The Canon Thread
Dec 19, 2008 at 9:50 AM Post #1,442 of 2,718
Dear Canon Headfiers

I am still stuck in a timewarp with my EOS650 (and happy!) but my wife wants a new camera.

I've had a look at the 40D and the 50D.

My question: is the 50D worth the extra? (better LCD and 3200 ASA is not all that important).

Thanks very much

Ian A

Dec 19, 2008 at 11:50 AM Post #1,443 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by millionmonkeys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear Canon Headfiers

I am still stuck in a timewarp with my EOS650 (and happy!) but my wife wants a new camera.

My question: is the 50D worth the extra? (better LCD and 3200 ASA is not all that important).

Thanks very much

Ian A

Coming here and asking that question as a first post is like going to a computer forum and asking what headphone amp to buy - I'm sure there are people here that can answer, but why not go to the Canon forums and sign up there instead? The link is:
Canon Digital Photography Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Personally I would probably get the 40D. The 50D feels like a 30Dish (as compared to the 20D which is what I still have) sort of upgrade, not quite big enough to be really worth the extra money, and some say 40D actually gives better pictures.

To be honest, if I was you, I would try to find a 5D in good shape instead; a huge and bright viewfinder, no crop so lenses are what they are supposed to be and with image quality that is still one of the best at lower ISO settings (compared to D700 here: Nikon D700 Review: 28. Compared to (RAW): Digital Photography Review ) it's a great deal today. IMHO.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 19, 2008 at 1:44 PM Post #1,444 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Using a mount adaptor for your Nikon lenses?

Yep. I've had it for a few months now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by millionmonkeys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear Canon Headfiers

I just sold my EOS650 to a photo student recently.

I say get the 40D. $ is better spent on lenses. At least you can share lenses if they're EF.

Dec 20, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #1,446 of 2,718
Quote:

Coming here and asking that question as a first post is like going to a computer forum and asking what headphone amp to buy

I know it looks odd but I've been lurking and enjoying the headfi forums and the Canon question is somewhat opportunistic.

Thanks for your comments.

Dec 21, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #1,447 of 2,718
If you can go for the 5D, I do it. Those wide angle lenses will love you for it, with the small price of vignetting at the corners. However, the 40D is a great value in comparison to the newer 50D. It's 3.5 fps faster than the 5D, built-in sensor cleaning, and more water and dust-resistant seals.

Dec 21, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #1,448 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So how are you like the 5D Mark 2 lan?

I haven't opened it out of the box yet. I want to get past the first round of bug shenanigans first and see what they come out with first firmware update. I'm still evaluating manual focus lenses so no big rush here.

Dec 21, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #1,449 of 2,718
I intend to get the 5D Mark II, but I have no idea when. I was originally thinking in the next three or four months but now I suspect it will wait until summer or maybe a bit later. I'll just keep truckin with my four year old 1D Mark II for now until the shutter dies (early indications of problems at higher shutter speeds which I don't use often and so I don't care yet). When it does die, I'll send it in for a repair.

Dec 21, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #1,450 of 2,718
Depending on what you do, a 5D isn't always a step up from a 1D especially when dealing with fast moving things.

Dec 22, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #1,452 of 2,718
Ah so you're going to keep nice. Nice.
smily_headphones1.gif
It's always good to have different multiple cameras around.

Jan 5, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #1,454 of 2,718
Nice. Congrats on getting a fine camera. Can you tell the difference?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back