The Canon Thread
Jun 20, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #751 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
funny you should ask about the 70-200!

I just went to test it yest and its a FANTASTIC piece of kit. The auto focusing is EXTREMEEEELY quick and the image quality is sharpish!

yeah, it's a beautiful piece of machinery hahaha... i'm drooling over the 2.8 IS

wish i had money to upgrade my kit
frown.gif

Jun 20, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #752 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by vibin247 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In fact, a couple days after I placed my order with B&H, they suddenly had some items (the 24mm f/1.4L and off shoe cord for the 580EX II flash, to be exact) in stock that I had to delete out of my wishlist! Well, I guess you can't have it all at all times. Their service is terrific, nonetheless.

Sure, 32GB is a lot, but it's easy to fill it all up. Last wedding I did with a 5D, I shot 12GB and still wanted more memory (first couple hundred were in RAW and remaining were in Large JPEG). I'm working on becoming a photojournalist, mostly focusing on long projects, and since I don't have a laptop at the moment, having more than enough memory is about peace of mind. I never want to be in that situation where I'm constantly out memory. Plus, I'm planning on getting a 1D Mark III in the future, and will be shooting more and more, possibly even sports.

Also, why did you go with haze filters instead of plain old UV filters. Aren't the former intentionally designed to give images a softer, dreamier look? (as opposed to being solely for protection).

Jun 20, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #753 of 2,718
UV Haze filters were popular back when everyone shot film since it cut through the haze found in shots like landscapes etc. Digital doesn't really need this though so it's basically just a protection filter

Jun 20, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #754 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sh0eBoX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ DO IT!!! better noise control, faster, more accurate focusing, bigger and brighter viewfinder, 6.5fps, spot metering, live view, ugh..

The viewfinder and 6.5fps is where it's the most significant. Otherwise noise is about the same. The focusing for all intents using the center point is the same. 450D has spot metering and live view also.

I think the 40D is a better choice though if it's your only camera.

Quote:

I'm working on becoming a photojournalist, mostly focusing on long projects, and since I don't have a laptop at the moment, having more than enough memory is about peace of mind. I never want to be in that situation where I'm constantly out memory. Plus, I'm planning on getting a 1D Mark III in the future, and will be shooting more and more, possibly even sports.

Yeah it would suck to worry about running out of memory. It totally makes sense to have a lot of batteries and memory if you're in the field for extended periods.

IMO though, if you were doing what you're doing, you should be using Nikon. It's a better dynamic situation camera.

Jun 20, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #755 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO though, if you were doing what you're doing, you should be using Nikon. It's a better dynamic situation camera.

True, Nikon is a sturdier camera, and the D300 was my next choice if the 40D wasn't such a steal with the current instant rebates. I started photography with an FM2 with a 50mm f/1.4 and I currently have an N6000 with a 35-70mm f/3.3-4.5 for when I want to shoot film. I've also used a D70s, which was joy until I started using the 5D at work. After that wedding in May, I was sold on Canon equipment. Maybe someday I'll give Nikon another shot (or even Leica).

As for the filters, I always wanted to try Heliopan filters, but unfortunately their protection filters are more expensive than the UV Haze filters, so I went with the latter route. I'm not big on the multi-coated variety, just as long as it keeps fingerprints, dust, hair and other things away from the front element, and is not too pricey.

Oh, UPS decided to ship all my packages on Friday, instead of delivering one today and the rest later. The price of fuel, and all...

Jun 20, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #756 of 2,718
Ordered a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 yesterday from BH. I am hoping it has no issues as it is supposed to be an awesome lens. I had the Tammy 28-75mm brother before and loved it on my Canon XT. I could care less about AF speed and build when the image quality is so damned good for the price.

BTW, the 70-200mm f4L IS I shot with was pretty sweet. Sharp corner to corner wide open which you cannot say about the f2.8 versions for the most part. I may still go with the f2.8 non IS as I may want that extra stop but the IS on the f4 version is pretty incredible.

Jun 20, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #757 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ordered a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 yesterday from BH. I am hoping it has no issues as it is supposed to be an awesome lens. I had the Tammy 28-75mm brother before and loved it on my Canon XT. I could care less about AF speed and build when the image quality is so damned good for the price.

BTW, the 70-200mm f4L IS I shot with was pretty sweet. Sharp corner to corner wide open which you cannot say about the f2.8 versions for the most part. I may still go with the f2.8 non IS as I may want that extra stop but the IS on the f4 version is pretty incredible.

You'll enjoy the tamron, nicely built lens. I just love how big the glass is. I find it's the perfect walkaround range for me.

Plus it comes with a nice lens hood which I'm never without.

I got the 70-200 f/4L without IS, and I find myself taking more blurry pictures than I'd like. Though if I have great lighting, I can get away with some incredibly sharp pictures. Perhaps I'll audition the IS version in the future.

Jun 20, 2008 at 6:04 AM Post #758 of 2,718
Quote:

The IS is incredible. Considering i would want to use that lens primarily for street shooting ( candid stuff ), the F4 is more than enough.

The Tamron 17-50 f2.8 is incredibly sharp and fast to focus, it is and extremely good lens for the money, hope you enjoy it!

Jun 20, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #759 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'll enjoy the tamron, nicely built lens. I just love how big the glass is. I find it's the perfect walkaround range for me.

Plus it comes with a nice lens hood which I'm never without.

I got the 70-200 f/4L without IS, and I find myself taking more blurry pictures than I'd like. Though if I have great lighting, I can get away with some incredibly sharp pictures. Perhaps I'll audition the IS version in the future.

You might want to try LensRentals.com - Rent Canon, Nikon, or Sony Lenses and Cameras

Very impressive company. I may try out the 70-200mm f2.8 IS version soon as I want to see if the IS on that lens will be required by my shooting. I am hoping not as I can save some money and grab a flash unit and the 85mm f1.8 with scratch I saved.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The IS is incredible. Considering i would want to use that lens primarily for street shooting ( candid stuff ), the F4 is more than enough.

The Tamron 17-50 f2.8 is incredibly sharp and fast to focus, it is and extremely good lens for the money, hope you enjoy it!

I grinned when using that L. It was mighty impressive to get good shots at such slow shutter speeds. I did NOT want to send it back. My eyes teared up a bit.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 20, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #760 of 2,718
Quote:

True, Nikon is a sturdier camera, and the D300 was my next choice if the 40D wasn't such a steal with the current instant rebates.

As for the filters, I always wanted to try Heliopan filters, but unfortunately their protection filters are more expensive than the UV Haze filters, so I went with the latter route. I'm not big on the multi-coated variety, just as long as it keeps fingerprints, dust, hair and other things away from the front element, and is not too pricey.

Yeah the price on the 40D is very good right now. I just feel the D300, although more money, is still worth it because it really is a pro camera. You get better build and pro level AF. Better programmable auto ISO, better metering, and better flash system is an ultimate combination in a fast changing environment. That's really suited for weddings and photojournalist stuff IMO. In any case, as long as you can work around the cameras capabilities and it's workable, it's no problem.

Quote:

Ordered a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 yesterday from BH.

BTW, the 70-200mm f4L IS I shot with was pretty sweet. Sharp corner to corner wide open which you cannot say about the f2.8 versions for the most part.

Congrats. If you get a lens dud, you can always just return and keep getting it until you get a good one
wink.gif

Just get the 2.8
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Was it because the shutter speed was too low? It's good to practice steady holding technique regardless.

A funny thing though Canon's IS doesn't work as well for me compared to Nikon's VR. I think the way you shake matters. I've tried each on various lens' cameras and that's my results. It's kind of annoying really because some of my shots even at 1/30 or 1/20 aren't as sharp as I'd like them compared to others' attempts.

Quote:

I may try out the 70-200mm f2.8 IS version soon as I want to see if the IS on that lens will be required by my shooting. I am hoping not as I can save some money and grab a flash unit and the 85mm f1.8 with scratch I saved.

Another option you have is 85 f/1.8, 135 f/2, and 1.4 teleconvertor.
biggrin.gif

Jun 21, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #762 of 2,718
Quote:

Another option you have is 85 f/1.8, 135 f/2, and 1.4 teleconvertor.
biggrin.gif

Yeah the 85mm is on my list as I have shot it before and loved it. (as long as you shoot with the sun at your back)

The 135mm L is something I would also like to own. A bargain lens for what it delivers which is sharpness and a smooth creamy bokeh.

I know BH is easy to deal with but can you say the lens is not sharp and replace it? I think they do have a no questions asked policy which is sweet.

Jun 21, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #763 of 2,718
Quote:

The 135mm L is something I would also like to own. A bargain lens for what it delivers which is sharpness and a smooth creamy bokeh.

I know BH is easy to deal with but can you say the lens is not sharp and replace it? I think they do have a no questions asked policy which is sweet.

I'm really liking the 135mm range and above with F2. I'm feeling the 85 and 100 aren't enough to wipe out distracting backgrounds.

I think B&H is fine with that stuff. Just don't get too crazy with it.

Jun 21, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #764 of 2,718
Quote:

I'm really liking the 135mm range and above with F2. I'm feeling the 85 and 100 aren't enough to wipe out distracting backgrounds.

I think B&H is fine with that stuff. Just don't get too crazy with it.

What do you use for custom WB in the field? I have a gray card but was thinking of grabbing and Expodisc.

Jun 21, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #765 of 2,718
Well if I'm shooting RAW, the white balance doesn't really matter. If I'm in the same location and lighting and want to post process faster, I could just set the white balance to anything fixed and batch adjust later. Of course if you are in a changing environment, I just use auto and fix as needed in post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back