The Canon Thread
Feb 15, 2008 at 7:32 AM Post #541 of 2,718
I've been using my PowerShot A570 IS casually, and its a awesome point-n-shoot cam! You can adjust, basically everything, in Program or Manual mode, and many options in other modes.

But I am wanting more and more Optical Zoom, so I've been looking at the PowerShot S5 IS.

Feb 15, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #542 of 2,718
Powershot 570IS is a great camera. I had it for a month before i decided on a DSLR (Canon 20D). You should get the CHDK hack for it. If you havent seen it....just search for CHDK on google. Will let you shoot RAW, give you live Histograms and DoF Calculator also gives you live blinkies (when a part of the shot is blown out). Best part is its on your memory card...you dont have to flash the firmware on the camera at all. So you have no problems ruining your warranty or anything. I sold mine with the flashware on the mem card and the person who bought it from me LOVES IT.

Feb 16, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #543 of 2,718
Hey canon users, what flash are you using and what type of diffuser are you using?

Im thinking about getting a diffuser for my 430ex (just got it today) and thinking about which to get when i cant bounce light.

Is there a real difference in between the cheap ones from ebay?

I was thinking of either one of those plastic ones that cover the whole front of the flash(Sto-Fen). Like here -

omnibounce.jpg

or maybe one of the bag type ones that are easy to store in a pocket or whatever. Like the one here-

99_2.JPG

Feb 16, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #546 of 2,718
ya, way to bulky and way to much money hehe....im a cheap person....also need it to be small and compact...something i can fit in a pocket.

Feb 27, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #547 of 2,718
Depends on what you're shooting. If you shoot a lot of macro, lumiquest pocket bouncer and pocket diffusers are great for softening direct light. The stofen is nice only for indoor use...once you get outdoors where you can't bounce any light, it has almost no effect.

Mar 2, 2008 at 1:31 PM Post #548 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends on what you're shooting. If you shoot a lot of macro, lumiquest pocket bouncer and pocket diffusers are great for softening direct light. The stofen is nice only for indoor use...once you get outdoors where you can't bounce any light, it has almost no effect.

I'm smiling here. I just got the 580ex II and have been searching ebay and everywhere else trying to decide the same thing. I forgot about my lumiquest bouncers hidden away in my old film cam bag, LOL. Thanks for the reminder!

Mar 3, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #549 of 2,718
well, i ordered one of those bag types diffuser, the 2nd pic in my post above and they ended up sending me a inflatable softbox hehe....not that im mad, cause its a better item...and i believe they going to send me the one i really ordered. I like it honestly, i mean its cheap...its not made for my flash size (its for the 580, i have a 430ex) however it does throw alot of soft light. Im losing alittle overall light, but its MUCH MUCH less harsh...

Here is what mine looks like, pretty much exactly..

diffuserch6.jpg

Mar 4, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #551 of 2,718
Wow an inflatable softbox. Do you actually blow air into it? That's quite a bit of work.

I have a mini softbox also, Westcott Micro Apollo. It's flat and velcros on.

Mar 4, 2008 at 7:09 AM Post #552 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by red sox 7327 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my power shot sd870. I am having a blast with it!

how is that wide angle lens working out for you? I was thinking about upgrading my sd600 for times when i cant carry my XT around. BTW you should go here
Canon Digital Photography Forums - Powered by vBulletin

head-fi but for canons.

Mar 5, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #553 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow an inflatable softbox. Do you actually blow air into it? That's quite a bit of work.

I have a mini softbox also, Westcott Micro Apollo. It's flat and velcros on.

Very easy to blow up actually...if you feeling lazy you can push the nozzle to a rocket blower in there and few puffs and youre on your way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how is that wide angle lens working out for you? I was thinking about upgrading my sd600 for times when i cant carry my XT around. BTW you should go here
Canon Digital Photography Forums - Powered by vBulletin

head-fi but for canons.

Ohh god i love that board also....however, just like here...be careful with your wallet hahahaha...

PS- Im HighLife also on the canon forums =)

Mar 5, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #554 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif

PS- Im HighLife also on the canon forums =)

i am also coolshot on the canon forums

Users who are viewing this thread

Back