The Canon Thread
Mar 2, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #1,831 of 2,718
s90 looks so awesome. If I didn't already bring my camera everywhere I think I would get one.

I think I am going to sell off all my glass and finally get some decent stuff. I am thinking about getting 17-40, 30 f1.4, 50 f1.4, and a 300 f2.8. I am planning a long trip to nigeria at the end of the year, and want to bring some strobes along too. I have just a tiny bit of experience with off camera lighting. I want to get two get two strobes (sb600+sb900 or 430ex+580ex) and trigger them wirelessly with the 7d.

I am probably getting all the glass, strobes, and accessories in may and buying the 300 in august.

Does anyone have experience with this gear? Where could I go to learn more about off camera lighting? Storbist and zack arias are my only sources.

Mar 3, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #1,832 of 2,718
Honestly, going to someplace like Nigeria, I wouldn't worry about all those lenses and strobes, they aren't going to make your pictures better, they'll just weigh you down and distract you cause you'll be futzing with gear and lights instead of enjoying your travels and making good pictures. I'd suggest instead investing in a light but strong small tripod like a small gitzo. and then just take 2 primes, a wide and a neutral perspective.

Just my advice, from a lot of experience shooting and traveling
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #1,833 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly, going to someplace like Nigeria, I wouldn't worry about all those lenses and strobes, they aren't going to make your pictures better, they'll just weigh you down and distract you cause you'll be futzing with gear and lights instead of enjoying your travels and making good pictures. I'd suggest instead investing in a light but strong small tripod like a small gitzo. and then just take 2 primes, a wide and a neutral perspective.

Just my advice, from a lot of experience shooting and traveling
biggrin.gif

When I read your post wanderman, this was my thoughts as well [what rhythmdevils wrote], but I didn't want to say it because it seemed like you had your mind made up.

Either way,
Careful in Nigeria. Might want to bring protection, stuff your sock soles with money, and keep a low profile. My hunch is a lot of the Nigerians will not be too thrilled to see some well dressed person carrying around all this fancy camera equipment. I wouldn't flaunt the gear, but keep it very inconspicuous. Keeping a low profile is best advice I can give (however you achieve it).

Mar 4, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #1,835 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
s90 looks so awesome. If I didn't already bring my camera everywhere I think I would get one.

I think I am going to sell off all my glass and finally get some decent stuff. I am thinking about getting 17-40, 30 f1.4, 50 f1.4, and a 300 f2.8. I am planning a long trip to nigeria at the end of the year, and want to bring some strobes along too. I have just a tiny bit of experience with off camera lighting. I want to get two get two strobes (sb600+sb900 or 430ex+580ex) and trigger them wirelessly with the 7d.

I am probably getting all the glass, strobes, and accessories in may and buying the 300 in august.

Does anyone have experience with this gear? Where could I go to learn more about off camera lighting? Storbist and zack arias are my only sources.

I just found this site the other day. Deals exclusively with Canon Speedlights.

Speedliting -Speedlighting - 580EX - 430EX - Speedliters Intensive - Learn Flash Photography - Canon Speedlites - Off Camera Flash - Syl Arena

Mar 4, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #1,836 of 2,718
don't know what glass you have currently, and everyone's shooting style is different, but personally, I'd agree with those advising a minimalist approach. First for theft, second for speed. I love primes, but I found that my 24-70 2.8L pretty much handles 90% of my needs when running around. Using a crop sensor like the 7D, you'd probably want the new crop lens canon just released. (problem with those is lack of weather sealing - another issue in travelling to Africa- I know people like the crop frame cameras, but the weather sealing on the 5D and the L lenses is why professional journalists keep to them - that and better low light ability)

Yes, a zoom is heavier, esp the 24-70, but you dont have to have an extra bag and be constantly screwing around w changing lenses. Just keep a 50/1.8 for no light and you're good.

And frankly, Id be wary of the 300/2.8 - I kind of think of it as neither fish nor fowl. It's basically a long portrait lens, not a gaming lens. You're going to want at least a 1.4x extender (and probably a 2x) to do good wildlife shooting, and your focus on the 7d is going to be very poor - esp w/out a good tripod. Something like the 200/2.8 is less than half the size, and with a 1.4 extender would get you close with less weight and visibility. Also, I'd probably want an armed bodyguard if I was travelling anywhere interesting with one of canon's big white telephotos.

Quote:

Mar 4, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #1,837 of 2,718
Oh. I am nigerian, so I already understand the related safety concerns. The 300 f2.8 is not for big game but for ACC football. The 17-40 would be the only "new" purchase, and everything else we be an upgrade. 70-200 2.8 to 300 2.8, 28 to 30, and 50 1.8 to 50 1.4. I don't think I will buy the canon 50 1.4 anymore. I finally got to look at my pictures from the boston college game...

I am probably going to sell off everything and just get the 30mm 1.4 and strobes at the beginning of the summer and the 300 when college football season starts.

edit: I going to spending most of time shooting family, friends, and nightlife in lagos.

Mar 5, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #1,838 of 2,718
Quote:

Oh. I am nigerian, so I already understand the related safety concerns. The 300 f2.8 is not for big game but for ACC football. The 17-40 would be the only "new" purchase, and everything else we be an upgrade. 70-200 2.8 to 300 2.8, 28 to 30, and 50 1.8 to 50 1.4. I don't think I will buy the canon 50 1.4 anymore. I finally got to look at my pictures from the boston college game...

I am probably going to sell off everything and just get the 30mm 1.4 and strobes at the beginning of the summer and the 300 when college football season starts.

edit: I going to spending most of time shooting family, friends, and nightlife in lagos.

Sounds to me like you have things figured out. That's a lens wishlist to die for. LUCKY!

Mar 5, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #1,839 of 2,718
Quote:

Oh. I am nigerian, so I already understand the related safety concerns. The 300 f2.8 is not for big game but for ACC football. The 17-40 would be the only "new" purchase, and everything else we be an upgrade. edit: I going to spending most of time shooting family, friends, and nightlife in lagos.

When I read ACC football my first thought was WORLD CUP!!
eek.gif
I would die to do that. But if you have a crop camera, you might want to try this out:

EOS (SLR) Camera Systems - Standard Zoom - Standard Zoom Lens - EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM - Canon USA Consumer Products

just came out, and looks quite nice. A little slow, of course, but could be interesting.

I shoot portraits myself, and my all time favorite lens - of any canon lens I've ever owned (about 20) is the 135/2 L . But on a crop camera like the 7D, the 85/1.8 is darn close at like half the cost. If you don't have that prime, I'd seriously consider it. I loved it on my old 20D.

Apr 12, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #1,840 of 2,718
Picked up a S90 on Saturday. Waiting on the custom grip that should be coming in by the end of the week!

Apr 18, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #1,841 of 2,718
Well I'm finally selling my T1i and looking to upgrade. It's coming down to the 7D vs. 1D mark III for action photography. Leaning toward the 1D mark III....even though I'm not a pro, holding it definitely makes you feel like one
normal_smile .gif

Apr 18, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #1,842 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently traded one of my paintings for my mothers 20D. Anyone got a clue how it holds up to todays camera's?
All I know is that it us much more fun to make pictures than with my older Samsung compact camera
biggrin.gif

Here's one of the last images from my 20D before I retired it for my new camera. (Linked, as it is more than 800px size)
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/7236/img0003rw.jpg

Apr 21, 2010 at 5:32 AM Post #1,843 of 2,718
So, I have enough money for a 430ex II for my T1i now. Best price I've seen online is 250 on amazon. Would anybody happen to know any lower prices online, or is what i'm looking at as attractive as it will get?

I was contemplating giving a call to a friend who works at best buy to see if i could get an employee discount or whatever :p, but idk.

Apr 21, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #1,844 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, I have enough money for a 430ex II for my T1i now. Best price I've seen online is 250 on amazon. Would anybody happen to know any lower prices online, or is what i'm looking at as attractive as it will get?

I was contemplating giving a call to a friend who works at best buy to see if i could get an employee discount or whatever :p, but idk.

I've not seen a lower price for the 430EX II. Try Googling "buy Canon 430EX II flash" and see what you get. Depending on your location, you may find a slightly lower price, but shipping and sales tax will make a difference. $250 is still a really good price, though. I paid more than that for mine, but I got free shipping when I got my 7D.

Apr 28, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #1,845 of 2,718
New toys came in!!

IMG_0022.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back