The Canon Thread
Jul 24, 2007 at 6:22 AM Post #316 of 2,718
received my 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM today
biggrin.gif

i didn't really have much time to play around with it so i just took a couple snapshots indoors to make sure focus was okay, IS worked, and it was sharp. and yes, yes, and OMG yes it was! i can tell i am going to fall in love with this lens...

100% Crop
focus3.jpg

55mm, f/2.8, 1/125s, ISO100, Av Mode, tripod mounted (IS off)

cap.jpg

40mm, f/3.2, 1/15s, ISO100, Av Mode, handheld (IS on)

100% Crop
capcrop.jpg

pillow.jpg

55mm, f/2.8, 1/30s, ISO100, Av Mode, handheld (IS on)

100% Crop
pillowcrop.jpg

the above images are just tests/snapshots, please bear in mind --- when i get the opportunity, i will go out and do some real shooting
tongue.gif

Jul 24, 2007 at 6:30 AM Post #317 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheChemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the 50 1.8 is really quite sharp at f/4.0!

Hmm, the image looks pretty oversharpened. What are your post-processing steps? Post-processing is a vital and rather sensitive aspect of digital photography and can truly make or break an image, so make sure you learn it very well.

Jul 24, 2007 at 6:32 AM Post #318 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sh0eBoX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
received my 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM today
biggrin.gif

i didn't really have much time to play around with it so i just took a couple snapshots indoors to make sure focus was okay, IS worked, and it was sharp. and yes, yes, and OMG yes it was! i can tell i am going to fall in love with this lens...

100% Crop

55mm, f/2.8, 1/125s, ISO100, Av Mode, tripod mounted (IS off)

40mm, f/3.2, 1/15s, ISO100, Av Mode, handheld (IS on)

100% Crop

55mm, f/2.8, 1/30s, ISO100, Av Mode, handheld (IS on)

100% Crop

the above images are just tests/snapshots, please bear in mind --- when i get the opportunity, i will go out and do some real shooting
tongue.gif

Holy cow, that is one sharp lens! Sharper than a lot of L's I've seen. That's definitely a step up from your current kit lens, nifty fifty, and Sigma 7/3 APO lineup
smily_headphones1.gif

Have fun with it and enjoy Hawaii
biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2007 at 6:38 AM Post #319 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Holy cow, that is one sharp lens! Sharper than a lot of L's I've seen. That's definitely a step up from your current kit lens, nifty fifty, and Sigma 7/3 APO lineup
smily_headphones1.gif

Have fun with it and enjoy Hawaii
biggrin.gif

haha yeah a HUGE step up... but after seeing how this little bugger performs (ESPECIALLY wide open) i'm SO happy i took the plunge... i can tell it will be worth every penny. i can't believe it's as sharp as it is, and the colors as good as they are, with zero post processing! oh --- and thanks haha i'm really excited for hawaii
biggrin.gif
hopefully my photog skills are up to par with this lens, so i can produce the kind of pictures this lens is capable of turning out!

Jul 24, 2007 at 7:49 AM Post #320 of 2,718
Quote:

Hmm, the image looks pretty oversharpened. What are your post-processing steps? Post-processing is a vital and rather sensitive aspect of digital photography and can truly make or break an image, so make sure you learn it very well.

edit oops lightroom sharpened it a little, hold up.

RAW>Lightroom>Crop>export

http://picturemonger.com/Images/IMG_6749-4.jpg

still effing sharp.

Jul 24, 2007 at 8:16 AM Post #321 of 2,718
Quote:

RAW>Lightroom>Crop>export

http://picturemonger.com/Images/IMG_6749-4.jpg

still effing sharp.

Looks better than before, though.

Does Lightroom have USM?

Jul 24, 2007 at 8:26 AM Post #322 of 2,718
Quote:

Looks better than before, though.

Does Lightroom have USM?

lightroom's sharpening is pretty awful, to be honest. its really a big bummer, because other than that, LR is really spectacular. the library is awesome and the RAW processing is much more fluid than in photoshop. i still do all of my sharpening (USM) and resizing in photoshop though.

Jul 24, 2007 at 2:41 PM Post #323 of 2,718
Quote:

still effing sharp.

I've noticed on POTN that people say that the defaults for the Rebel are too sharp. Could be that you need to take down sharpness on the camera....

Actually, Camera Raw in PS CS3 extended is pretty good: seems to have more usable controls.

Jul 24, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #324 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've noticed on POTN that people say that the defaults for the Rebel are too sharp. Could be that you need to take down sharpness on the camera....

Uh I shoot in RAW, it's unprocessed on the camera.

Jul 24, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #325 of 2,718
Quote:

Uh I shoot in RAW, it's unprocessed on the camera.

I don't use Lightroom, but almost all the RAW apps that I've used keep the exposure settings and set that as the default when you first open the image. RAW is actually processed (otherwise you wouldn't be able to see it at all)....it's just a larger format because its keeping all the capture data from the sensor. Are you sure it's not defaulting to the camera's sharpness setting?

Jul 24, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #326 of 2,718
Quote:

I don't use Lightroom, but almost all the RAW apps that I've used keep the exposure settings and set that as the default when you first open the image. RAW is actually processed (otherwise you wouldn't be able to see it at all)....it's just a larger format because its keeping all the capture data from the sensor. Are you sure it's not defaulting to the camera's sharpness setting?

The sharpness setting on Lightroom is always moved to 0; and in any event, there's no place on the XT to change the RAW sharpness. I don't even know what the issue is, the images don't look oversharpened to me out of the camera.

Jul 24, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #327 of 2,718
Quote:

The sharpness setting on Lightroom is always moved to 0; and in any event, there's no place on the XT to change the RAW sharpness.

RAW sharpness is the same as JPEG.....your camera's color profile effects the RAW image in the same manner as a JPEG: it's just that there's extra data in the RAW that lets you adjust the image afterwards. If it's not a Lightroom issue, I've found this review of the 350D....which says that the Rebel does apply more sharpness then other Canons, and that you can set "Parameter 2 (no out-of-the-camera enhancements)". So it's possible that Lightroom is opening up the RAW to the defaults of the camera. Worth testing out at least
icon10.gif

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...XT-Review.aspx

Jul 24, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #328 of 2,718
Quote:

RAW sharpness is the same as JPEG.....your camera's color profile effects the RAW image in the same manner as a JPEG: it's just that there's extra data in the RAW that lets you adjust the image afterwards. If it's not a Lightroom issue, I've found this review of the 350D....which says that the Rebel does apply more sharpness then other Canons, and that you can set "Parameter 2 (no out-of-the-camera enhancements)". So it's possible that Lightroom is opening up the RAW to the defaults of the camera. Worth testing out at least
icon10.gif

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...XT-Review.aspx

whatever, my parameter is flat and i have no problems simply zeroing sharpness in lightroom then using USM in photoshop.

Jul 24, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #329 of 2,718
Quote:

lightroom's sharpening is pretty awful, to be honest. its really a big bummer, because other than that, LR is really spectacular. the library is awesome and the RAW processing is much more fluid than in photoshop. i still do all of my sharpening (USM) and resizing in photoshop though.

I haven't had a chance to use lightroom. the RAW processing of CS3 seems fine to me. Is there really more to the RAW workflow in lightroom that makes it better?

I don't do resizing in Photoshop. Bicubic isn't the best resizer. Try using anything with Lanczos. It's just sharper and has more detail. I use just a tad little USM after.

Jul 24, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #330 of 2,718
Sh0eBoX, congrats on the lens! It looks sharp enough. I wouldn't get too crazy about the sharpness. One thing about spending $ on some lenses is they perform well wide open. It takes time to master a lens... to see what it's limits are.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll be looking forward to seeing your pics from this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back