The Canon Thread
Sep 1, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #1,696 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it is the only camera I have, but boy do I have some d700 lust now.

If you can handle the lenses AF slower then possibly.

7D sounds ok. I havn't no need for it though. A 3D would be more interesting. I'm not going back to crop camera.

Sep 1, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #1,697 of 2,718
what would be in a 3d? I just can't see canon releasing a camera that bests the 5dmk2 in every aspect and not call it a 1d

Sep 1, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #1,698 of 2,718
7D announced, Canon unveils EOS 7D high-end digital SLR: Digital Photography Review

Well just like Nikon has D700 vs. D3, I wish Canon had a small body camera with nearly the same pro features. The 1 series can remain the 1 series.

D300s has dual memory slots so that even further erodes differences D300 had vs D3.

It would be nice to have better AF but I've just relegated the 5DII as model/location/studio cam so don't really use it in auto anything (except focus).

Sep 1, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #1,699 of 2,718
Quote:

what would be in a 3d? I just can't see canon releasing a camera that bests the 5dmk2 in every aspect and not call it a 1d

Well in the current scheme of things no. But they did just release the 7D which is a new moniker so here's to hoping although I wouldn't be interested in getting another camera. I want to see how the dust settles from a video standpoint since I use that a bit more now.

1Ds, high res, advanced full frame
1D, high speed
5D, basic full frame
7D, high speed, high res crop
xxD, prosumer
XXXD, consumer
XXXXD, entry level

Sep 1, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #1,700 of 2,718
Hm... I hadn't read anything about the 7D, so when I saw it mentioned in this thread I guessed it was going to be either a revised 5D mk2 or a more advanced 5D mk2.
I see it is a crop sensor, which makes me wonder why they didn't just call it something like the canon 60D.....

Sep 1, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #1,702 of 2,718
Sep 2, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #1,703 of 2,718
I really love to see new EF lenses too, but too bad it is only the 100L Macro.
frown.gif

Sep 2, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #1,705 of 2,718
The specs do look great, but I really don't know why they had to shove in so many pixels. The beta cam's images aren't that convincing at high ISOs. Canon seems to think that the output is quite clean though seeing as they offer a rather impressive max sensitivity. I'm silently jealous that you'll be getting one :p

Sep 2, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #1,706 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ISO 800 on the beta cam doesn't look too hot in this particular image here. I'll be eager to see other images from the final camera.

Rob Galbraith DPI: Canon announces 17.92 million image pixel, 8fps EOS 7D

I ran across a posting on the Fred Miranda forum that said Rob Galbraith's tests of the 5DII showed far more noise than users are actually seeing, so I'm taking his 7D results with a grain of salt.

Image Resource has controlled comparison images that look much better. I'm optimistic that the IQ of this camera will be worth it, despite all the griping on the DPReview forums.

Sep 2, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #1,708 of 2,718
Quote:

I just wish this thing was full frame/aps-h. ughh

x a billion.

I would buy one today if it were full frame at that price.

I REALLY like the electronic level.

Sep 3, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #1,709 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x a billion.

I would buy one today if it were full frame at that price.

I REALLY like the electronic level.

Maybe another generation or two (a couple of years) at the most, then will we see full frame at D300s/7D prices. I sure hope they'll keep churning out professional level APS-C cameras though because it's a godsend for those without a wallet that an handle super telephotos.

I expect electronic level to be introduced into lower end cameras very soon. All it is is an accelerometer, and many phones have it already so it can't be that tricky to implement.

Sep 13, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #1,710 of 2,718
Would I be interested in a more pro AF version of a 5D? Sure but not at higher price than the current 5D. The 7D if it did have full frame sensor would be more expensive. That would put it in a strange spot below 1D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back