The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Jun 14, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #4,591 of 6,418
@catom Congratulations for the great mod you received. Can the earcups of that Hifiman swivel on vertical and horicontal directions?
Horizontally only. I believe you need to bend the headband a bit if you need adjustments the other way. The clamp pressure isn't really strong, but so far has been working for me. From reviews this was one of the chief complaints -- that some people couldn't get a good fit/seal so bass ended up suffering as a result.

This, aside from being a basshead I guess, is why I opted for the bass tuned version of JM's mod. I figured more bass couldn't hurt. I'm not sure if the tuning adds more volume, impact, detail, or what...and I can't exactly compare, but if there was an option I was of course going to opt for the "bass" one. Yes please.

Jun 15, 2022 at 4:34 AM Post #4,593 of 6,418
MDR-Z1R are my current favorite universal headphones. They sound great with all genres, and have a surprisingly wide soundstage for close backs.

fully agree. after trying so many differed headphones, i realize how amazing the sony signature sound is. no matter what kind of music i hear, the "signature" shows its beauty.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #4,595 of 6,418
What else to do with a warm, sunny, British evening?

IMG_20220615_180609.jpg

Jun 16, 2022 at 12:42 AM Post #4,597 of 6,418
They occupy different price tiers, but would anyone be interested in a comparison between the Beyer T5p 2nd gen and TH900?
Absolutely! I have the T5p 2nd gen, but not a TH900 (and yours is gorgeous!), so I’d be keen to hear that comparison.

Jun 16, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #4,599 of 6,418
Ok cool! I'll see if I can make some free time this afternoon/eve for a bit of a write up.

I'll preface by saying they are very different sounding cans. Will be an interesting comparison.

Interested to hear.I have the t5.3 and if not for my need for a closed back, feel I probably would go for the mk2's...I really love the big and wide soundstage of the T5.

Jun 16, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #4,601 of 6,418
Haven't heard the gen 3s, but in comparison to the gen 2s, the soundstage (or the presentation thereof) is more open and expansive on the TH900s.
Yeah, I think the drivers and the semi open nature of 900's helps with that. I think that they are right up my alley, especially for electronic genres (not just 'edm')

Having said that, I'm just settling for now on having one pair which can also work in an office environment. Maybe I'll pick up a used pair of 900's once my son is older and I get more time to listen....

Jun 17, 2022 at 12:42 AM Post #4,602 of 6,418
Here is my review of the JM R7DX
Also posted under the review section for the headphones:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/hifiman-r7dx-jm-edition-mod.25879/reviews#review-28693

Setting A New Standard in Closed Backs. HE-R7DX JM OCD Extreme Stealth + Bass Edition
Pros:
Super fun and non-offensive Sound signature
Fantastic Bass Extension and Quality
Great Imaging
Decent sound stage for a closed back
Highs are nearly perfect for my ears
Price

Cons:
Can be heavy if you have sensitivity to weight (mod adds ~100g to over all weight)
Headband not great (Not part of the mod)
Ear pads can get hot (Not part of the mod)
In busy songs some of the minor details can be lost.

Where to get them:
https://www.jmaudioeditions.com/

First off, If you are looking for a set of closed back headphones in the sub the sub $750 range, look no further than these headphones. They are incredible and out preform many of the closed backs I've tried that cost 2-4 times as much. Seriously, try these headphone you won't be disappointed.

I have the new version of the mod, the Bass+ version. Which adds a bit more emphasis to the bass over the base mod.

I first heard of the JM edition from @John Massaria when I was having him mod some other headphones I own. He is a great and trust worthy guy who is super passionate about his mods and takes great care in modding headphones.

Details:
~$250
16ohms
101 db/watt
~450g
Detachable dual 1/8" plugs on the cup
Flexible rubber 5' cable terminated in 1/8" with 1/4" adapter
Closed Back

Now on to the review.

Comfort:
The comfort in fine. The pads are large enough for my ears not to touch the sides or the driver cover. They are also quite soft, though, they can get hot after long listening sessions. The headband is kinda thin and a little wonky to adjust.

Portability:
Most phones/laptops should be able to drive these headphones with out any problem or real lose in the low end or details.

Sound stage:
The sound stage, while not huge, is a quite impressive for a closed back of this price. Don't go into these expecting them to be an open back level of sound stage. The sound reaches a little past the distance of the cups. Making a decent sized circle of sound around your head. The sound stage is on par with most closed backs in the in the $500-$1000 range. Which is very impressive given that the R7DX is around $250.

Details and Accuracy:
The detail and accuracy are great too. The placement of instruments with in the sound stage is easy to pick out with very accurate plucking and reverberation. Especially on live recordings. The only thing I have noticed is that on some super busy and hectic songs some of the minor details can be lost and some of instruments and sound a little congested.

Highs:
The high are slightly recessed in the very top end range to give an overall more accessible and enjoyable sound signature. If you love the sound signature of the HD800 or any of the Grados high end headphone it may be a little lacking for your tastes. but to my sibilant sensitive ears they are just about the perfect balance of detailed and presence. With none of the occasional pain I get from something like the HD800. GO GO Cactus Man by the Seatbelts reaches just high enough to deliver a decently powerful presentation of the whistling in the song with out ever being overbearing.
Are they the be all end all of highs? No. But they are fantastic for a closed back.

Lows:
The lows are where this headphone truly shines. They reach deep and have fantastic rumble and power without bleeding into the mids. In 2049 by Hans Zimmer the bass presentation on these headphones reaches deep into the lows and reproduces the heavy rumble in the song with out sounding lose or bloated. In Sober by Childish Gambino and Trenches by Duke & Jones the bass has a very clean and powerful snap with fantastic speed and no bleeding into the mids.

Mids:
I'm never really been sure how to describe the mids. I would say they are natural with no real emphasis given to any particular range. So, very pleasant and enjoyable.

Overall:
The headphones are absolutely fantastic and are going to be very hard to beat for the price. Even with the minor problems with the detail and comfort(not part of the mod) I'm still going to give the headphone 5 stars. I can't think of another headphone in the sub $750 range that competes with these headphones. Truly they set a new standard for closed backs in the price range.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2022 at 4:06 AM Post #4,604 of 6,418
Has anyone compared directly the Shure SRH-1540 with either the EMU Teak or Fostex TH610?
I have owned all 3.

The Shure-1540 is the most Neutral sounding and most comfortable. They can often be described as kinda boring since they are so Neutral. They also have the best isolation of the 3 since the other 2 are semi closed back. It is also the lightest and the most portable of the bunch.

The Emu is a bass cannon of a headphone. It is kinda like a mini TH-900 in sound signature but not as accurate. I can't really remember much else about the sound.

The TH610 is a warm of neutral sound with more emphasis in the bass and sub bass. It is basically a tamed EMU Teak with beter mid presentation and detail. Still a fun headphone.

Jun 17, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #4,605 of 6,418
Speaking of the Fostex, I recently sold off my TH900 after getting the Denon D7200. The 900 was great, but the treble was too much for me and I find the Denon's tuning much more enjoyable.

Now I'm hunting (unsuccessfully) for a D9200 used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back