The Black Metal paradox
Mar 4, 2018 at 7:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Selfish Android

Head-Fier
Hello fellow audiophile wanna bes, i want to discuss about black metal, as you may think i am here because i care about sound more than a normal person would, i try to upgrade headphones, amps and dacs constantly in search of the audio nirvana, but here is the catch, in recent years one of my favorite genres is Black Metal (and what's wrong with that you may ask) well Black Metal is a genre characterized for being "low-fi" in fact many of the angular stones of the genre are recorded with a potato in a forest in Norway.

I understand and acknowledge that poor record quality is part of the charm and i certainly enjoy it it feels raw and bleak as it is made to be, but for me, someone who wants to hear the best quality possible out of my setup sometimes "rawness" won't satisfy my ears nor my setup. (i literally cannot hear this album with my SR325e)

The Trve kvlt crowd would say well then you just don't like black metal, "black metal is about blablabla" yeah i know i understand the philosophy behind BM, but for those who can appreciate a well mastered record are going to have a hard time with it, there must be good BM bands that pay attention to this aspect that are not commercial or sellouts.
and that's the point and reason of this post, i want to know what are the best BM albums in both sound quality and musical quality, let me explain, a well mastered but bad album won't count,(for example in other sub genre of metal St Anger has ok production quality but the album is crappy as ****).

So metal heads what albums do you think will fill my requirements.

Mar 4, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #2 of 5
Just had a losten to that, awesome track but man o man that sounds like a treble harshness overkill. Having grados and magnums before, i can only imagine how much that would hurt on a pair of 325! I dont listen to much black metal for exactly that reason, production value is below tolerable for the most part. Only extreme metal well produced i can think of is cattle decapitation - monolith of inhumanity, but thats not black metal, so i dont know why im writing anymore. Im interested to see if theres some decent production black metal similar to the jam posted above, cuz iz beez interested in that.

Mar 4, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #3 of 5
Just had a losten to that, awesome track but man o man that sounds like a treble harshness overkill. Having grados and magnums before, i can only imagine how much that would hurt on a pair of 325! I dont listen to much black metal for exactly that reason, production value is below tolerable for the most part. Only extreme metal well produced i can think of is cattle decapitation - monolith of inhumanity, but thats not black metal, so i dont know why im writing anymore. Im interested to see if theres some decent production black metal similar to the jam posted above, cuz iz beez interested in that.

Yeah i really like that album but it requires serious equalization before you can actually listen to it lol, btw i'm open to any extreme metal suggestions but Black is the focus, so feel free to suggest your favorite well mastered albums in these sub genres and yeah "Monolith of inhumanity" is a sick album fist bump on that one.

Mar 7, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #4 of 5
So if I understand you correctly, you're looking for better produced black metal for a more audiophile experience...

Abbath, Arcturus, late era Immortal albums, Black Anvil, Blut Aus Nord, Caladan Brood, Dark Funeral, Dark Fortress, Emperor, Infernal War, Keep of Kalessin, Khonsu, Naglfar, Ragnarok, Rimfrost, Satyricon, Setherial, Summoning, Tombs, and White Ward come to mind as having decent to excellent production for black metal. It's all a mix of straight black metal, to progressive black, post-black, atmospheric black, etc.. Most of these bands are on bandcamp. I think you would enjoy the modern production of these. Plus they're all good bands IMO. :)

Mar 13, 2018 at 4:06 AM Post #5 of 5
Hello fellow audiophile wanna bes, i want to discuss about black metal, as you may think i am here because i care about sound more than a normal person would, i try to upgrade headphones, amps and dacs constantly in search of the audio nirvana, but here is the catch, in recent years one of my favorite genres is Black Metal (and what's wrong with that you may ask) well Black Metal is a genre characterized for being "low-fi" in fact many of the angular stones of the genre are recorded with a potato in a forest in Norway.

I understand and acknowledge that poor record quality is part of the charm and i certainly enjoy it it feels raw and bleak as it is made to be, but for me, someone who wants to hear the best quality possible out of my setup sometimes "rawness" won't satisfy my ears nor my setup. (i literally cannot hear this album with my SR325e)

The Trve kvlt crowd would say well then you just don't like black metal, "black metal is about blablabla" yeah i know i understand the philosophy behind BM, but for those who can appreciate a well mastered record are going to have a hard time with it, there must be good BM bands that pay attention to this aspect that are not commercial or sellouts.
and that's the point and reason of this post, i want to know what are the best BM albums in both sound quality and musical quality, let me explain, a well mastered but bad album won't count,(for example in other sub genre of metal St Anger has ok production quality but the album is ****ty as ****).

So metal heads what albums do you think will fill my requirements.

Not sure if this is black metal, (I always thought of it as viking metal).

Oh, and one of my favorite videos ever, with the music from a group that at least the vocalist, had previously been in ...
Ensiferum - Into Battle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back