The CHAIR: The final frontier. The ultimate audio "tweak"?
May 3, 2002 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
I have recently purchased a Barcalounger Rio from Macy's furniture. This is a fabulous chair (recliner, "big comfy chair", floating on a cloud paradise) for lounging, slouching, slacking and enjoying the music. I listen eyes closed, leaned way back, Sony R10s strapped on, with glass of wine at the ready! Life is GOOD.

This chair is BLACK leather to match my BLACK leather sofa/loveseat. When you are single and well-paid, you can buy BLACK LEATHER sofas and recliners and no one bats an eye-- you don't need no PERMISSION!

This chair is a great "tweak" and greatly enhances my spine and my mind!

So, audiofreaks-- what's your chair like?

markl

May 3, 2002 at 12:33 AM Post #2 of 56
I sit in either a hard, cheap, crappy chair if I am doing homework, or lying in my bed if I am relaxing, or walking about if I am cleaning.

BTW, your chair sounds like it rocks!

May 3, 2002 at 12:44 AM Post #3 of 56
I have some pos $150 leather one from Staples for the computer, but my pride n joy chair is in my bedroom. It's old fashioned, takes up lots of space.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll take photos of it sometime.

May 3, 2002 at 1:49 AM Post #5 of 56
Right with ya Mark... this is the chair I have in mind although I'm looking at others:

PCP2_spr.jpg

Something with a zero-G lateral design would be best for me. I envision a small side table with small CD rack, amp, source, and of course a glass of 1993 Chateau Fongrenier Bergerac (which is not expensive). Add a view and fantasy becomes reality.

May 3, 2002 at 2:12 AM Post #6 of 56
Quote:

When you are single and well-paid, you can buy BLACK LEATHER sofas and recliners and no one bats an eye-- you don't need no PERMISSION!

Blue leather chair, loveseat, or couch.....all very comfy. When you're married and BOTH of you are well-paid, no permission is necessary either. My wife didn't have to ask me.
wink.gif

May 3, 2002 at 2:15 AM Post #7 of 56
Here's a picture of my "Rio":

5609_RIO.jpg

Did I mention mine is BLACK?
biggrin.gif

markl

May 3, 2002 at 2:18 AM Post #8 of 56
Leather? Hah! Anyone knows that suede is the audiophile's material of choice...

j/k

I use a sensory deprivation tank, myself, but that's because we can't survive in your atmosphere. Still, state of the art and quite comfy.

May 3, 2002 at 2:35 AM Post #9 of 56
Hey Nick,
Before I bought the Rio I actually tried out that very chair at a store called "Relax the Back" here in the Bay Area of CA. That particular chair is indeed awesome, but they say it never goes on sale. I found that one of their lowest priced models (i *believe* it's the one you have pictured) was actually the most comfortable for me. The higher up in the line I went, the less value I perceived, though.

Anyway, I passed and went for a more traditional solution with the Rio, on which I got a great deal.

markl

May 3, 2002 at 3:05 AM Post #12 of 56
May 3, 2002 at 12:40 PM Post #14 of 56
At my desk, my Herman Miller Aeron is simply wonderful. I forget I'm sitting in a chair. Worth every penny.

May 7, 2002 at 12:37 AM Post #15 of 56
This is the chair I'm *trying* to get:

260429det.jpg

The chick at the furniture store said between $750 - $850. But of course she won't know for sure until Wednesday. She also claimed that she would give me a discount for waiting (she couldn't find the leather sample book, then when she did it was the wrong one)

Here's my question for those of you who have bought REAL furniture before (not the bring it home and assemble kind from Walmart):

Can you haggle on the price like with a car dealer, or is it their price only?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back