The CD turns 25
Aug 17, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #3 of 52
Like I said on another forum, I think CD will still be the primary music medium for the next 5-10 years. Which makes the format 30-35 years as the main carrier of music. That's very good anyway you look at it.

In the mean time, I am collecting all those early pressing CDs.

Aug 17, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #4 of 52
I bought my first player, a B&O top loader, back in 1986. My first disc was Dark Side of the Moon. I was seventeen at the time. Man do I feel old. I continue to listen to vinyl to this day though. I bet people will still be listening to cd for longer than the next 25 years though I think the format is nearing extinction.

Aug 18, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #5 of 52
i think it will be around a long time what else is there to replace it that can
be played over and over without wear and sound as good the day you bought
it with hifidelity with no danger of info loss.

Aug 18, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #7 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like I said on another forum, I think CD will still be the primary music medium for the next 5-10 years. Which makes the format 30-35 years as the main carrier of music. That's very good anyway you look at it.

The disc phonograph lasted for over 80 years with total backwards compatibility. Formats are operating in "dog years" today.

If you had asked me, or just about anyone else in 1975 if the phonograph record would be the main music media in the year 2000, we would have told you that it definitely would. I think we are seeing a total change in formats again.

See ya
Steve

Aug 18, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #8 of 52
Honestly, I hope to see something like ultra-hi-fi PCM files or FLAC or something. Like, on the quality level of a master. Or physical media.

It'd be interesting to see a site where you could buy said audio files, and then just download them when you want to listen (if you have a small hard drive). Internet-enabled DAPs with some flash storage and optical out...Eh...I'm getting ahead of myself.

Aug 19, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #9 of 52
When CD's first arrived people said that vinyl would soon be extinct. I think CD's still have a way to go. Of course, when I first saw CD's I thought they would never catch on. After all, who would be willing to pay 13.99 for a CD when an LP only cost 7.99?
tongue.gif

My first CD purchase was in April of 1987. The three I bought were:

The The - Infected
Prince - Around The World In A Day
Pink Floyd - The Wall

Anyone miss long boxes?

Aug 19, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #10 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In the mean time, I am collecting all those early pressing CDs.

They even sound better then today's trash.

Aug 19, 2007 at 7:31 AM Post #12 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone miss long boxes?

Despite being environmentally incorrect, I do miss those long boxes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline
They even sound better then today's trash.

Exactly. Which is why I am paying big bucks for those early CDs.

Aug 19, 2007 at 8:10 AM Post #13 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My first CD purchase was in April of 1987. The three I bought were:

The The - Infected
Prince - Around The World In A Day
Pink Floyd - The Wall

In September 1985 I purchased Philips CD104 player and two discs:

Joe Jackson - Body & Soul
Mozart - Piano Ctos 19 & 23 / Perahia.

I can see some kind of flash based sound carriers in the future.

Regards,

L.

Aug 19, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #14 of 52
yeah, it'll be around. for the mainstream, most sales will move towards mp3. but I would never buy purely digital music, I want to hold it in my hands. and I believe there are a lot like me, same reason vinyl still exists and people like me are still buying vinyl (and the CD is older than me, so go figure).

Aug 20, 2007 at 9:34 AM Post #15 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Braver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, it'll be around. for the mainstream, most sales will move towards mp3. but I would never buy purely digital music, I want to hold it in my hands. and I believe there are a lot like me, same reason vinyl still exists and people like me are still buying vinyl (and the CD is older than me, so go figure).

I prefer to hold my music in my hands too. Over the years I've had three computers die and take all the data with them. I would rather have my three or four hundred dollar transport turn to toast than my three or four thousand dollar music collection.

....of course I lost my vinyl collection back in '04 when four hurricanes hit in less than two months.

A 400 lb. blob of fused vinyl, paper and cardboard. Sad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back