The Cap Question
Nov 18, 2003 at 4:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 117

Voodoochile

Supafly & The Funky Pimps
In the spirit of the Bangraman and Pinkie anniversary threads, I felt the compulsion to offer something also.
Since I have been here more than a year, the anniversary idea is blown. Although I seldom venture outside of the DIY holding cell, I really enjoy this place, and enjoy almost everyone on here.

Wait a minute... The Merton is gone. So actually I do enjoy everyone on here!
(Merton, if you are reading this, I'm just teasing you. Your posts were also enjoyable to read. A real wildcard.)

The Prize:
Should you accept the challenge, is a kit of components for building a PIMETA amplifier. The board, buffers, AD8620 and AD8610 op-amps (already soldered on Browndog adapters), resistors, capacitors, panasonic pot, Switchcraft jacks, power switch, battery snaps- everything but the case, which being such a personal thing, I leave up to you.

The Cap Question:
How many capacitors do I have on hand at this moment, including both electrolytics and film caps?

I just took and inventory a couple hours ago, and sent the total to JMT. Jon, I'm sorry, but you can't play today. I'll make it up somehow. Jon is keeping the answer sealed in a the vault at his place of employment. Or was it in his profile somewhere? Nope, his wife has it hidden.

Only one clue, and it's a lame one at that:
It is more than 100 caps.

Whomever gets the closest to the total, whether higher or lower than actual, wins the kit, which includes shipping to any address in the US and Canada. Overseas addresses are eligible to enter, but you must furnish shipping costs. Sorry, but that gets very expensive, so I do request that.

Bonus: If you guess the exact number, I will offer you a choice:

A: I will include assembly of the amplifier

B: If you prefer to build it yourself, in lieu of building it I will upgrade the Panasonic pot with an Alps Blue Velvet, upgrade the caps to Cerafines, and include Vampire CMHex RCA jacks.

C: Pie.

In the event if a tie, the correct answer that is posted first will win. You may only post once, and may not edit your post. This contest is only open to people who were registered prior to the date and time of this contest's posting. If there is a tie for some other unknown reason, a tiebreaker will be offered.

The contest is over at 24:00 GMT on the last day of November/first day of December. The winning number will be posted shortly after, and the winner contacted via PM. If the winner is unavailable after one week, the second closest guess will become the winner.

This is not just for the DIY crowd, please feel free to venture a guess. I encorage anyone to do this. If DIY is not your bag, you probably know someone who IS into it, and the holidays are coming. Makes a nice gift.
biggrin.gif

***fine print***
This contest is offered in the spirit of fun and in the hopes of getting someone into another amp. You can never have too many amps, right?

This is not sponsored by Head-Fi in any way, other than providing the forum, and as such will not be held liable in any way if a fight breaks out, or if someone just gets irritated by the whole thing. If this sort of thing bothers you, don't enter a guess.

Best of luck to everyone who ventures a guess.
And thanks for reading my drivel.

Nov 18, 2003 at 4:47 AM Post #2 of 117

btw, nice contest.
biggrin.gif

Nov 18, 2003 at 4:50 AM Post #5 of 117
Correct! How'd you do that?

Kidding, Goose... you are in the running.
The answer will be revealed sometime on December 1st or 2nd.

And thanks for playing!

Nov 18, 2003 at 5:10 AM Post #9 of 117
I guess 747.

--Chris

Nov 18, 2003 at 5:13 AM Post #10 of 117

Nov 18, 2003 at 5:25 AM Post #14 of 117
I'll take a guess at.......

Quote:

Jon, I'm sorry, but you can't play today.

.....ah poop. Story of my life.

Nov 18, 2003 at 8:28 AM Post #15 of 117
Quote:

This is not just for the DIY crowd, please feel free to venture a guess. I encorage anyone to do this. If DIY is not your bag, you probably know someone who IS into it, and the holidays are coming. Makes a nice gift.

Good thing. I'll guess 457. Great contest Voodoochile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back