The Canon Thread
Jul 22, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #961 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by LUMIERE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Canon has a small selection of the best "L" series lens in the prime focal lengths. Even with that the best is the 135mm f/2.
It is simply the sharpest and one of the fastest focusing lenses they make. Yes, the focal length can be a bit too long in a lot of situations... but, if you can alter your shooting style a bit to work with the lens you will be able to produce shots that not many other lenses can.

Here is a shot at f/2.

Oh yes, the L primes are awesome, and not nearly as expensive as the L zooms. I have one already, and will get more when my budget allows.

I just need wider lenses.
tongue.gif

Jul 22, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #962 of 2,718
I would take this event as an opportunity to learn and experiment. I would bring / use a flash just in case. I'd try and rent the 24 1.4 or 35 1.4.

Jul 22, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #963 of 2,718
I finally got the courage to order the 70-200 f2.8 IS. It should be here tomorrow. =]

Jul 22, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #964 of 2,718
Jul 22, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #965 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would take this event as an opportunity to learn and experiment. I would bring / use a flash just in case. I'd try and rent the 24 1.4 or 35 1.4.

I think I'll be picking up a 430EX for about $200USD, used, in the next two days, since I'll need a flash anyways. The 35 f1.4 was all rented out, darn it.
mad.gif
I'll look around for another one to rent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by raptor84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heres a 85/1.2 at 1.2 on a 5D Alvin and Adeline on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

and at f/1.4
Dennis and Jane on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Enough poison yet?

Not enough.
biggrin.gif
What doesn't kill me makes me stronger?

Jul 22, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #966 of 2,718
I keep telling myself the 85 1.8 is better. =[

Jul 22, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #967 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

*sigh* I know. Even the fact that the 50 1.8 is the best value for money lens out there doesn't make me happy any more. The illusion in wearing thin.
mad.gif

Jul 22, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #968 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*sigh* I know. Even the fact that the 50 1.8 is the best value for money lens out there doesn't make me happy any more. The illusion in wearing thin.
mad.gif

Thats when you convince yourself that, instead of worrying about the price of the equipment, you'll get it anyways and just have to make money using it.
Gotta be careful, this hobby will eat you alive.

Jul 22, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #969 of 2,718
Quote:

I finally got the courage to order the 70-200 f2.8 IS. It should be here tomorrow. =]

Wow congrats. Reminds me, I should start working out some more
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I'll be picking up a 430EX for about $200USD, used, in the next two days, since I'll need a flash anyways.

Maybe it doesn't matter to you but I don't like the older 430 and 580 flashes because of the plastic mounts. I prefer the II versions for metal mount, faster recycling and I like the 580IIs better weather sealing.

Jul 22, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #970 of 2,718
What about the older (now discotinued) 80-200mm f/2.8 "L" EF lens?

From what I am reading, although it does not have the more modern USM (and it was not even available with IS), the quality of the pictures is amazing with this "older" lens, and it can be found used on Ebay in the $500-600, which is not bad for a high quality "L" lens. Do you guys agree that a good sample of this lens would be nice to have?

The reviews also noted that the 80-200mm did not have full time manual focus - what does this mean?

Jul 23, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #971 of 2,718
Quote:

For the money it is. Just a solid all around lens but the L is magical.

Jul 23, 2008 at 10:43 AM Post #972 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by wquiles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the older (now discotinued) 80-200mm f/2.8 "L" EF lens?

From what I am reading, although it does not have the more modern USM (and it was not even available with IS), the quality of the pictures is amazing with this "older" lens, and it can be found used on Ebay in the $500-600, which is not bad for a high quality "L" lens. Do you guys agree that a good sample of this lens would be nice to have?

The reviews also noted that the 80-200mm did not have full time manual focus - what does this mean?

Most of us are shooting with DSLR bodies and would opt for EF-S glass. But if you are shooting film which is still very much awesome, I couldn't talk anyone out of it.

Jul 23, 2008 at 11:04 AM Post #973 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by essasin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most of us are shooting with DSLR bodies and would opt for EF-S glass.

"Most of us"?
I'm going to contest that, and say the exact opposite.

The EF lenses are the better choice for most.

Jul 23, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #974 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by essasin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most of us are shooting with DSLR bodies and would opt for EF-S glass. But if you are shooting film which is still very much awesome, I couldn't talk anyone out of it.

From what I am reading, you can only use EF-S lenses on the crop cameras (Rebel, 20D, 40D for example) but not on the full frame cameras (5D, 1D, for example). But you can use the EF lenses on either camera, so at least for me, I am only buying EF lenses as I know I will be moving to a full sensor body in the near future and I will not have to buy new lenses (plus I will re-gain the true wide angle I am now missing on my Rebel XT).

Jul 23, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #975 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow congrats. Reminds me, I should start working out some more
tongue.gif

Maybe it doesn't matter to you but I don't like the older 430 and 580 flashes because of the plastic mounts. I prefer the II versions for metal mount, faster recycling and I like the 580IIs better weather sealing.

Thanks bro! I just got it today and took a few shots for fun at work and it seems the focus is spot on. I'll do some more testing when I get home and over the weekend to make a full conclusion though. But so far, I'm in <3. And I definitely need to work out a bit, mainly my wrist and forarms, lol. It is one heavy lense.

And I agree, I prefer the 580EX II. But I'm not complaining since I paid $250 for my 580EX about a year and a half ago. =T

We should go shoot one of these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back