The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
May 9, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #4,471 of 6,418
Just to add, my stellia look even worse than that and are 6 weeks old lol, my only hope is the stain meets in the middle and its one dark headband.

Incidentally I've owned a lot of headphones, and the only ones that seem to all cosmetically stain are focals (Clear, Elegia and Stellia). I'm quite certain focal know what they're doing, it's a business strategy to devalue the used market. The Stellia for instance, we've likely all owned leather headphones here, has one of them stained due to hair oils? I've never seen it, or heard of it. Same for their suede pads which magically wear down and require replacing within a year or two, whereas every manufacturer somehow manages to make long lasting pads. It's a bit of a no brainer when you realise Focal also happen to sell some of the most overpriced pads in the industry ($250 for clear replacements...)

I love the Focal sound but their longevity and cosmetic issues are real considerations you need to make as a buyer, and their materials choices are dubious at best from a consumer perspective.

I have not put anything on my headband and it looks similar to his with huge dark marks. It's because Focal chose to use a very delicate leather...Meanwhile my P9s, 2 years old, leather, look identical to new. It's focals issue not the users.
Really? That's terrible cheap leather then. If that's true, on that alone I'll steer clear of those. Makes it an easy decision and makes my breathe a sigh of relief.

There's just no way they should be charging that much money for those like that.

May 9, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #4,472 of 6,418
Really? That's terrible cheap leather then. If that's true, on that alone I'll steer clear of those. Makes it an easy decision and makes my breathe a sigh of relief.

There's just no way they should be charging that much money for those like that.
Yeah, I can see why you'd say that and I respect it tbh. I knew they were the headphone I wanted (I tried many to get to that point) and I was aware of this caveat. It's dumb, but they sound so good and do things no other headphone can do while still being portably and drivable off even a smartphone.

May 9, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #4,473 of 6,418
Yeah, I can see why you'd say that and I respect it tbh. I knew they were the headphone I wanted (I tried many to get to that point) and I was aware of this caveat. It's dumb, but they sound so good and do things no other headphone can do while still being portably and drivable off even a smartphone.
Well, you can always put a cover on them or something. I mean you don't exactly see it when it's on your head. Their purpose is sound not looks. Plenty of worse looking headphones by design out there. I just think for the cost, they should make sure that doesn't happen. It's more me being a bit shocked.

I still will audition them soon. They'd be a future purchase if I like them, but this is somewhat of a factor in the decision. It gives me a little concern about build quality if that's what they choose.

May 9, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #4,474 of 6,418
You should try the Elegias with different pads and a better cable than what it comes with stock. I would say it's almost a must for the headphone. The Dekoni Limited Stellia pads really make a huge difference. I'm sure any PU, leather or sheepskin pads would be similar.

The Aeon 2 and LCD-XC are on my list for the future. Good to know the Aeon 2 aren't too weak in the rumble department.
Too bad that I sold them already. Aeon 2 are great in looks and build department, I would just watch out for their clamp and their famous lack of dynamics. I also got to try XC briefly. Not long enough to have definite sound impressions, but they weren't as heavy as I expected them to be. The new pads distribute the weight quite evenly. Though they are also not as comfortable as Focal - for me personally.

May 11, 2022 at 1:12 AM Post #4,475 of 6,418
Recently I want to buy a closed back headphones, budget is around 1K. I want something having good isolation. My only headphone experience is a Focal Elear, which is open back. I love my Elear and will keep it actually, just want to have a closed back to hear to when the background noise level is high.

Yesterday I went to the local Sony store and tried MDR-Z1R, the sound is amazing (perhaps because it was connected to a DMP-Z1 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:), but it doesn't isolate well. I could hear ppl talking at the customer service centre which is a few metres away. (Anyway I won't consider MDR-Z1R as it is out of my budget).

Any good suggestion? Now considering Fostex TH900mk2 or a DCA Aeon 2 Noire, but need to find some shop with demo unit...

May 11, 2022 at 1:30 AM Post #4,476 of 6,418
Recently I want to buy a closed back headphones, budget is around 1K. I want something having good isolation. My only headphone experience is a Focal Elear, which is open back. I love my Elear and will keep it actually, just want to have a closed back to hear to when the background noise level is high.

Yesterday I went to the local Sony store and tried MDR-Z1R, the sound is amazing (perhaps because it was connected to a DMP-Z1 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:), but it doesn't isolate well. I could hear ppl talking at the customer service centre which is a few metres away. (Anyway I won't consider MDR-Z1R as it is out of my budget).

Any good suggestion? Now considering Fostex TH900mk2 or a DCA Aeon 2 Noire, but need to find some shop with demo unit...
The closed-back Focals have pretty good noise isolation, and if you love the Elear you might greatly enjoy the Celestee, or a Radiance. Both can be found in used form for about $1,000 USD.

The first page of this thread is a great resource. I’d take a look there, I’ve got some comparisons noted for Focals there. I own an Elear as well and searched for “a closed Elear”. I ended up getting a Radiance, then sprung for a Stellia and never looked back.

Another option is the ZMF Eikon, though it is a 300 Ohm headphone and needs an amp to match. The ZMF Atticus could be another option. If you get lucky, either could fit in your budget. I continue to be blown away by the Eikon with my amps/sources.

More detail about your musical tastes and gear here will help people recommend more accurately. But the best tip I can give is “trust what you love”, and don’t second-guess that. I sold one Elear and ended up re-buying one- and made the same mistake with the Violectric V200. Hopefully I’ve learned now!

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 1:35 AM Post #4,477 of 6,418

Just wanted to let you know that TH900mk2 isolate even less than MDR-Z1R, as they are kind of semi-open... amazing headphones though.
Focal closed-backs (e.g. Stellia) isolate on par or maybe slightly better than MDR-Z1R, but not by much.
Just sharing from my experience of owning those headphones.
I actually just use Airpods Max now when I need isolation, and they sound quite good 🙃.
Good luck with your hunt!

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #4,478 of 6,418
The closed-back Focals have pretty good noise isolation, and if you love the Elear you might greatly enjoy the Celestee, or a Radiance. Both can be found in used form for about $1,000 USD.

The first page of this thread is a great resource. I’d take a look there, I’ve got some comparisons noted for Focals there. I own an Elear as well and searched for “a closed Elear”. I ended up getting a Radiance, then sprung for a Stellia and never looked back.

Another option is the ZMF Eikon, though it is a 300 Ohm headphone and needs an amp to match. The ZMF Atticus could be another option. If you get lucky, either could fit in your budget. I continue to be blown away by the Eikon with my amps/sources.

More detail about your musical tastes and gear here will help people recommend more accurately. But the best tip I can give is “trust what you love”, and don’t second-guess that. I sold one Elear and ended up re-buying one- and made the same mistake with the Violectric V200. Hopefully I’ve learned now!
Thanks for your comment.

Yes, I have also considered Celestee and Radiance coz of the Elear I currently own. But this time I would like to try other brands first (unlike other user in this forum, I won't keep many IEM/headphones nor I would sell my own stuffs). Stellia would be nice, but I think my gf will kill me if I buy one. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

If needed I could buy a headphone amp (maybe Schiit Magnius?), but the problem with ZMF Eikon is that it would be hard or impossible to have a demo unit (unlike US/Europe, there is no return policy in the place I live)

May 11, 2022 at 7:14 AM Post #4,479 of 6,418
May 11, 2022 at 9:09 AM Post #4,481 of 6,418
Somehow I missed this post in a stream of recent updates- the return of @Malevolent to The Dark Side! 😂🤗

My quick update in the closed-back world is the addition of ZMF Eikon LTD in bocote, which I love (and won’t shut up about).

It’s a great twin to my Auteur, and provides a less-resolving alternative to the Stellia. Very, very pleased with my “two ZMFs, two Focals” (open/closed from each company) approach/collection.

Then I use my Shures (1540s) as daily drivers, and sub in from the “high-end” others for “serious” music listening… sometimes with the incredible Sony WM1A.

Super happy camper now- only some matching top-notch cables remain to be bought over time, along with some vibration control tweaks for the amps/source gear.

D62023DF-AFDA-410C-8C08-F56A96419117.jpeg
Congrats on your nice collection! How does the 1540 fare on comfort versus the Focals?

May 12, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #4,482 of 6,418
Sennheiser HD280 Pro 64 ohm
Sennheiser HD598 Cs
Beyerdynamic DT 770
Sony MDR 7506
Marantz MPH-4 - Gifted
Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7
Sennheiser HD 300 Pro
Beyerdynamic DT 177x Go
Bose SoundTrue II wired around ear
Bowers & Wilkins PX Active Noise Cancelling Wireless Headphones - Gifted

So I was liking the Bose for streaming shows on the tablet, lightweight, comfortable and clear dialog but yesterday the Bowers PX arrived and I must say they are great. Quick pairing and great sound much more bass and overall fullness along with clarity. Very comfortable and cool proximity sensor works like a charm to pause and sleep. My favorite cans now.

Update: Back to the Bose after a couple days...... Gifted the Bowers and Marantz

Now rotating through the others.....

Last edited:
May 12, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #4,483 of 6,418
Thanks for your comment.

Yes, I have also considered Celestee and Radiance coz of the Elear I currently own. But this time I would like to try other brands first (unlike other user in this forum, I won't keep many IEM/headphones nor I would sell my own stuffs). Stellia would be nice, but I think my gf will kill me if I buy one. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

If needed I could buy a headphone amp (maybe Schiit Magnius?), but the problem with ZMF Eikon is that it would be hard or impossible to have a demo unit (unlike US/Europe, there is no return policy in the place I live)
Congrats on your nice collection! How does the 1540 fare on comfort versus the Focals?
The 1540s are perhaps the most comfortable headphones I own, which is the part of the reason they are my daily drivers for video calls, video trailer reviews, and anything sound-oriented.

They are plenty good enough sound-wise, and they are pretty light- and the Alcantara pads are incredible. I have owned these for 5+ years now, I think, with 3-4 hours usage a day on weekdays- and only now are the pads starting to complain. And SHURE SHIPS ANOTHER PAIR WITH THE HEADHONES! 😊

The Focals are very comfortable- but my ZMF Eikon with suede pads and suede Co-Pilot pad + the 1540s are a notch above.

May 12, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #4,484 of 6,418
Just wanted to put this here for now as I listen...
20220512_180856.jpg20220512_180939.jpg20220512_181107.jpg

May 13, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #4,485 of 6,418
The waveSounds are moving. Trading the city in for the Great British countryside (so the little one can grow up with country walks, nature, and the beach on her doorstep).

And of course, a new office space / listening room.

full

full

I plan on getting a better chair...

Progress has been made.

220513 Listening Room 01.jpg

220513 Listening Room 02.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back