The BS Of A PM ...
Nov 15, 2015 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

ricksome

500+ Head-Fier
... The Bull S**t of a Price Match

Walmart.com has an iPad Mini 2 16gb for $199.00 I thought that I would test out Price Matching at other retailers. Here is what happened:

In each store, I specifically ask for an iPad mini 2 16gb.

When the item was brought to the register, I ask for a price match to Walmart.com

Staples: The manager scanned the item. When it rang up at the regular price, he told me that he brought the wrong item to the register. This Staples was out of stock.

HHGregg: I was standing right next to the sign that had the price match policy. The manager told me that he would not match the price.

Walmart: I was told by a store clerk that I would have to order on line and pick the item up in the store to get the $199 price.

Best Buy: They matched the price with no hassle. I bought the item.

Anyone else have a Price Match Story To Share.

Nov 19, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #2 of 2
Weird that Walmart didn't price-match to their website (that said, site-to-store has been quite nifty the few times I've used it); I've had Best Buy do that in-store in the past (got a Harmony remote like $100 off). Also had Best Buy do a "generic price match" on some computer parts in the past - their specific (in-house brand) wasn't available from other retailers (e.g. Newegg) but it was more or less the same product, so they still honored the price-match. I don't bother with Staples.

There's probably room the old stand-by legend about the CompUSA pricematch on food - they'd pricematch anything in their store (and had this weird "we'll match and beat" thing so they'd drop the price lower than the competitor by X amount - it was like $1 or $5 or something like that; the idea being you want your iPad and they have it for $699 and Walmart has it for $399, they'd sell it to you for $395 or 398 or something like that to be "lower" but they applied it to all items in store at one point)), and since their prices were always hilariously high compared to everyone else (and it didn't matter on what item), you could often ding them for a free soda or candy if you had an ad from a grocery store or 7-11 or something showing the same soda/candy/etc item since usually a soda is like $0.50 or $0.99 at most of those places, while CompUSA would generally want something silly (like $1.50) and with their "match and beat" you could get it free (since that $1 or $5 or whatever it was would zero the price out). I know at one point there were rumors (with photos) of people getting whole boxes of candy (like literally going up and picking up the box with 24 retail candy bars in it) and getting it free, likely right before being thrown out of the store - never seen or tried that in person. :rolleyes: Near the end, they changed the policy and stopped letting it cover snacks, and once they went under the snacks were exempted from the close-out sales.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back