The Car/Motorcycle/Motorsport/Anything fast enough to do something stupid in thread!
Mar 23, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #1,231 of 1,511
I'm pretty excited about it. It has about the same power as my SVX, with a bit more torque, similar weight, slightly faster performance (within .5-1 second in 0-60 and 1/4 mile), similar MPG, but it has a MANUAL transmission, unlike the stupid automatic in my SVX. So... although they look pretty different.... I guess the performance is pretty damn close. Should make an excellent winter car, so I can drive my 89 Prelude Si 4ws in the summer.

I like the forest green actually... the black and silver ones look "fancier". If I pulled the S-badges off this thing, do you think ANYBODY would even notice it? Doubtful. It'll be a complete freakin' sleeper. With a chip and exhaust it can put out about 300 horsepower, instead of 230. Heh.

Mar 23, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #1,233 of 1,511
Actually the chip is pretty cheap and whatnot is pretty cheap. About $500 or so for a gain of 50-70hp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #1,234 of 1,511
230HP... sounds like the 5-cylinder 20v. Take it. Those engines are beautiful and strong. A little pricey come time for repairs, but they are reliable so guess that won't be much of an issue. Just don't get bit by the more-power bug... then the Audi 5-cylinder machines will eat a wallet.
biggrin.gif

Mar 23, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #1,235 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually the chip is pretty cheap and whatnot is pretty cheap. About $500 or so for a gain of 50-70hp.
smily_headphones1.gif

They are usually boost increasers with timing and fuel change maps. The S4 already hits 1.1 bar of boost pressure which is quite high for a 9.2:1 compression engine. There's other stuff you can do to make it more nimble without upping the boost. A nice one I've read up on (have the details at home somewhere) will get rid of the boost creep and make for a much more nimble machine with extra boost. Just a couple of pressure relief valves around the wastegate.

If you need help with such a baby then check out sjmautotechnik.com run by Scott Mockry who has been in the Audi game for ages. You might want to actually check his site for the instructions to pull the error codes from the ECU. A good thing to check while having a look over the car. It'll tell you some little faults which might not be evident during the drive.

Mar 23, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #1,236 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y142/cash68/IMG_4620.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...8/IMG_4619.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...8/IMG_4621.jpg

Going to look at that in about 2 weeks. I hope it's still available. 230hp, 250ftlbs, Quattro AWD, nice interior, and deadnuts reliable for at least 200k.

Great choice! The Audi 5 cylinder, 20 valve is pretty much "bomb proof".
My father are into his second one, first a 1993 S4 and now a 1996(7) S6. Its plenty fast, comfortable and seem to last forever.

Mar 23, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #1,237 of 1,511
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but has anyone had experience with the Toyota MR2 Mk I? I'm planning on buying one in the near future to learn how to drive MT and also as a foray into fixing cars. How easy is it to drive for a beginner just learning stick? Is it easy to fix for a beginner as well? I plan to buy a regular one and later, when I get more experience, swap in a 4A-GE Silvertop (I think that's what it's called). Thanks for the feedback if any.

Mar 23, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #1,238 of 1,511
They're really simple and well built cars and with a 4AGE swap and some fettling with the suspension it will be a really good auto-x/track day car. In terms of ease of driving it they are good handling cars but they have a reputation for snap oversteer that,while not entirely untrue,has been blown out of proportion by many magazines,forums,etc. It demands the same sort of respect an earlier 911 does. Don't do anything idiotic when you're entering a corner like lift off suddenly or jab at the brakes.

Enter a corner with metered inputs,make sure all of your shifting is done before corner entry,keep a *little* bit of power on as you turn into the corner to keep the rear settled and then just power out smoothly towards the apex. I think as long as you keep your wits about you it'll make a great beginners car as it will teach you respect for weight distribution.

Mar 23, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #1,240 of 1,511
@928GTS: Thanks for the helpful tidbit. Although I probably won't be track racing anytime soon as I don't even have a clue on how to drive a MT as of yet, it is definitely one of my goals in the future to go to a track day and just have fun, hopefully with an experienced driver at my side. I don't mind too much about the snap oversteer and it's just going to be a learner car to get me on the road and going. I don't think I'll start modifying the car until I've taken some community college classes on auto repair or find someone who is willing to teach me.

I was looking towards more info about shifting just for total beginners, as I've heard some cars are pretty anal about when you shift, and I was wondering if the MR2 was a bit more forgiving for the beginner who will most definitely constantly shift at the wrong rpm ranges as well as constantly stall.

Mar 23, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #1,241 of 1,511
I've never heard of a car that was super anal about when you shift. You just need to know how to shift. Honestly, if I were you I'd get a beat up Accord 5spd or something to learn on, then do the brakes and other minor things and sell it on CL before you get anything remotely cool. >shrug<

Mar 23, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #1,242 of 1,511
Well each car has a different shift action and you need to learn your car's shift action so that you can find what method works best to shift it. Some cars have a more vague feeling shifter than others,adjustment of the linkage and *some* short shift kits can help this but its usually just down to the design of the car.

Mar 25, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #1,245 of 1,511
Great looking Hayabusa!
biggrin.gif

For some extreme 'busa riding, check out this crazy Swede (especially 4:00-5:14).. Wow!
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back