The Canon Thread
Aug 26, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #1,141 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EDIT: Possibly or probably pulling the trigger on a Canon 200mm f2.8L II this Friday. Just need that extra reach until I can get the 70-200mm IS for Christmas. Plus I can get an 85mm f1.8 with the rest of the money.

This sounds like a plan. No need for 135/2 if you'll have prime on both extremes and 70-200 zoom either.
biggrin.gif

Aug 26, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #1,143 of 2,718
Damn, if only it had a few more focus points. But the ISO sounds sexy...

Aug 26, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #1,144 of 2,718
Sad to see that the new 18-200IS is still not positioned to compete against the 18-200VR nikon.

For the 50D:

Quote:

Originally Posted by canon
Camera Adjusts Tricky Details.
New Lens Peripheral Illumination Correction setting to automatically even the brightness across the image.
spacer
Canon's exclusive Lens Peripheral Illumination setting takes into account any light falloff in the corners of the frame and corrects it, making for a perfectly exposed image. Correction data are detected automatically on a number of Canon EF lenses and can be entered manually through the included Canon EOS Utility software.

I hope this is an option and not an always on feature.
Sometimes the light fall off of certain lenses is desirable. It would be a shame to loose this nice touch.

I'm also a little sad to see they are spending so much time and effort with live view. Face detection? I hope they are not loosing sight of what audience buys a 50D.

And sadly, it still looks like the same ergonomics of the 40D, which is not something I like.

Oh well, lets hope the updated 5D isn't a botch.

Aug 26, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #1,145 of 2,718
The lightfall off compensation is a cool thing. I'm happy to see that in there as sometimes you just don't want to adjust in post processing so it'll help workflow speeds. If i wanted light falloff, I could just do it in post processing.

I wonder how much the 18-200IS will be.

laxx, what will just a few more points do for you? Gotta have all 45 or more
biggrin.gif

Aug 26, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #1,146 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The lightfall off compensation is a cool thing. I'm happy to see that in there as sometimes you just don't want to adjust in post processing so it'll help workflow speeds. If i wanted light falloff, I could just do it in post processing.

Lightfalloff is a cool thing. I'm happy when it's there sometimes, because I don't want to add it in post processing. It helps my workflow speeds.

If I didn't want light falloff, I could just remove it in post processing.

^_^

I go for an artistic effect with some of my pictures, so light falloff is really a valuable asset! For those who just shot pictures of white screens or skies, I can understand.

I know which of my lenses, and at what focal lengths, will give falloff so I can anticipate which lens to use for what shot. Very simple.

Aug 26, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #1,147 of 2,718
Quote:

laxx, what will just a few more points do for you? Gotta have all 45 or more
biggrin.gif

If my wallet let me have all 45, I'd be more than willing to have it. =[

Aug 26, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #1,148 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lightfalloff is a cool thing.

I go for an artistic effect with some of my pictures

I know which of my lenses, and at what focal lengths, will give falloff so I can anticipate which lens to use for what shot. Very simple.

It really should be a setting since this is a glass half full/empty thing. You would prefer to leave it off and post process it. I'd prefer it on and not have to deal with it in post processing since the majority of my pics don't want/need it. For the occasional artistic effect, I rather have a certain amount at any focal length, on any lens, at any f/stop so I would post process it anyhow and not leave it at whatever the lens wants it to be.

Aug 26, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #1,149 of 2,718
Quote:

It really should be a setting since this is a glass half full/empty thing. You would prefer to leave it off and post process it. I'd prefer it on and not have to deal with it in post processing since the majority of my pics don't want/need it. For the occasional artistic effect, I rather have a certain amount at any focal length, on any lens, at any f/stop so I would post process it anyhow and not leave it at whatever the lens wants it to be.

Agreed, it really should be an option to turn on/off. That's what I wonder.
If it isn't an option, I think it would be a big "opps" for the 50D.

Aug 26, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #1,150 of 2,718
AF fine tuning is more interesting to me as is the current 40D features of sRAW. An improved live view is somewhat useful to me also. I'm not going here though. Some of us await the new 5D replacement.
biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #1,151 of 2,718
The 50D looks pretty impressive. There are going to be a lot of 40Ds for sale soon.

Aug 27, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #1,153 of 2,718
Can't you still return your 40D? 50D isn't coming out till October. Then again the price difference is nearly the price of some good lenses.

Aug 27, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #1,154 of 2,718
Quote:

Can't you still return your 40D? 50D isn't coming out till October. Then again the price difference is nearly the price of some good lenses.

I wish I could. I purchased it at the end of June from best buy. I doubt that they will take it back now after 14 days.

I already have all of the lenses that I need for now, so the extra cost of the 50d would be well worth it to me.

BTW, I bet the LCD screen on the 50d is going to be just amazing.

Aug 27, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #1,155 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 50D looks pretty impressive. There are going to be a lot of 40Ds for sale soon.

I hope the next gen 5D comes out soon. Then I might be able to get a full frame camera for cheap
biggrin.gif
I recently got a chance to shoot with the 5D and it is superb. Handling is good, especially with the battery grip. The ISO performance is also pretty decent (certainly usable at 1600). The 5D does take a fraction longer to attain focus than the D300 and I still prefer the Nikon menus. Anyhow, I would love to get my paws on one for scenic shots because the D700 is too expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back