The Clash-- "London Calling" in a Jaguar commercial...
Jul 23, 2002 at 6:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
I saw, I heard it, but I still couln't believe it. The Clash is now advertising Jaguars. Further proof that punk is dead as if any more was needed.

We have truly crossed through the looking glass, here, people!

markl

Jul 23, 2002 at 7:16 PM Post #2 of 7
Here's a little-known fact about advertising and music...

If the advertiser approaches an artist and asks to use a song in a commercial and the artist says no, the advertiser can hire a studio band to perform the song and NOT have to pay royalities to the original artist. One caveat is they can't change any lyrics.

Given the law being what it is I can't blame them for 'selling out'. On one hand they have thier song used and they don't get paid, on the other they have thier song used and do get paid. Which would you pick?

Jul 23, 2002 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 7
Mick Jones and Joe Strummer are both still making good music.

Jaguar however are dead - it's a Ford with a Jaguar badge. This means that you can now buy a Jaguar with an electrical system that works!

Jul 23, 2002 at 8:43 PM Post #4 of 7
[size=medium]LUCAS = PRINCE OF DARKNESS![/size]
biggrin.gif

Jul 23, 2002 at 9:35 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by aeberbach
Jaguar however are dead - it's a Ford with a Jaguar badge.

am i the only person who thinks this is a bad thing?

if i pay top-dollar for a car, i want it built in another country.. any of the following will do: germany, japan, italy, or sweden.

Jul 23, 2002 at 10:13 PM Post #6 of 7
Nezer,
I find it very hard to believe that the situation is as you state it. I ain't no expert, but don't they always say that all the money in music is in the "publishing"? That is, if you are the songwriter, you get paid every time your song is covered or played.

Either way, just the very thought of these left-wing pseudo-revolutionary, Sandinista-loving punks having their music sell Jaguars, a friggin' *luxury car* for upper-class materialistic twits (of course, if they were giving them away, I'd get mine
wink.gif
) that they are supposed to be diametrically opposed to--- well it left me speachless, jaw agape.

markl

Jul 26, 2002 at 8:40 PM Post #7 of 7
Nah....I still like the clash. At least Jaguar does it with a bit of consideration. It could be worse...remember those car minivan commercials with Iggy Pop's "Lust for Life" now those were ****ing annoying. In fact....I cant stand listening to "Lust for Life" anymore. The thing with the clash is...they seem to be trendy right now...like many other early 80s bands (on the LA scene anyway). I've liked them long before they were cool. It just pisses me off how these people can get so attached to something...then when it goes out of style they will drop it. I mean...I saw a "dress like siouxsie" night at some 80s club in LA. Will they still be playing siouxsie 2 years from now? Hell no! Will they still be playing siouxsie 5 years from now at deathrock clubs in LA? Yes!!! My point is that fads come and go...but these bands will always have their original following. I understand that Jaguar's commercial was aimed at the people who would go to the first club, not the second.
</rant>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back