The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Jul 19, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #2,131 of 6,330
On the back of this thread and Malevolent's excellent insights, I tried to source the Denon D9200 but here in the UK it's out of stock everywhere with no guaranteed ETAs.
So I'm trying the Fostex TH-900 Mk2's and I'm liking them. They are glorious to look at and the handcrafted production adds to the enjoyment of ownership IMO.
The bass is effortless and well-executed. Compared to the T5P gen 2's which do have some bass bleed, I don't find it boomy at all. I do however find the treble a bit frizzy on some tracks. I find this surprising as Mother Nature and Father Time have EQ'd my ears for me so I can't hear solid tones above 12khz :triportsad:
Is there a pad rolling solution to tame this without killing the rest of the signature? If I can do this I'll keep them.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #2,132 of 6,330
On the back of this thread and Malevolent's excellent insights, I tried to source the Denon D9200 but here in the UK it's out of stock everywhere with no guaranteed ETAs.
So I'm trying the Fostex TH-900 Mk2's and I'm liking them. They are glorious to look at and the handcrafted production adds to the enjoyment of ownership IMO.
The bass is effortless and well-executed. Compared to the T5P gen 2's which do have some bass bleed, I don't find it boomy at all. I do however find the treble a bit frizzy on some tracks. I find this surprising as Mother Nature and Father Time have EQ'd my ears for me so I can't hear solid tones above 12khz :triportsad:
Is there a pad rolling solution to tame this without killing the rest of the signature? If I can do this I'll keep them.
During my time with the TH900 Blue I liked the combination of the dekoni hybrid pads combined with the attenuation inlay the best for my taste. That was before I was introduced to the ADI-2 DAC which can fix that treble issue while keeping the original pads (though I preferred the dekoni hybrid pads for fit and comfort as well).

Jul 19, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #2,133 of 6,330
... and talking about blue.
The Focal Celestee are my favourite closed-backs to date. I prefer them over the Stellia (if we take money as one of the factors) and am loving those dynamics as compared to the lifeless DCA Ether C Flow 1.1 (which is not a bad headphone at all, but it is lifeless compared to the Celestee). If I switch directly to the DT177X GO that headphone is just a bit wider, due to the thicker leather pads they come with. The DT177X GO is also a bit more V shaped as compared to the Celestee while the Celestee has the bigger bass presence at the same level, same EQ. The mids feel more recessed with the DT177X GO.
I like both and will keep both.
One can never have enough headphones.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #2,134 of 6,330
Yeah I've heard the flows also have a clamp but that may vary?
The Ether C Flow is a very comfortable headphone; I didn't experience any major usability issues during my myriad auditions. For a full-sized planar, it is also relatively light at 380g. All in all, comfort shouldn't be a (problematic) factor.

Jul 19, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #2,135 of 6,330

I ended up choosing the DCA Noire's over the T5P gen 2, and also noticed they had a bit of bass bleed...but were overall pretty competent headphones, and built like tanks. I reckon the MKII is an ideal headphone for me, but no way I can justify that price increase when you can get a used T5 for 1/3 the $$$.

Jul 19, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #2,136 of 6,330
I managed to listen to the Rögnir today, thanks to a very friendly and helpful Head-Fier. Much appreciated - you know who you are! :)

First things first, they look really pretty up close. The Rögnir has a classy and upmarket appearance; perfectly befitting its status as the brand's closed-back flagship. Clamp force was also minimal, and in tandem with its relatively light mass, I thoroughly enjoyed my solid 30 minutes audition, from the perspective of comfort.

On to the sound - this is truly one of the best closed-back headphones that I've heard, thus far. It oozed detail out of every pore, with excellent dynamics and layering throughout. You could easily discern the multiple sheets of instruments and/or voices within each track. If you're looking for a closed headphone with top-tier clarity, you can't go wrong with the Rögnir. Typical of a planar, bass is fast with good transients; articulation and presentation in the lows is one of the best around, too. Sadly, though, the mid-bass falls a couple of notches shy of what I'd normally like in my headphone. Make no mistake, the general public - huge bassheads excluded - will certainly enjoy the Rögnir's effortless ability in crafting an impactful low-end response.

The midrange on the Rögnir is similarly impressive, with a slight tinge of warmth to round out the headphone's supreme ability in the technical aspect of things. There is some sizzle and sparkle in the highs, but this isn't a bright headphone; rather, the higher registers are present without being overbearing, prominent without sounding harsh.

Ultimately, the Rögnir is an excellent example of a closed-back headphone done right. It has a relatively balanced signature that eschews any offensive forays into overabundance in any portion of its frequency spectrum. Without resorting to hyperbole, this is one of the few closed-back headphones that can easily swim with the top-end open-back cans.

Jul 19, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #2,137 of 6,330
I managed to listen to the Rögnir today, thanks to a very friendly and helpful Head-Fier. Much appreciated - you know who you are! :)

First things first, they look really pretty up close. The Rögnir has a classy and upmarket appearance; perfectly befitting its status as the brand's closed-back flagship. Clamp force was also minimal, and in tandem with its relatively light mass, I thoroughly enjoyed my solid 30 minutes audition, from the perspective of comfort.

On to the sound - this is truly one of the best closed-back headphones that I've heard, thus far. It oozed detail out of every pore, with excellent dynamics and layering throughout. You could easily discern the multiple sheets of instruments and/or voices within each track. If you're looking for a closed headphone with top-tier clarity, you can't go wrong with the Rögnir. Typical of a planar, bass is fast with good transients; articulation and presentation in the lows is one of the best around, too. Sadly, though, the mid-bass falls a couple of notches shy of what I'd normally like in my headphone. Make no mistake, the general public - huge bassheads excluded - will certainly enjoy the Rögnir's effortless ability in crafting an impactful low-end response.

The midrange on the Rögnir is similarly impressive, with a slight tinge of warmth to round out the headphone's supreme ability in the technical aspect of things. There is some sizzle and sparkle in the highs, but this isn't a bright headphone; rather, the higher registers are present without being overbearing, prominent without sounding harsh.

Ultimately, the Rögnir is an excellent example of a closed-back headphone done right. It has a relatively balanced signature that eschews any offensive forays into overabundance in any portion of its frequency spectrum. Without resorting to hyperbole, this is one of the few closed-back headphones that can easily swim with the top-end open-back cans.
How does it compare with your other headphones, specifically AH-9200 and Gjallarhorn? Do you feel like the price is justified? Would you buy it?

Jul 19, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #2,138 of 6,330
The Ether C Flow is a very comfortable headphone; I didn't experience any major usability issues during my myriad auditions. For a full-sized planar, it is also relatively light at 380g. All in all, comfort shouldn't be a (problematic) factor.
Good to know. I may just make the jump on it 1st, from the many reviews i've read (and the frequency response) the Gjellarhorn JM it seems more of a balanced fun headphone like the D9200 (different sound i'm sure though, not saying that's bad either) rather than the closer to neutral that i'm hunting for at the moment.

Jul 19, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #2,139 of 6,330
I ended up choosing the DCA Noire's over the T5P gen 2, and also noticed they had a bit of bass bleed...but were overall pretty competent headphones, and built like tanks. I reckon the MKII is an ideal headphone for me, but no way I can justify that price increase when you can get a used T5 for 1/3 the $$$.

i had the Noires for a week but sent them back. I liked everything about them other than the sound signature. They just lacked any kind on dynamism and excitement. The mids seemed flat also.
I picked up a T5p gen 2 for not much money and preferred them as they were much more punchy for the music I listen to. I still have them. But I prefer the 900 mk2s. Just need a slight tweak to that treble.

Jul 20, 2021 at 4:07 AM Post #2,140 of 6,330
How does it compare with your other headphones, specifically AH-9200 and Gjallarhorn? Do you feel like the price is justified? Would you buy it?
The Gjallarhorn is a unique proposition, in comparison with the Rögnir. It's darker, has heavier bass, has a greater heft and weight to its music, and has poorer technicalities. However, for fans of its darker, bass-driven sound, it'll be hard to part with the Gjallarhorn for almost any other headphone. Certainly, you won't be enjoying the same sound, especially if you crave well-textured bass replete with potent, impactful beats.

Hence, the AH-D9200 is the better match for the Rögnir; both headphones are relatively balanced in tone. The Rögnir edges the Denon in sheer detail retrieval - this is a stunning characteristic of the Kennerton, IMO. However, the bass on the AH-D9200 is crafted in an equal manner, whilst edging past the Rögnir in impact and vigor.

Do I find the price justified? Well, in the realm of headphones, we have flagships priced above $4,000 (e.g. Utopia, Susvara, Abyss, D8000 Pro), whilst in the IEM world, things seem a little more extreme in terms of pricing (e.g. Traillii JP, Mason FS, Erlkönig, Thummim). Thus, I think that the Rögnir is well-costed in today's market. Prices are surely only going to shoot upward (as it has for years now), so I wouldn't expect a headphone with the looks and sound of Kennerton's latest incarnation to be slapped with a sticker tag that's below $2,000. In comparison with some of the best headphones on the market, I personally feel that it's priced relatively well. It's certainly not cheap, but it isn't insanely prohibitive either.

Would I buy it? Yes, but not at this present moment, I feel. I'm currently mulling over a purchase that involves the Utopia, the Empyrean or the Rögnir. Within this bunch, the Empyrean gets my vote for tone, signature and fun, whilst the Utopia gets top marks for technical brilliance without losing the spirit of musicality. The Rögnir doesn't offer the sheer enjoyment of the Meze, but it doesn't stand toe-to-toe with the Focal in terms of absolute detail either. Hence, this leaves the Rögnir as the odd-man out of the trio. If I was in the market for another closed-back, the Rögnir would certainly take the honors. As it stands, however, I think that I might go for my first open-back headphone instead.

Jul 20, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #2,141 of 6,330
I think I'm gonna stick with some Elegia I picked up for $400 due to price. However I'm looking at adding some new pads to it so they're a bit more comfortable.

Doesn't seem the fenestrated pads are recommended. Dekoni seems to have two non-fenestrated available and I can't really get a good reading on which to get. They have a "Limited Edition" set and their "Elite Sheepskin" set. Anyone have any personal experience with either of those? I found some positive impressions of the Elite Sheepskin on the Elegia but not much on those limited edition. The other pads available all seem not to be recommended for the Elegia.

Jul 22, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #2,143 of 6,330
I see the Japanese TAGO Studio T3-01 mentioned in lots of posts but no actual review. The creator is a composer/musician/producer who also runs a recording studio. CD Japan are selling them for 54000 yen/415 euro.
I think @Nostoi once mentioned that he was also intrigued with this particular headphone. It's a rarity on the forums, that's for sure. I have never once seen it during my myriad trips to the big audio shops in Tokyo.. or maybe I did, but I just don't remember. :thinking:

Anyway, if anyone has any impressions, please consider sharing them with us! :)

Jul 22, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #2,144 of 6,330
I think @Nostoi once mentioned that he was also intrigued with this particular headphone. It's a rarity on the forums, that's for sure. I have never once seen it during my myriad trips to the big audio shops in Tokyo.. or maybe I did, but I just don't remember. :thinking:

Anyway, if anyone has any impressions, please consider sharing them with us! :)
Indeed, quite intrigued. I know they're available from Headphones Audition in Amsterdam, who are very good to deal with.

Definitely curious to give them a whirl at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back