The Canon Thread
Oct 15, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #2,566 of 2,718
Any reason I should return the brand new D5100 kit I got new at target for $375 after tax?

My other camera is the sx230 hs with chdk.

t3i is $450, body only afaik.

does a novice like me go for the d5100 or settle for the PS?

I hate the kit lens, and the autofocus speed is poor compared to my PS.

I use both in manual and auto depending on scenario.

Image quality is obviously better, but my Nokia 808 I returned seemed to crop nicer.

Not sure to spend extra to look at the canon spectrum, invest in some $$$ glass, or return the damn thing lol

Yazen - Are you okay with the size of DSLR like the D5100 and T3i?  If you are than either of those are suitable for your needs.  But there is a lot of push towards the mirrorless camera now especially how it is lighter and the lenses are more compact.  Especially if you do a lot of hiking trips, every ounce counts.  

If you are willing to wait for a Canon refurbish sale you can usually score a T3i with kit lens for about $400 or less.  From what I've heard, most of the refurbished cameras have low shutter counts.  Plus Canon does offer 1 year warranty on their refurbish products now. 

The benefits of a mirrorless camera is not only in the size, but also in-body stabilization like the Olympus PEN PL5 or the OMD.  Which means you still get the image stabilization for using old manual focus lenses (Canon FD). 
The Fuji mirrorless cameras have some really nice colors in their images because there is no AA filter.  So the straight out of camera (SOOC) jpegs looks really nice compare to others.  In addition they do have a nice focus peaking system. 

It really depends what your needs are, but I definitely see the mirrorless camera catching up the the DSLRs in terms of capabilities and function. 

Oct 15, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #2,567 of 2,718
  Yazen - Are you okay with the size of DSLR like the D5100 and T3i?  If you are than either of those are suitable for your needs.  But there is a lot of push towards the mirrorless camera now especially how it is lighter and the lenses are more compact.  Especially if you do a lot of hiking trips, every ounce counts.  

If you are willing to wait for a Canon refurbish sale you can usually score a T3i with kit lens for about $400 or less.  From what I've heard, most of the refurbished cameras have low shutter counts.  Plus Canon does offer 1 year warranty on their refurbish products now. 

The benefits of a mirrorless camera is not only in the size, but also in-body stabilization like the Olympus PEN PL5 or the OMD.  Which means you still get the image stabilization for using old manual focus lenses (Canon FD). 
The Fuji mirrorless cameras have some really nice colors in their images because there is no AA filter.  So the straight out of camera (SOOC) jpegs looks really nice compare to others.  In addition they do have a nice focus peaking system. 

It really depends what your needs are, but I definitely see the mirrorless camera catching up the the DSLRs in terms of capabilities and function. 

I was really interested in the mirrorless line, but the D5100 was such a nice deal!
The SX230 HS has been great in manual mode, but the IQ in higher isos and dynamic range was lacking for me.

The Samsung NX20 looked like a good mirrorless option for $300, but was just as bulky as a DSLR.
EOS-M is a mixed bag in auto focusing, the Fuji line looks interesting 
biggrin.gif

Not sure if there are any comparable mirrorless options in the same price range I got the D5100 kit for, I might just get a bigger camera bag and be done with it lol.

I'm just afraid I won't use it enough to justify the money I paid for it.  I love what a DSLR does, but its not something I want to carry everywhere.  Makes me a little sore for my Nokia 808, I really wish they published a firmware to adjust shutter speed.

Oct 15, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #2,568 of 2,718

I was really interested in the mirrorless line, but the D5100 was such a nice deal!
The SX230 HS has been great in manual mode, but the IQ in higher isos and dynamic range was lacking for me.

The Samsung NX20 looked like a good mirrorless option for $300, but was just as bulky as a DSLR.
EOS-M is a mixed bag in auto focusing, the Fuji line looks interesting 
biggrin.gif

Not sure if there are any comparable mirrorless options in the same price range I got the D5100 kit for, I might just get a bigger camera bag and be done with it lol.

I'm just afraid I won't use it enough to justify the money I paid for it.  I love what a DSLR does, but its not something I want to carry everywhere.  Makes me a little sore for my Nokia 808, I really wish they published a firmware to adjust shutter speed.

Well if you do get a bigger bag just make sure to get a real backpack if you plan on full day hiking.  I made the mistake of using one of those shoulder sling bags and it is a killer on your shoulder when hiking around for a full day with a 60d + 3 lenses and a flash + tripod. 

Since you already have the D5100, you can always play with it first and if you don't like it just resale it on FM or ebay.  

EOS-M is a very capable camera and I have one as well.  The autofocus on it is not as good as a DSLR or other mirrorless, but for what I shoot most of the time (landscape and family portraits) it works since none of the subjects are moving too fast. 

If you are ok with refurb you can always keep an eye on Cameta for some nice mirrorless kits. There is currently a Oly PM2 with kit lens for about $190. 

Oct 16, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #2,569 of 2,718
Do you have a recommendation for a hiking/travel backpack with room for one body/lens and 1-2 extra lens?  I've been looking into a bag for my trip to Peru where I can still fit some other things in there while providing protection for the camera, and at this point, I'm leaning toward just using a normal hiking bag with a holster insert that fits inside like I've used in the past.  

Oct 16, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #2,570 of 2,718
  Do you have a recommendation for a hiking/travel backpack with room for one body/lens and 1-2 extra lens?  I've been looking into a bag for my trip to Peru where I can still fit some other things in there while providing protection for the camera, and at this point, I'm leaning toward just using a normal hiking bag with a holster insert that fits inside like I've used in the past.  

Clik Elite has some good camera backpack options.  You definitely do not want to use a "Canon" or "Nikon" backpack that just screams steal me, especially when you are traveling to unfamiliar places.  
Ape Case and Kata has some nice backpacks as well. 

When looking for a hiking camera backpack I like the option of a waist belt so that the weight is not all on my shoulders.  

A normal hiking backpack will definitely be better in terms of fit and comfort for your back than a camera backpack, especially if you already have it sized properly at a REI or something.  

If it is only one body w/ lens + 1-2 lenses I would go with a hiking backpack with the camera inserts that you can get on amazon (BBP, Timbuk2, or ApeCase).  

Most of the shots I take when hiking is more landscape - so I don't need quick access to any of my lenses.  

If you're concern about hiking and holding your camera you can always free up your hands by getting a Capture Clip from Peak Design that will hook up to your belt or your backpack.  That way you still have quick access to your camera while being able to free up your hands. 

Oct 16, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #2,571 of 2,718
For those Canon L glass lovers who secretly wished they could use them on the 36 MP Nikon D800E sensor, there is now reason for celebration.  The new Sony A7 and A7r mirrorless full frame camera allows L glass use (among others) with autofocus intact via Metabones adapter (about 11:30 into the video below).  I never thought I would say this, but I see a Sony camera in my near future  
size]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bnvgceTEV3c

Oct 16, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #2,572 of 2,718
Yes that does make the transition to mirrorless a little less painful.  

At this point I seriously don't see what is the point of DSLRs especially when a Canon 5d Mk III is only 22 MP.  Seriously Canon needs to pick up the pace a little here or else they are going to be left behind. 

Oct 17, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #2,573 of 2,718
  Yes that does make the transition to mirrorless a little less painful.  

At this point I seriously don't see what is the point of DSLRs especially when a Canon 5d Mk III is only 22 MP.  Seriously Canon needs to pick up the pace a little here or else they are going to be left behind. 

L
O
L

Good joke
biggrin.gif
  My "128" megapixel webcamera takes the best photos ever

Digital SLR's essentially replace Film SLR's.  Most popular format is 35mm film, which makes 22MP a little overkill.  Not to mention the presence of more noise.  Great for crops

I was hoping anyone had tips on how to getting photos looking more like those taken by an SLR.  Something about film I find appealing, especially with B/W.

Oct 17, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #2,574 of 2,718
  For those Canon L glass lovers who secretly wished they could use them on the 36 MP Nikon D800E sensor, there is now reason for celebration.  The new Sony A7 and A7r mirrorless full frame camera allows L glass use (among others) with autofocus intact via Metabones adapter (about 11:30 into the video below).  I never thought I would say this, but I see a Sony camera in my near future  
size]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bnvgceTEV3c

and at a very reasonable price too. I am considering replacing both my Fuji X cameras with an A7R; don't really care about the native FE mount lenses but with the right adapter I will be able to use both EF mount and M mount lenses on it.

Oct 19, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #2,575 of 2,718
  and at a very reasonable price too. I am considering replacing both my Fuji X cameras with an A7R; don't really care about the native FE mount lenses but with the right adapter I will be able to use both EF mount and M mount lenses on it.

I'm torn between A7 and A7r because my practical side tells me A7 is really the camera for my intended uses, i.e. portable full frame camera I can carry around easily and snap photos of informal events, family, friends, in low-light situations (basically all restaurants).  But then, A7 is not different enough from my 22.4 MP 5D III to get too excited about.  A7r's 36 MP sensor without low-pass filter, now there's something real fun to play with.  But in order to fully take advantage of that sensor, we're talking tripods, meticulous pre-shot routines and set-up, something not possible in most portable, event-style shooting.    

Oct 23, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #2,576 of 2,718
Hello Camera-Fiers!
I'm interested in advice regarding my first DSLR purchase.
I was recommended the Canon T3i which looks great but I saw the Canon SL1 going for just a bit over the same price even though the msrp price is quite a bit more than the t3i.
As for my uses:
Looking for something I could bring with me regularly on little excursions around the city and to small events to take informal pictures.
Also to take pictures of all my head-fi equipment too.

For the portability factor the SL1 appealed to me but seeing the price, it made me think there's something wrong with it?

Oct 23, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #2,577 of 2,718
For the portability factor the SL1 appealed to me but seeing the price, it made me think there's something wrong with it?

Well, if portability is important, then SL1 is still larger than mirrorless cameras such as Canon EOS-M ( Mk II probably coming within months), Samsung NX, Sony NEX, Fuji, etc, etc.  

The Fuji's probably have the best image quality but also most expensive.  Read about the Fuji XE2 here:
http://fstoplounge.com/2013/10/fujifilm-x-e2-everything-you-need-to-know/

Sony NEX offers great quality at very reasonable prices also; read about NEX6 here:
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Sony_Alpha_NEX_6/

If those are too pricey, Samsung has been steadily improving their gear and take great photo's.  Samsung NX2000 costs less than half of above with same sized aps-c sensor.
http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/samsung_nx2000_review/

If you get the feeling I'm trying to convince you to buy something other than Canon, well you'd be correct.  Canon SL1, EOS-M, T5i, etc all use basically the same old 18 MP sensor that's been around since T2i, and basically all of the above offer better IQ (well, perhaps Samsung only matches it).  To get a newer-tech sensor from Canon, you would have to go with Canon 70D, but that sensor is only slightly better per prelim reports.  

If you just want to dip your toes into dslr size sensor, I would still recommend EOS-M, which can be bought right now on frequent sales at $300-400 range with one or two lenses included, with same IQ as T3i you are considering.  

If you don't want mirrorless and want a mirror box for some reason, then I would strongly recommend you wait a couple of weeks when Nikon's new D5300 ships. It's going to be a great dslr and class-leader.  It pains me to say that since I shoot Canon, but it's true. 
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikon-d5300

Oct 23, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #2,579 of 2,718
Oct 24, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #2,580 of 2,718

Well, if portability is important, then SL1 is still larger than mirrorless cameras such as Canon EOS-M ( Mk II probably coming within months), Samsung NX, Sony NEX, Fuji, etc, etc.  

The Fuji's probably have the best image quality but also most expensive.  Read about the Fuji XE2 here:
http://fstoplounge.com/2013/10/fujifilm-x-e2-everything-you-need-to-know/

Sony NEX offers great quality at very reasonable prices also; read about NEX6 here:
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Sony_Alpha_NEX_6/

If those are too pricey, Samsung has been steadily improving their gear and take great photo's.  Samsung NX2000 costs less than half of above with same sized aps-c sensor.
http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/samsung_nx2000_review/

If you get the feeling I'm trying to convince you to buy something other than Canon, well you'd be correct.  Canon SL1, EOS-M, T5i, etc all use basically the same old 18 MP sensor that's been around since T2i, and basically all of the above offer better IQ (well, perhaps Samsung only matches it).  To get a newer-tech sensor from Canon, you would have to go with Canon 70D, but that sensor is only slightly better per prelim reports.  

If you just want to dip your toes into dslr size sensor, I would still recommend EOS-M, which can be bought right now on frequent sales at $300-400 range with one or two lenses included, with same IQ as T3i you are considering.  

If you don't want mirrorless and want a mirror box for some reason, then I would strongly recommend you wait a couple of weeks when Nikon's new D5300 ships. It's going to be a great dslr and class-leader.  It pains me to say that since I shoot Canon, but it's true. 
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikon-d5300

D5100 + 18-55mm kit lens at $375 New
VS D5300 at launch price (~$1200?) 

Any reason to get the D5300 considering the gap?  Will I be missing out staying with the D5100?  Afraid the difference in night ISO performance/IQ is too big of a gap to keep the D5100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back