The Big Fat Synergy Thread
Apr 4, 2020 at 1:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Hal Rockwell

500+ Head-Fier
So what is "Synergy"?

Synergy is the creation of a whole that is greater than the simple sum of its parts (Wikipedia).

The deeper I dove into this hobby, training my ears and accumulating additional equipment, I came to the inevitable conclusion that certain components play better with others when put together in the signal chain, as if they were created for each other. Those synergistic combos can bring the listening experience to a whole new level of satisfaction. Combos can be created by pairing individual pieces of equipment such as stand-alone DACs and amps, or matching components in a single device like certain types of opamps and buffers, that go well hand in hand.

Where do we go from here?

I want this thread to become the go to source of knowledge, listing as many combination as possible, of equipment that exceeds in its performance over its total cost. It doesn't matter if you enjoy analytical or musical, cold or warm type of sound. There are fans for any kind of sound character.

I.E.

Breeze Audio ES9038Q2M > Douk Audio P32 (Ul'yanovsk GU-32 Tube and MUSES02 Opamp) > Somic V2 Headphone
Very warm and relaxed sound. Slightly elevated bass. Fits long listening sessions without any fatigue.

Lets get it on!!!

Apr 5, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #6 of 7
Discussions of hi-fi synergy were common decades ago, when irregularities in phono cartridge & pre-amp combinations, counteracted irregularities in loudspeakers.

I think it's still relevant today. Not once I notice people asking questions on forums and Facebook groups regarding equipment matching - "which amp fits this DAC?", "Which amp is suitable for driving those headphones?". What it's about if not synergy? - There are still combos that sound better than others, even if the majority of new equipment measures well, and well beyond human perception level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back