The Canon Thread
Oct 24, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #2,581 of 2,718
Eos M has below average AF but good IQ be prepared to miss a lot of shots with this camera.
Sony NEX controls are all menu based and time consuming to find. Good IQ and high ISO performance from the 16 mp sensors.
Sony alpha A58 is something no one mentions. A new 20mp sensor AF during video and EVF you can review images in direct sunlight. 8fps and an articulated LCD for creative perspectives. Under $500.
nikons 5k series is good even the old 5100 w/ the 16mp d7000 sensor. Cheap too.
The newer 52 and soon to be 5300 have very good resolutions but the 5200 has less ISO performance than the 5100.
The 5300 will have wifi and GPS built in. Good stuff. High ISO performance remains to be seen with this new model. It will be Nikons first new expeed 4 processor. So it's possible that the newer 5300 could have better high ISO performance due to better backside processing.
The Canon slrs are all good. The SL1 and T5i both can AF during video and touch screen pan focusing. Still a good sensor.

Oct 24, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #2,582 of 2,718
Eos M has below average AF but good IQ be prepared to miss a lot of shots with this camera.
Sony NEX controls are all menu based and time consuming to find. Good IQ and high ISO performance from the 16 mp sensors.
Sony alpha A58 is something no one mentions. A new 20mp sensor AF during video and EVF you can review images in direct sunlight. 8fps and an articulated LCD for creative perspectives. Under $500.
nikons 5k series is good even the old 5100 w/ the 16mp d7000 sensor. Cheap too.
The newer 52 and soon to be 5300 have very good resolutions but the 5200 has less ISO performance than the 5100.
The 5300 will have wifi and GPS built in. Good stuff. High ISO performance remains to be seen with this new model. It will be Nikons first new expeed 4 processor. So it's possible that the newer 5300 could have better high ISO performance due to better backside processing.
The Canon slrs are all good. The SL1 and T5i both can AF during video and touch screen pan focusing. Still a good sensor.

Would you recommend the samsung nx300 over the canon sl1?
I'm new to the mirrorless camera world.

Oct 24, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #2,583 of 2,718
K, let me give you my opinion.

The sensors are so good these days it doesn't matter. Worry about lenses. Find the manufacturer that makes lenses that are in your budget that fit your shooting. For me, that's Canon, so I shoot Canon. I would be just as happy shooting Nikon. Pro fotogs shoot both, you certainly won't know a difference.

Note: This is not about mirror vs mirrorless. This is about brand vs brand or waiting for the new body because it's going to have a better algo for noise at 16,000 ISO.

Oct 24, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #2,585 of 2,718
I would never recommend any Samsung camera. They have no idea what they're doing. Parts are impossible to find and they break down a lot.

Hmm, which generation Samsung camera's are you referring to?  I've played with the more recent NX series cameras, and a couple of friends own them as well, all without any problems.  Samsung also happens to have a very good selection of NX series lenses to choose from, most at very reasonable prices.  

Oct 24, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #2,586 of 2,718
Everyone I know that's had a Samsung regretted it within 6 months as the cameras broke down. Even after repair the cameras broke down again. No dropping or misuse. Batteries weren't available locally either.

Oct 27, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #2,587 of 2,718
Just sold my 50D + grip and a couple of nice lenses and picked up a 135mm f2 and am going to get an OM-D E-M5 and the new 12-40 f2.8 in December sometime. My 1D Mk III is too good to let go, so I will definitely continue purchasing EF lenses 
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #2,588 of 2,718
Cool! I just saw a 20x24 print comparison of a 5D MK III vs M4/3. I had difficulties telling which was which. Granted it was a daytime shot but it was hard to tell the diff. Nighttime high ISO is another story I'm sure.

Oct 30, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #2,589 of 2,718
Just sold my 24L II for the second time, to fund another purchase. I have a very odd relationship with the 24mm... when I need it, it is my most important lens. But that is like... less than 5% of the time. The 50L and 100L get the most use while the 24L stays in the bag or dry cabinet most of the time until needed.

I have a strange but familiar feeling I might pick up a 24mm again next year....

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #2,590 of 2,718
I agree about the attraction to 24mm.  It's just a bit too wide for me as a prime for general use, though.  But the overwhelming percentage of shots taken with my 24-105 are at 24mm.  Like over 60%.  After 35mm, 24mm is the most common focal length in my Lightroom catalog.  

Nov 6, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #2,592 of 2,718
Here'e the problem with the Df:

http://www.engadget.com/gallery/nikon-df-nikon-df-dslr-retro-nikkor-d4/1290980/#!slide=1291001

I actually have an F3 so this is a good comparison to me.  The Df is still a big, bulky DSLR despite its retro looks.

I also think it's overpriced by about $1K.  I don't mind the 16MP sensor but they're charging almost D800 money for the camera.  I also think the weird amalgamation of retro and modern controls makes for a bit of an unruly person child.  I mean, if you're shooting aperture priority the main dial (or whatever Nikon calls it) will be the primary control.  But if you're shooting shutter priority, that dial suddenly becomes the main point of control and you have to completely let go of the camera with your right hand to change that setting at eye level.

I think it's an interesting camera but Nikon tried to make it too much to too many different people and I think the end result is a bit half-assed.

Nov 6, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #2,593 of 2,718
The thickness is a given, due to the additional electronics behind the film plane. I wasn't bothered with the additional height, I think it balances better with bigger lenses such as the 50/1.2 and 85/1.4 D lenses.

But the more I read about it the more I am turned off at some of Nikon's design choices. The PSAM mode dial, for example -- Fuji did it right, A mode on shutter dial, A mode for aperture, no need for a separate PSAM dial at all. Otherwise you create confusion and redundancy, if your mode dial is P and your shutter dial is at 60, what is your shutter speed?

Without the mode dial, they could have put the exposure compensation dial on the right. It is more convenient to operate with the right hand with the eye at the viewfinder.

Lack of split prism or interchangeable focusing screens is another disappointment.

Now wondering if Canon will jump on the retro bandwagon and do it right... I'd love to see one based on the AE-1.

Nov 6, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #2,594 of 2,718

Now wondering if Canon will jump on the retro bandwagon and do it right... I'd love to see one based on the AE-1.

People have reported that right after Sony A7r announcement, Canon exec's called an immediate meeting 
wink.gif

I hope this means Canon seriously considers something similar, at least in the ballpark, to A7r, meaning mirrorless full-frame.  Most Canonites are expecting a high-Megapixel camera body announcement in 2014, in a large 1D type body for $$$$$, but I sure hope Canon sees the need for a compact mirrorless full-frame camera to compete with Sony and Fuji (rumored to launch FF mirrorless in 2014). 

If Canon plans to ignore above, they'd better release some long-due and rumored lenses if they hope to keep people from slowly leaving Canon, e.g. 135L Mk II with IS, 50L MkII, 14-24, 35L II..

Nov 7, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #2,595 of 2,718
The Nikon Df is an interesting camera. It offers D4 image quality at less than half the price of a D4. Smaller and lighter than a D4 should be a great imaging tool. No focusing screen means Nikon is hoping the population will just AF or accept an electronic focusing aid. The shutter dial is cool but hopefully it will only lock down on the 1/3 stop click. Knowing Nikon I suspect you will then be able to adj shutter via the main command dial in the norm Nikon position. I feel this is a camera that will appeal to someone who takes images on a more personal level. By accepting lenses as far back as the invention of the f mount is another big plus. The used market will rise again. Every camera that comes out will have good things and bad things for some or others. Only what you create with it is important. The camera is secondary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back