The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Nov 27, 2020 at 1:09 AM Post #1,036 of 6,351
So just to be clear, you're driving all of these headphones directly from your computer and phone?
That's correct. Primarily from my computer. Before I purchased anything, I had a couple of criteria that were "deal breakers". Impedance being one, online reviews being another. As soon as I figured out how much sensitivity can affect sound, I used that one as well. So some HP's that I wanted to try didn't make the cut...... the Verite Closed is one that I really wanted to try, but with an impedance of 300, I knew it wouldn't work using only my computer.

Man, this is a hell of a review!! Thanks for that read.
I found that the Stellia stock cable is its bottleneck. If you ever have a chance to try them with a quality occ silver cable, then ... well, for your wallet it’s probably better you don’t hear that combo :wink:
It gets to a great allrounder because of the extension in the highs and more balanced sound. Anyways, have fun listening to your combo you have right now and good luck for finding your „pair“ in the near future!

Thank you! You're welcome. It was quite an endeavor.... I'm not sure I'd want to do it again! This is very interesting.... I may have to try that, thank you for the suggestion. Or as you said, maybe you're right, I should ignore it!

@TSelanne very elaborate shootout, congratulations. I know some of the models you tried out, interestingly you assessment differs quite a bit from mine, I think with all models I know — like with the TH900, which has too aggressive bass for me (and I do like bass), and also misses refinement in treble for my ears. But that’s beside the point, which, after all, was for you to find headphones that match your taste. Always happy to hear a good model was found. Don’t get drawn into a quest for the one and final... there’s mich money to be lost and little to be gained I think: I‘d even say, that one perfect thing does not exist. Or to be more positive: you may already have found it. You just need to accept that and not get drawn away :wink:

Thank you for those thoughts, much appreciated. It's interesting that you say this, because when I started the effort, I was fully expecting to find a pair that hit all 3 criteria. As I got deeper and deeper into the process, I did begin feeling a little disappointed. Then I remembered I'm blessed to have the resources to even afford one of these, and the time to review them all. So things weren't all that bad. And, after all that work, I think I would like to keep these for a while now and enjoy them as much as possible. :)

Wow, this is amazing! That's a very thorough comparison of a large number of headphones! Kudos, my friend!

There are many points that I agree with, but some I don't. Like you've said, it's the very nature of this hobby - it's subjective, for the most part. :)

Anyway, it appears that you're almost at the end of the road for closed-back headphones in the upper echelons; there's not many left to try. Good luck for the rest of your journey of discovery!

Thank you for those thoughts, much appreciated. Yes, this headphone business truly is subjective.... what sound good to one, may sound bad to another. I read many of your reviews along the way (as reading reviews to see if each HP's qualities might be compatible was a prerequisite for me to purchase), so thank you for taking the time and effort to post such deep and thorough reviews, they were most helpful!

On a side note, I sent you a pm regarding cables.

Thank you very much for all your effort. I hope your wife will forgive one day about this crazy search for the holy grail...

Like me, you listen rock and metal and you say you enjoyed a lot those genres with the AH-D9200 (like you briefly said me in the 9200 thread), so that is a good new for me. Now comfort is my only worry...
Haha yes, I was mostly joking about my wife.... once she got over the initial "price tag shock", things were ok. I'm not sure she ever became comfortable with Stellia's price tag though!

Yes!, I love metal. Probably 80% of my listening-to-music-time is metal. As I mentioned, I loved both the d9200 and the MKII's (w/Dekoni pads). I think choosing either will make you happy listener! I suppose the only way you'll know comfort is to try them both. Let us know what you try and what you think.

I hate you @Malevolent . :smile: :smirk:

Now, i've to give the 9200 a serious shot. :see_no_evil:
Sometimes, the lows on my 7200 are a bit too much for me.
Maybe the 9200 will be the right on for some genres. Will have a look at the D9200 soon.
Thank you guys. :)

Yes, the d9200 is a great HP. Let us know what you think.

Nov 27, 2020 at 1:30 AM Post #1,037 of 6,351
Your experience is very similar to mine and I feel pretty identified with your journey (I'm a rookie too and Rock is on top of my genres list).
Nice! *brofist* Rock 'n roll my man.

I'm also eyeing the TH900 mk2 as "THE PAIR" but the battle with the Z1r is going to be really fun to see, or to hear, because right now I just want to keep'em for good. @Malevolent is right, I'm a MDR-Z1r convert :)

Maybe if the D9200 weren't so uncomfortable for me, I would've stick with their awesome sound signature (best I've heard) but also I would've deprive my self for trying other HPs as the Z1r, Z7m2, TH900 and who knows, others to come.

Congratulations on the TH900, I expect mine on mid December and I'm not sure if I have to change the stock pads with your Dekoni recommendation because the inner size seems smaller.

So you've tried the d9200 and didn't like the fit / comfort? I think that's what you're saying.... I'm just clarifying. Sounds like you're a big fan of the Zr1's?

Great that you're trying the MKII's, for someone who likes rock/metal genre, I think you'll find them very nice sounding. I'm listening to Dream Theater while I type this, and gosh these HP's sound so good! :) However, I'm worried that if the d9200's weren't comfortable for you, the MKII's won't be either, especially w/the Dekoni pads. Yes, as you mentioned there is a little less room in the opening, so it condenses the inner part just a little.... if that makes sense. Although!, they are deeper, so maybe that difference might make them actually more comfortable?

For my ears, it came down to, would I rather have the outside of my ear constantly touching the inside of the HP (d9200)?, or would I rather have the backside of my ear constantly touching the inside part of the pad (Dekoni pad on the MKII)? For me, the backside of my ear is much more forgiving / less sensitive, so these work for me pretty well. I've put quite a lot of hours on both, and these do feel quite better, especially after long sessions.

I REALLY wished the Ether C ear pads didn't change the sound so dramatically (on either the d9200 or MKII)...... 'cause they are just perfect IMHO.

If you don't mind the extra time involved in completing a return, I'd suggest giving them a shot to see what you think. As I mentioned, they made a big difference for me, and I'm very happy I tried them. And of course, please report back, I'm going to be super curious as to your thoughts / impressions.

I had the same problem with the AWKT, however @Nostoi disagrees maybe in part because of the high tech gear he uses, which seems to improve in a highly manner the performance of HPs. Had comfort issues with the AWKT too.

The truth is, if with a cellphone or laptop you're enjoying already what you hear, more experienced people would tell you there's only improvement and better things to come if you decide to take that step and get serious with amps/dacs/daps. For me, a more powerful DAP is on my sight, but no more than that.

I appreciate you saying this. I probably listen to enough music to make it worth it. I also understand it often becomes another hobby, and I'm not sure if I have time for yet another hobby.... so much I'm already doing and time is always a constraint..... it's our most finite resource. I have no doubt that with a great amp/dac/whatever setup, a lot of the HP's I listened to could/would sound much better.

At this point in my "headphone career" (haha), I wouldn't have the slightest idea where to even begin. Probably another fun exercise for another day. :)

Nov 27, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #1,038 of 6,351
That's correct. Primarily from my computer. Before I purchased anything, I had a couple of criteria that were "deal breakers". Impedance being one, online reviews being another. As soon as I figured out how much sensitivity can affect sound, I used that one as well. So some HP's that I wanted to try didn't make the cut...... the Verite Closed is one that I really wanted to try, but with an impedance of 300, I knew it wouldn't work using only my computer.

While I do listen from my dedicated amp and dac, I honestly don't mind listening with the VC coming directly from my laptop, and also from my Samsung S10 phone. They still sound quite nice from either of the sources. I usually direct connect the VC to my laptop if I have to take it far away from my usual setup, and to phone when I plop to bed.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 1:57 AM Post #1,039 of 6,351
While I do listen from my dedicated amp and dac, I honestly don't mind listening to the VC coming directly from my laptop, and also from my Samsung S10 phone. They still sound quite nice from either of the sources. I usually direct connect the VC to my laptop if I have to take it far away from my usual setup, and to phone when I plop to bed.

Very interesting.

By VC, you're referring to the Verite Closed? If yes.....
- how can your s10 and/or laptop power them w/a 300 impedance profile? Wouldn't full volume (at the phone or computer) only put them at like 30-40%? (I also have an s10)

Nov 27, 2020 at 3:27 AM Post #1,040 of 6,351
Thank you for those thoughts, much appreciated. It's interesting that you say this, because when I started the effort, I was fully expecting to find a pair that hit all 3 criteria. As I got deeper and deeper into the process, I did begin feeling a little disappointed. Then I remembered I'm blessed to have the resources to even afford one of these, and the time to review them all. So things weren't all that bad. And, after all that work, I think I would like to keep these for a while now and enjoy them as much as possible. :)

That's good to hear :)
While I fully understand the urge to play around with gear, I also sometimes come to think that enjoying music gets a bit of a backseat here too often... but I think gear should only support listening -- which is why I long ago switched to what I like to call very fast assessment... I don't spend much time with critical listening anymore, neither with comparisons (which makes @Malevolent 's efforts all the more helpful to me).
I think you laid a solid groundwork for enjoying the model that came out of your tests -- enjoy!

Of course the best advice I can give is to immediately delete your head-if account and never come back :wink:

Nov 27, 2020 at 3:30 AM Post #1,041 of 6,351
Very interesting.

By VC, you're referring to the Verite Closed? If yes.....
- how can your s10 and/or laptop power them w/a 300 impedance profile? Wouldn't full volume (at the phone or computer) only put them at like 30-40%? (I also have an s10)

Yes VC as in Verite Closed. As I'm writing this, the volume from my laptop is at 40% with this dubstep track I'm currently listening to (I primarily listen to EDM). I don't feel comfortable listening above 50%. On my S10, the volume level is currently at level 9 (9 being the number of times I pressed the volume up button from silent), or the max level before the volume bar turns into orange/red. I can press up at most to level 12 before my ears starts to hurt, and I don't want to destroy the driver by maxing out my phone. Also EDM is heavily compressed music, so it may vary with different genres and recordings.

Even on my amps, the volume dials start around 7 o'clock and I wouldn't listen to my VC past 9. So yea the volume is not that hard to drive. What I get from the amps are better imaging and separation, soundstage, other subtle things, but I can totally live with just listening to my S10 all day. I wish I could walk outside with it though.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #1,044 of 6,351
Nov 27, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #1,046 of 6,351
That's good to hear :)
While I fully understand the urge to play around with gear, I also sometimes come to think that enjoying music gets a bit of a backseat here too often... but I think gear should only support listening -- which is why I long ago switched to what I like to call very fast assessment... I don't spend much time with critical listening anymore, neither with comparisons (which makes @Malevolent 's efforts all the more helpful to me).
I think you laid a solid groundwork for enjoying the model that came out of your tests -- enjoy!

Of course the best advice I can give is to immediately delete your head-if account and never come back :wink:
Yes, I have though a lot about that... Sometimes, when I read the forum I think: Are these people listening to headphones or listening to music?...

... But when you have your priorities in life is good to see other people experiencies, and based on that, choose the headphones that you think you will like with your music and enjoy different approaches of the music you love.

Nov 27, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #1,047 of 6,351
Haha yes, I was mostly joking about my wife.... once she got over the initial "price tag shock", things were ok. I'm not sure she ever became comfortable with Stellia's price tag though!

Yes!, I love metal. Probably 80% of my listening-to-music-time is metal. As I mentioned, I loved both the d9200 and the MKII's (w/Dekoni pads). I think choosing either will make you happy listener! I suppose the only way you'll know comfort is to try them both. Let us know what you try and what you think.
When I said to my wife that the Beyer DT 1990 Pro costed me 290 € (I bought from a guy that bought them and didn't use, was sealed) he though I was crazy about spend just an insane amount of money for a headphone... Then I said to her: ok I will never say you again the price of my HPs :relieved: Now with a 350 € second hand Z7 enjoying a lot the "Spiritual Front" last album -Amour Braque- (I love it's sound with these headphones, so much better than with the Beyer T 1.3 and HD 800. But I don't like the Z7 for almost all my metal albums); and looking for a deal around 1000 € for the AH-D9200...

I listen mostly to metal with my cheapo IEMs when I'm working outside. But sometimes (when I'm on the mood) I want to listen with my DAC/AMP at home. I hope the 9200 will fit me, where I live is impossible to try headphones (even before the pandemic).

Nov 27, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #1,048 of 6,351
Placed an order this mornin instantly.
Couldn't resist. :smile:
Congratulations! What was the listed price? :)

It appears that the AH-D9200 fan club is growing at a steady pace!

By the way, here's a question for everyone - What have you purchased this Black Friday? :wink:

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #1,049 of 6,351
Thank you for those thoughts, much appreciated. Yes, this headphone business truly is subjective.... what sound good to one, may sound bad to another. I read many of your reviews along the way (as reading reviews to see if each HP's qualities might be compatible was a prerequisite for me to purchase), so thank you for taking the time and effort to post such deep and thorough reviews, they were most helpful!

On a side note, I sent you a pm regarding cables.
You're welcome!

This hobby is both fun, but also a little insane, to be honest. With the myriad options on the market, and with new products coming to term at an increasing pace, it's hard to keep up with the new developments. Thus, this thread's purpose is to help one another discover and learn about the many closed-back headphones available. Hopefully, it'll continue to grow as a veritable resource. :)

Nov 27, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #1,050 of 6,351
Yes VC as in Verite Closed. As I'm writing this, the volume from my laptop is at 40% with this dubstep track I'm currently listening to (I primarily listen to EDM). I don't feel comfortable listening above 50%. On my S10, the volume level is currently at level 9 (9 being the number of times I pressed the volume up button from silent), or the max level before the volume bar turns into orange/red. I can press up at most to level 12 before my ears starts to hurt, and I don't want to destroy the driver by maxing out my phone. Also EDM is heavily compressed music, so it may vary with different genres and recordings.

Even on my amps, the volume dials start around 7 o'clock and I wouldn't listen to my VC past 9. So yea the volume is not that hard to drive. What I get from the amps are better imaging and separation, soundstage, other subtle things, but I can totally live with just listening to my S10 all day. I wish I could walk outside with it though.
Of the headphones in my collection, the Vérité Closed is one of the hardest to drive; I reckon a proper amplifier could only do wonders for this headphone. I actually cannot fathom driving it directly from my computer. :sweat_smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back