The Bruce Springsteen Wrecking Ball Thread
Apr 1, 2012 at 7:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Chris J

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey!
Let's start a Springsteen "Wrecking Ball" thread!

Does anyone out there think that Wrecking Ball is his best album since "The Rising"?
I think "Death To My Hometown" is one of The Greatest songs Bruce has ever written, fantastic heartfelt lyrics.
"We Take Care Of Our Own".....great song, great lyrics.
Any comments from anyone else?
beerchug.gif

Apr 2, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #2 of 6
I will preface this by saying: I can't claim to be a hardcore Springsteen fan but I personally like "Magic" better.  I go for Springsteen's rock side like: "The River", "Darkness on the Edge of Town" and "Born in the USA".  "Wrecking Ball" has a too much "Roots Rock" for my tastes.  I don't care for the Irish, Gospel and Country styling's.  I do really like the title track.  "This Depression" is a good tune as well.  Overall, I don't see myself going back to this album much.  However, I can see why others with more diverse tastes would like it.  "Death To My Hometown", "We Are Alive", "Jack of All Trades" all have fantastic lyrics.

Apr 2, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #3 of 6
"Magic" is a funny album for me, I keep telling myself I don't really like it but I keep listening to it!
I think the mastering drives me nuts.
I agree about Darkness, The River and Born In The USA.   That is Bruce at his creative peak. I will also add in Nebraska, but I can't listen to it a lot, much too dark.
"Working On  Dream" is rather weak, in my opinion, a few good tracks. "Outlaw Pete", "My Lucky Day", "Last Carnival", "The Wrestler"  and a lot of filler.
I guess I like the diversity and breadth of "Wrecking Ball".

Apr 2, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #4 of 6
Yeah, "Nebraska" is my 4th favorite Springsteen album.  "The Rising" would be #5.  Also agree about Working On a Dream.  I was disappointed with that one.  "Outlaw Pete" is a great track though.

Apr 3, 2012 at 7:14 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
Interesting article:
http://www.stereophile.com/content/wrecking-ball
Werner.

Interesting article, but wrong album.
I would apply that article to "Working On A Dream".

I'll have to read up on what that reviewer says about modern day Stones and Egos (oops, I mean't The Eagles).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back