The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Sep 9, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #301 of 6,418
I'm also very interested in this comparison. I believe @Malevolent has a set of VC incoming, so might be able to provide a comparison.
the description of the AWTK is dead on, I loved my set, has anyone compared these to ZMF Verite Closed ?!?!
@wazzupi Yeah, I did order a Vérité Closed in early July; however, some production issues have resulted in a slight but tolerable delay. Hopefully, I should be getting my hands on my unit sooner, rather than later. I'll be very happy to compare these 2 top-tier closed-back headphones. :)

Sep 9, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #302 of 6,418
Does anyone here have impressions of the JVC HA-SW01? I'm somewhat intrigued by this headphone and also by little attention it's received. Any impressions on sound signature and technical aspects would be most welcome.

Sep 9, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #303 of 6,418
Does anyone here have impressions of the JVC HA-SW01? I'm somewhat intrigued by this headphone and also by little attention it's received. Any impressions on sound signature and technical aspects would be most welcome.
Yeah, those 2 wood-domed headphones sound very intriguing, indeed. However, it's very hard to get a hold of them, and reviews are few and far between. There are some impressions here on Head-Fi, though. :)

Sep 9, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #304 of 6,418
Yeah, those 2 wood-domed headphones sound very intriguing, indeed. However, it's very hard to get a hold of them, and reviews are few and far between. There are some impressions here on Head-Fi, though. :)
Thanks - @Punslayer was kind enough just to give an impression on that thread (apologies for spamming both threads with my query).

It seems they're still available in Japan, which is not ideal but I will likely order a pair nevertheless.

Sep 9, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #305 of 6,418
Very interesting, thanks. Just on a subjective level - if I may - can you expand on how you hear the L5000 as being aggressive? In what areas? I would love to demo a pair and see how they compare to the AWAS/AWKT myself. Does the L5000 achieve anything on a technical front that outclasses the AWKT?

You're right about the seal on the AWAS/AWKT. I wear glasses and have to wear my wire frame glasses to avoid seal issues; once on, though, they seal pretty well. Something to be aware of if potential buyers have thicker frames on their glasses.
I have contacts in and problem is fixed. I hate glasses and how they sit on my nose. They also make me look like a super nerd. Lol 😂

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #306 of 6,418
@Malevolent Well I got the Fx-audio tube-p1 tube amp for my BDay coming up. I hope it sounds good on my AWKT with my Airist R-2R DAC. I watched Zeos review of it and he liked it. I just want to get into the tube amp stuff and not spend crazy money yet. Your thoughts. :)

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #308 of 6,418
Eye-watering collection. How does the wp900 match up to its bigger brothers and cousins?
WP900 has its own unmistakable charm even if it lacks the technical refinement of the others.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #310 of 6,418
"technical refinement" is a understatement... Lol
Well, what it loses in terms of technical ability, the WP900 gains in looks and a thoroughly enjoyable sound. A decent trade-off, I feel. :wink:

Sep 10, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #311 of 6,418
Well, what it loses in terms of technical ability, the WP900 gains in looks and a thoroughly enjoyable sound. A decent trade-off, I feel. :wink:
I put them on and took 30min and sat and had the WP900 and the AWAS and the AWKT a week ago at a friends house. I got the AWKT because it had the sound I was after and super clear. I did like the AWAS and how it was a layed back AWKT and warmer. The AWKT has that polished sound and the AT house sound. :)

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #313 of 6,418
Thanks - @Punslayer was kind enough just to give an impression on that thread (apologies for spamming both threads with my query).

It seems they're still available in Japan, which is not ideal but I will likely order a pair nevertheless.
Well, I hope that you do press ahead to obtain a pair. For the price, they may be underrated stars. Looking forward to your impressions! :)

Sep 10, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #314 of 6,418
The WP900 are the first cans I've worn much less owned in ~6 years. I am 100% about portable/transportable use, so my needs aren't the same as others who are after TOTL stuff, for the most part. I provide this context before saying: The WP900 have been somewhat of a revelation to me. I have never enjoyed headphones as much as I enjoy these; I have never owned hp's that I wanted on my head for hours on end.

These have totally changed my outlook on future purchases. I thought I was going to be in the land of IEM-only going forward. I'm glad my unwillingness to spend 100's of $ on Ch-fi IEMs took me in this rather unexpected direction very recently. I was away from the hobby for over 5 years until a few months ago, so my knowledge base is way lower than others 'round these parts. In this case, it helped me get to gear I otherwise would not have tried (even as someone who has always loved the aesthetics of AT woodies).

Sep 10, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #315 of 6,418
The WP900 are the first cans I've worn much less owned in ~6 years. I am 100% about portable/transportable use, so my needs aren't the same as others who are after TOTL stuff, for the most part. I provide this context before saying: The WP900 have been somewhat of a revelation to me. I have never enjoyed headphones as much as I enjoy these; I have never owned hp's that I wanted on my head for hours on end.

These have totally changed my outlook on future purchases. I thought I was going to be in the land of IEM-only going forward. I'm glad my unwillingness to spend 100's of $ on Ch-fi IEMs took me in this rather unexpected direction very recently. I was away from the hobby for over 5 years until a few months ago, so my knowledge base is way lower than others 'round these parts. In this case, it helped me get to gear I otherwise would not have tried (even as someone who has always loved the aesthetics of AT woodies).

I own the LCD-Xs and HD800 and while those are technically superior, I am enjoying my WP900 more atm. Though the Xs are still my all-time favourite.
Depends what you're looking for. I rate pleasure over truth, someone else might like the clarity of the HD800 or other AT flagships over the WP900

Users who are viewing this thread

Back