The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Jan 25, 2022 at 11:25 PM Post #3,781 of 6,418
What are these closed back beauties ?

B8E67D96-B489-44F9-AF61-83ACC9403484.jpeg

Jan 26, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #3,784 of 6,418
@Malevolent - that is the perfect post. I think I'm going to look at more of your reviews because the way you described both headphones "fits" with how I think they compare.
You're welcome.

Let me know if you have any other questions with these headphones or with other closed-back options; I'll help, if I can. :)

Jan 26, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #3,785 of 6,418
So you're saying the D9200 is the closed back version of the Sennheiser 800? :p
Ha! With slightly-less strident treble, a meatier midrange, and better-textured lows. :wink:

HD 800 fans, please don't hurt me. :eyes:

Jan 26, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #3,786 of 6,418
Ha! With slightly-less strident treble, a meatier midrange, and better-textured lows. :wink:

HD 800 fans, please don't hurt me. :eyes:
They know where you live. You hear that knock on your front door?

Jan 26, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #3,787 of 6,418
I'm looking to purchse my first set of closed back cans.

I've posted a WTB in the classifieds, looking to spend about £350 ($500)

What sort of headphone used should I be looking at for that price?

I prefer a nuetral sound signature but it's not a deal breaker for me. Not a fan of bass heavy cans.
The original Aeon Flow Closed. Pure neutrality.

Jan 26, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #3,788 of 6,418
You could try to score a used Audeze Sine, for me they work very well as a neutral headphone once you change the stock pads for circum-aural pads. Out of the three you have I used to have the CD900ST which was exactly my kind of sound (balanced and intimate) but lacked the speed of my electrostats. With planars you get a big jump in resolution.
The Ether CX might another candidate with a bit of pad rolling but the polarizing reviews always put me off.
Ayo first things first thanks for the solid lookout, THUN.

Scored a used Audeze Sine for a little over a bill, and they’re a really great dark-neutral closed back on-ear. FR & clamp is a lot like a Planar BeyerDynamic DT250-80. And the construction seems as durable as a Beyer, but much more luxurious with all the solid metal and soft leather. This with its 3.5mm cable could be a portable end game for many who like flat bass and mids, and very laid back / dark upper mids and treble. The shape of the on-ear pad is actually quite good to get a decent seal for most human ear shapes.

Two questions for everyone on the board who has heard/owned AUDEZE SINE:

1. Has anyone done any pad/physical mods to make them more bright/tangy? I have read that the Vesper Circumaural takes away a tiny bit of bass (which I’m fine with), in exchange for significant boost to the very laid back / dark treble/upper mids.

2. I have also read the Cipher Cable adds about 3-4db of bass, and has an EQ app stored in its volume/mic, that saves the EQ setting in itself. Does this app work with Apple products / on App Store ?

I want Audeze to launch a limited edition WHITE/Cloud-Grey or WHITE/maple SINE.

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #3,789 of 6,418
Ayo first things first thanks for the solid lookout, THUN.

Scored a used Audeze Sine for a little over a bill, and they’re a really great dark-neutral closed back on-ear. FR & clamp is a lot like a Planar BeyerDynamic DT250-80. And the construction seems as durable as a Beyer, but much more luxurious with all the solid metal and soft leather. This with its 3.5mm cable could be a portable end game for many who like flat bass and mids, and very laid back / dark upper mids and treble. The shape of the on-ear pad is actually quite good to get a decent seal for most human ear shapes.

Two questions for everyone on the board who has heard/owned AUDEZE SINE:

1. Has anyone done any pad/physical mods to make them more bright/tangy? I have read that the Vesper Circumaural takes away a tiny bit of bass (which I’m fine with), in exchange for significant boost to the very laid back / dark treble/upper mids.

2. I have also read the Cipher Cable adds about 3-4db of bass, and has an EQ app stored in its volume/mic, that saves the EQ setting in itself. Does this app work with Apple products / on App Store ?

I want Audeze to launch a limited edition WHITE/Cloud-Grey or WHITE/maple SINE.
I owned the Sine for a short time, did not like it at all except its haptic quality. But I've yet to meet a planar I like...
I bought it as a mobile companion, but its on-ear design hurt me (like most on-ears do). I used it with the Cipher cable with my iPhone, so I guess the answer to your second question is "yes". That bass boost that seems hardwired into the Cipher cable gives me pause... why does a passive headphone need its own cable that's only available for a limited setting (iPhone only) to reach its target sound signature?

I did not try changing pads due to the shape of the cups, with their size not lending themselves to over-ear pads I guess. In general velour pads seem to make many headphones brighter btw, but I guess this depends much in the overall structure (foam, holes, geometry etc.). I don't remember it as especially laid back, just rather bland and lifeless. But that's a matter of taste of course.

Jan 27, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #3,790 of 6,418
For those that might be interested, I just posted my Liric review and comparison to the ATH-AWAS in the Head Gear section.

Jan 29, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #3,791 of 6,418
Thanks that helps to atleast dial the treble peaks down. My guess on those peaks was already very close. However i trust Oratorys measurements more plus he supplies great EQ adjustments if you are into the Harman Target (i am very much and i'm not ashamed of it :wink: ). For the Club One, i need a passive measurement using the cable. Tonality is very different wired.

Hi,

You are not alone. :smile: I also find that the Harman target response sounds pleasing to my brain. In the case of AKG and JBL, given their parent company is Harman Audio which is owned by Samsung, it is not surprising that their consumer/mass marketed headphones follow that target for the most part.

cheers,

--tom

Jan 29, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #3,792 of 6,418
For those that might be interested, I just posted my Liric review and comparison to the ATH-AWAS in the Head Gear section.
That was a very thorough comparative review; thanks for sharing your thoughts!

It has been several months since I've heard the ATH-AWAS and the ATH-AWKT, and I'm yearning for another go at them. Hopefully, I'll carve out some free time in the coming weeks so I can visit the Audio-Technica store for an audition. :)

Jan 29, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #3,793 of 6,418
Jan 29, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #3,794 of 6,418
The Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH 40 looks like a decent, portable choice. I have yet to hear it; although, I have its bigger brother, the Gjallarhorn GH 50. If the original is anything to go by, the new kid on the block should inherit some (or all) of its primary characteristics - strong but not overbearing bass, a muted treble response, and a warm, dark signature.

The Rognir Dynamic is an interesting choice, indeed - however, it doesn't look like a particularly portable piece. The same can be said for all of the ZMF cans; they are all rather massive, and are better suited for home use.

IMO, in terms of portability, off the top of my head, these are some of the better options on the market (up to $1,000) -

Audio-Technica ATH-WP900
Beyerdynamic T5 (3rd Generation)
Campfire Audio Cascade
Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Closed / Noire
Denon AH-D5200
Denon AH-D7200
Focal Elegia
Focal Celestee
Sony MDR-Z7M2
I’ve had the Wp900s for almost a year now - love the sound. So light you forget they’re there, rich sound with a wide dynamic range and depth. Today I auditioned the Focal Celestee as I’d heard and read excellent things about them.

They are technically excellent - certainly the detail my ears picked up felt more plentiful. The thing that really surprised me was the bass/sub bass. The WP900s sounded far richer here. The other thing, a trickier one to define, was simply that the music through the WP900s simply felt more musical/alive. I had the rare experience of my wife being with me during the audition and asked her thoughts after listening to a few of her favourite tracks through both headphones. Hands down she thought the WP900s had more presence and dynamism.

Now looking at my beautiful WP900s in a new light. They sound outstanding for the price.

Jan 29, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #3,795 of 6,418
I’ve had the Wp900s for almost a year now - love the sound. So light you forget they’re there, rich sound with a wide dynamic range and depth. Today I auditioned the Focal Celestee as I’d heard and read excellent things about them.

They are technically excellent - certainly the detail my ears picked up felt more plentiful. The thing that really surprised me was the bass/sub bass. The WP900s sounded far richer here. The other thing, a trickier one to define, was simply that the music through the WP900s simply felt more musical/alive. I had the rare experience of my wife being with me during the audition and asked her thoughts after listening to a few of her favourite tracks through both headphones. Hands down she thought the WP900s had more presence and dynamism.

Now looking at my beautiful WP900s in a new light. They sound outstanding for the price.
It might be interesting for you to try the Focal Radiance- it has a warmer sound than other Focal headphones, more tuned to match Naim gear. It has a rich bass presence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back