The Canon Thread
Jun 21, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #31 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, does anyone have any experience with the Bushhawk? I'm thinking about picking one up to use with my 100/2.8, hopefully it will work for macro as well as it would for telephoto.

It's interesting, no? I've considered it, too, but it's definitely something I'd like to try before I buy for macro.

Why are you getting rid of the ring light? Are you happy enough with just a normal flash? I've seen some pretty good slap fights on other forums concerning ring vs. standard for macro.

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()

Anyone else out there in Canon land a Custom Function 4 (4-1 specifically) fan? It took some getting used to at first, but I wouldn't be without now. It puts autofocus on the * button, separating it from exposure lock. Got to be careful with it shooting wide open. If you recompose you can lose the focal plane. Still, I like.

Jun 21, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #32 of 2,718
Samgotit,

My original intentions were to use the ringlight for fill while I used my 430EX for directional. However, I've noticed that the small amount of light the ringlight produces isn't worth the cost and added bulk of the system, and since the bulbs are so small the light tends to look harsh and rather unnatural. I've tried nearly every flash setup there is and I've surprisingly had the best success using a single, diffused flash pointed down at the subject. It offers the most natural look, is conveniant and can be quickly altered if I want a change in lighting.

Anyway, as for CF4, I've tried it several times before and always find myself switching back to the standard shutter button for autofocus. I see its advantages but just can't get used to it. But then again, since I don't really use autofocus much for the work I do (no birding or sports shooting for me), it's not really a problem.

Jun 21, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #33 of 2,718
I just picked up the 30D with the 17-85 lens. I don't know much about photography, but am hoping this camera helps me along the way to producing some respectable shots.

Jun 21, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #34 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone else out there in Canon land a Custom Function 4 (4-1 specifically) fan? It took some getting used to at first, but I wouldn't be without now. It puts autofocus on the * button, separating it from exposure lock. Got to be careful with it shooting wide open. If you recompose you can lose the focal plane. Still, I like.

I'm almost always on 4-1 now. I find it does make composing the shot faster....having the exposure lock on the shutter seems easier for me to spot meter too. But I guess it's whatever you get use to. One of the main things I like the 4-1 best for though is being able to focus while in AI Servo mode. Seems pretty good at focusing even a non moving object (so that I don't have to necessarily go to One Shot). Mainly keep it at that in case I have my camera around when an airplane or a bird all of a sudden flies overhead. I wanna be ready for capturing the moment!

Jun 21, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #35 of 2,718
The 70-200mm f/4 L IS lens is a great lens it takes some exellent shots even though it is only f/4 if you don't greatly need IS because you can still take some good pictures hand held try out the 70-200mm f/2.8L the f/4 is still greatly sharp

The Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro is a highly versitle lens for both portriats and macros

Jun 22, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #36 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's how I have my 20D set up. Works great, especially if you like to fine tune the focus manually, which I do a lot. Just have to remember to keep that button pressed when in AI Servo mode and you want to track something.

Jun 22, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #37 of 2,718
I started with a Canon EOS 650 around 2001, but it developed the famous "sticky shutter" problem that allot of the older Canon's develop. I moved to a used Elan II body a few months ago and love it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Lenses:
Vivitar Series 1 APO 70-210mm
Canon 35-70mm
Cosina 19-35mm

Filters:
B+W

Jun 22, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #38 of 2,718
I also love Custom function 4-1. Having them separated like that totally makes sense since you have maximum control. I also use 4-2 when i don't need any form of lock.

Jun 22, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #39 of 2,718
I love my 20D. Though I'd eventually like to step up to a full-frame sensor and regain a full size viewfinder. Lens-wise I'm also quite happy. I've got it to 3 lenses that cover pretty much everything I shoot - 10-22, 24-70L and 70-200 f/4L. I also have the nifty fifty (f/1.8) and the 85 f/1.8. The 85 is easily the sharpest lens I own, but it does suffer from chromatic aberration more often than most lenses I've tried, especially with backlighting. But with good lighting conditions the clarity, contrast and bokeh are gorgeous:

IMG_3692.jpg

My favorite lens has to be the 24-70 though. Though the 85 tops it in image quality, the 24-70 isn't really that far behind, but it is soooo much versatile - it's the lens that is on my camera the most, by far.

Jun 22, 2007 at 12:02 PM Post #40 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamP88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love my 20D. Though I'd eventually like to step up to a full-frame sensor and regain a full size viewfinder. Lens-wise I'm also quite happy. I've got it to 3 lenses that cover pretty much everything I shoot - 10-22, 24-70L and 70-200 f/4L. I also have the nifty fifty (f/1.8) and the 85 f/1.8. The 85 is easily the sharpest lens I own, but it does suffer from chromatic aberration more often than most lenses I've tried, especially with backlighting. But with good lighting conditions the clarity, contrast and bokeh are gorgeous:

IMG_3692.jpg

My favorite lens has to be the 24-70 though. Though the 85 tops it in image quality, the 24-70 isn't really that far behind, but it is soooo much versatile - it's the lens that is on my camera the most, by far.

Lovely shot with the 85. I use mine with the 500D closeup adapter sometimes for flowers, since the 85/1.8 doesn't focus especially closely. (The minimum focusing distance is about the only thing I don't like about this lens).

The 24-70 would drive me nuts on a 20D - not nearly wide enough for a crop body. Heck, the 17-40 isn't even wide enough for me on the 20D.

Jun 22, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #42 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerguy0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 24-70 would drive me nuts on a 20D - not nearly wide enough for a crop body. Heck, the 17-40 isn't even wide enough for me on the 20D.

That's why I've got the 10-22. Definitely don't feel the need for anything wider with that lens on the camera.
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #43 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamP88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's why I've got the 10-22. Definitely don't feel the need for anything wider with that lens on the camera.
biggrin.gif

Yep, I added the 10-22 as well. I still miss my FD 14 f/2.8L, though. Even wider than the 10-22.

Jun 22, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #45 of 2,718
20D owner here.
I got mine with the 17-85 IS kit lens. I like that lens okay. Then I got a Canon 70-300 f4-5.6 IS lens which has never taken a sharp photo. Then I got the Canon 100mm 2.8 macro lens. That one is a great lens. Good color and very sharp. The only AF problems I have are when working at it's closest focusing distance.

I need suggestions for a really good circular polarazing filter. I got a Tiffen "Mooses warming" circular polarizing filter. I don't like it all that well.
I think the "warming" effect is what I don't like. I tend to like cooler photos.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back