The Big Lebowski
May 18, 2003 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

disturbed

500+ Head-Fier
Did anyone get this movie? Why does lebowski get all those weird dream sequences of bowling? It was kinda funky but I don't get it ...
rolleyes.gif

May 18, 2003 at 9:47 PM Post #2 of 35
i believe the dream sequence was after he had been drugged by the **** producer (treehorn). his dream (like many dreams) was a mix of elements that had happened to him earlier in the film. for example, saddam hussein hands him his bowling shoes because the dude had seen something on tv about desert storm.

the coen bros. movies are high in symbolic and stylized elements. personally i think "lebowski" is just about the funniest movie i have ever seen, and everything about it--especially the direction and script--are near perfection.

keep in mind, the coens are a bit like david lynch: great moviemakers but not to everybody's taste.

May 18, 2003 at 10:00 PM Post #6 of 35
I liked the car accident scene.
biggrin.gif

Grinnings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: Well, the funeral was funny, too...
wink.gif

May 18, 2003 at 10:05 PM Post #7 of 35
The Big Lebowski is my favorite move; I must see more Coen Bros movies. Fargo and Oh Brother Where Art Thou were great too.

May 18, 2003 at 10:09 PM Post #8 of 35
I loved the movie, and I typically like all of the Coen brothers movies. I think I like the Big Lebowski the best though... I love the part where he tries to flick the bud out the closed window. and the part where they take a bat to the car. and... Yeah. I better stop. Good movie. Jesus rocks, too.

TA

May 18, 2003 at 10:47 PM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by lini
I liked the car accident scene.
biggrin.gif

Hi lini - I loved the car accident scene too! I was in fits of laughter, and am laughing now just thinking about it
biggrin.gif

The funeral scene was funny, but also painful in a very black way. John Goodman was such an "*******"
tongue.gif

May 18, 2003 at 11:13 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by radrd
The Big Lebowski is my favorite move; I must see more Coen Bros movies. Fargo and Oh Brother Where Art Thou were great too.

Second that. I really like their movies too. Fargo is still my favorite.

When they go to scatter Donnie's ashes.........that scene just kills me. There aren't a whole lot of film makers that can make death funny. The only other one that comes to mind is in Pulp Fiction, when they have the guy in the back seat, hit a bump and accidentally blow his brains out.
That was too damm funny.

May 18, 2003 at 11:24 PM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by disturbed
Did anyone get this movie? Why does lebowski get all those weird dream sequences of bowling? It was kinda funky but I don't get it ...
rolleyes.gif

DUDE!

i liked this movie too.

May 18, 2003 at 11:49 PM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
i believe the dream sequence was after he had been drugged by the **** producer (treehorn). his dream (like many dreams) was a mix of elements that had happened to him earlier in the film. for example, saddam hussein hands him his bowling shoes because the dude had seen something on tv about desert storm.

the coen bros. movies are high in symbolic and stylized elements. personally i think "lebowski" is just about the funniest movie i have ever seen, and everything about it--especially the direction and script--are near perfection.

keep in mind, the coens are a bit like david lynch: great moviemakers but not to everybody's taste.

i totally agree. redshifter hit the nail right on the head with that one.

i just wish they'd release a criterion edition or something cuz the current dvd isn't very good quality. having both widescreen and standard on one dvd for a movie that long just didn't help the overall look of it in my opinion.

May 19, 2003 at 12:04 AM Post #14 of 35
This is really strange. I almost rented this movie this weekend but wasn't sure if it was any good. To be honest, I hadn't really heard much about it. And now I read all these great comments.

I guess I'll have to rent it after all.

MJ

May 19, 2003 at 3:11 AM Post #15 of 35
The Big Lebowski is definitely one of my all-time favorites. It's also one of the movies that I can just keep coming back to; it is a total comfort movie for me to pop in at any ole time.

I will preface this with the fact that I was not very impressed the first time I saw it. But the second and subsequent viewings became sweeter and sweeter, and now I simply adore the movie from start to finish. This same phenomenon happened with The Royal Tenenbaums.

John "Don't **** with the Jesus" Turturro is hilarious in this role. And Jeff Bridges is the perfect "Dude", and John Goodman is awesome as well. I've had several movies inspire me to want to learn a sport or skill -- this movie inspired my bowling addiction in high school and led to my coveted 236 game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back