The Car/Motorcycle/Motorsport/Anything fast enough to do something stupid in thread!
Mar 6, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #1,037 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, ...

They improved the Lotus Exige S, but they look the same, so I won't post pictures of that.

By the way, is Aston Martin still owned by LVMH?

Well, the front end is different and the rear wing is larger on the new Exige S, so it's not exactly the same.

Aston Martin is owned by Investment Dar (a consortium of prominent Kuwaiti investors founded in 1994), who are thought to be considering selling.

Mar 6, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #1,038 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, if Aston Martin's next styling direction is anything like the Lagonda, they better just keep using their photocopier and make various DB9-shaped blobs.

yeah, lagonda is really something else. I wanted to gouge my eyes out when I saw it. Make high-quality performance cars for years -> follow it up by bandwagon jumping into money-making SUV business with possibly ugliest SUV in the market. Great idea. I wonder why anyone else hasn't thought of it.

*cough*Porsche Cayenne*cough*

Mar 6, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #1,040 of 1,511
Quote:

The problem is that the Cayenne sold like hot cakes to rich soccer mums.

indeed. I'd much rather get a wagon if I needed extra space. Better fuel economy, far better handling, acceleration etc.
And if you need real off-roading ability, grab a SUV that can actually do off-roading. Like a jeep wranger or Land Rover defender. I wouldn't mind owning either of those for those ventures into muddy adventures
biggrin.gif

Or, if you must burn cash and burn it fast, Merc G-wagon is the way to go.

Mar 6, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #1,042 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
indeed. I'd much rather get a wagon if I needed extra space. Better fuel economy, far better handling, acceleration etc.
And if you need real off-roading ability, grab a SUV that can actually do off-roading. Like a jeep wranger or Land Rover defender. I wouldn't mind owning either of those for those ventures into muddy adventures
biggrin.gif

Or, if you must burn cash and burn it fast, Merc G-wagon is the way to go.

I'd get an M5 wagon.

If I wanted to go offroading, I'd get a G-Wagon or Defender. The G wagon really tugs at my heartstrings for some reason, especially the V12 turbo Brabus version. I'd love to drive past a greenpeace meeting in that thing with my foot to the floor
tongue.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #1,043 of 1,511
I would like to vent that anyone over the age of 85 should not drive... just got rear ended while i was at a dead stop by some old man who was driving to quick for the weather (very rainy and wet) and rear ended me and totaled my daily. Awosem.

Mar 6, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #1,045 of 1,511
Ouch. One less MX5 in the world
frown.gif

I got tailgated by a guy in a Discovery yesterday whilst going down a steep slope which is notorious for having mobile speed cameras operating regularly. He started tailgating me since the highway, and I was in the slow lane only 2-3km/hr below the limit so he was more than welcome to overtake.

People just need to learn to keep their cool. My car's speedo is a digital display, so I know the "exact" speed that I'm doing unlike conventional dials in 5km/hr increments.

So what're you going to replace the daily with now?

Mar 6, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #1,047 of 1,511
Quote:

Ouch. One less MX5 in the world
frown.gif

I got tailgated by a guy in a Discovery yesterday whilst going down a steep slope which is notorious for having mobile speed cameras operating regularly. He started tailgating me since the highway, and I was in the slow lane only 2-3km/hr below the limit so he was more than welcome to overtake.

People just need to learn to keep their cool. My car's speedo is a digital display, so I know the "exact" speed that I'm doing unlike conventional dials in 5km/hr increments.

So what're you going to replace the daily with now?

Uh, FYI, the fact that your display is digital means NOTHING. GPS is the only way to verify the correct, true speed. If you put a set of new tires on your car, it'll read a little slower than it does with worn tires. The circumference of the same sized tire from manufacturer to manufacturer also varies. Also, there is a tolerance in speedometers, set by the governement. They usually make them run a little high (ie, you are going slower than it says by a little bit) due to the fact that if it went the other way, people would get pissed off if they received tickets. This is why almost ALL speedometers are about 2-3mph "fast" when you're doing 55mph.

Find someone who has a GPS unit and verify yours, it's the only way to know.

Mar 6, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #1,048 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanTheMiataMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would like to vent that anyone over the age of 85 should not drive... just got rear ended while i was at a dead stop by some old man who was driving to quick for the weather (very rainy and wet) and rear ended me and totaled my daily. Awosem.

Man that sucks. I am really sorry to hear that.

On a positive note, I am assuming from your post that everyone is uninjured. At least that's a good thing.

Mar 6, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #1,049 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uh, FYI, the fact that your display is digital means NOTHING. GPS is the only way to verify the correct, true speed. If you put a set of new tires on your car, it'll read a little slower than it does with worn tires. The circumference of the same sized tire from manufacturer to manufacturer also varies. Also, there is a tolerance in speedometers, set by the governement. They usually make them run a little high (ie, you are going slower than it says by a little bit) due to the fact that if it went the other way, people would get pissed off if they received tickets. This is why almost ALL speedometers are about 2-3mph "fast" when you're doing 55mph.

Find someone who has a GPS unit and verify yours, it's the only way to know.

Yep, its out by 2km/hr when measured against a radar.

Of course, I realize its not a perfectly accurate speedo, but it still gives a better indication than the 5km/hr increment dials. Having said that, even GPS units vary from unit to unit, so hmm.....

But anyway, Dan, 4th Miata in 4 years hey?

Mar 6, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #1,050 of 1,511
Quote:

Yep, its out by 2km/hr when measured against a radar.

Of course, I realize its not a perfectly accurate speedo, but it still gives a better indication than the 5km/hr increment dials. Having said that, even GPS units vary from unit to unit, so hmm.....

But anyway, Dan, 4th Miata in 4 years hey?

Word they are dirt cheap, easy to fix, good gas milage (29mpg on E10 going 75 at like 3700rpm) fun to drive and again dirt cheap and can be taken 100% apart and put back together with a 10-12-14-16mm Socket set.

And 1st miata is in a garage needing me to be unlazy and tune it

2nd miata i bought it the water pump failed 2 weeks later so i replace it on the side of I-5 North then sold it as it felt like a lemon

3rd this one that now will be totaled.

4th who knows!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back