of 11
When I was young and wild and were to choose to learn an instrument it would have been guitar.Now that I am older (less wild ?),and if I had the time and the dedication to learn to play it would no doubt about it be the sax.Beautiful sound.

BTW-I can't get "what is hip" out of my head nowdammit!!!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 12, 2001 at 4:13 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Rickraptorasaurasrexmeister

BTW-I can't get "what is hip" out of my head nowdammit!!!!!

Classic Tower. My personal favorite though is "Squib Cakes." In fact, Back To Oakland is TOP at their best, in my opinion. Of course, what better ballad than "You're Still A Young Man," from the Bump City album.

[size=xx-small]P.S. Sorry for taking over your thread Vij...I'll stop now[/size]
rolleyes.gif

Oct 13, 2001 at 11:31 PM Post #10 of 11
JMT - just noticed that lil font "I'll Stop Now" message.

Please - don't
smily_headphones1.gif

I love watching people reminisce about past music....it's something I don't know much about - and would like to understand a little better.

At this point - I am TOTALLY clueless as to which Commodores CD to get - any ideas? keep in mind, I'd like to keep the Lionel SuperBallads to a minimum - they're nice, but not my thing.

Oct 13, 2001 at 11:32 PM Post #11 of 11
Rick: The sax is the BEST!!! Well, best woodwind, IMHO - of course.

Especially tenor - I think it's because its sound seems to mimic that of the human voice..............aaaaaaaoooooohhhhh.......that "sound."

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back