The classic question: Beyer's DT 770 pro or DT990 pro? Which one suits me best?
Aug 10, 2019 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

thevoyager

New Head-Fier
Hello people, I'm a newcomer on this forum and on headphones in general. Thanks for having me.
So, I'm an aspiring musician and a fairly beginner on audio production. Sometimes I rehearse with my band and play live and sometimes I make music by myself at home using a 2i2 interface. I also enjoy a lot listening to some good music productions and want to get a better experience on that.
That explained, I'm planning on getting a new pair of headphones but I can't decide which one I should get for now: a closed back or open back. The closed back is a good thing for playing at rehearsals and recording, but I really would like to have a taste on a open back soundstage and relief... plus I have never owned an open back in my life and they can be good for audio production.

I currently use a pair of Sennheiser's HD201 on a Scarlett 2i2 interface. But I'm thinking on moving to a Beyer's DT 770 or 990 pro. Which one would suit me best? I'm really sorry if my question is nonsense.

(Maybe in the future I could get a pair of M50x's as well... so...)

Thanks!!

Aug 11, 2019 at 4:10 AM Post #2 of 3
All other things being equal, an open back headphone is generally going to sound better than a comparable closed in most settings. One exception would be live music monitoring, where the open won't really work, for obvious reasons. Two others I would suggest you look at in this general price range are the SoundMAGIC HP200 (open) and HP151 (Closed). Both are terrific and neither requires a dedicated amp. Good values both.

Aug 11, 2019 at 7:43 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for the recommendations!
So, that's why I'm kinda indecisive. Other question is: Are the open back headphones unbearable for other people around? I sleep with another person in my room, would they hear a lot of my headphones or is it a reasonable amount of sound leakage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back