The BeyerDynamic DT 770 Pro Discussion Thread
Feb 15, 2017 at 6:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Chris1975

100+ Head-Fier
love my BeyerDynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm headphones for on the go (they are closed and the sound isolation is pretty good). 

In this price range, they are the best closed back headphones I have tried - better than the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7, which have a pinched sound around the lows and less detail across the spectrum. They are *way* better than the V-Moda Crossfade M 100, which are much less detailed, veiled in the mids and overall show considerably less performance.

For those who have complained about sibilance, two things: a) the problem may lie with the DAC, not the headphones. My first pair had slightly high pitches when run from a cheaper DAC, but sound *so good* with the Chord Mojo. b) I know "burn in" is a debated concept, but having compared my new pair with an older pair, it seems the do become smoother, even more pleasant over time.

I am, in short, *delighted* with the fantastic headphones. In my view, best to forget V-Moda, Audio Technica etc, at this price range. The DT 770s are, I think demonstrably, way better.

One weakness is the fixed cable, and I know some have modded their DT 770s, but I'm nervous to do that. Plus, the coil cable flops nicely over my jumper and doesn't get in the way. But I'd love to see how others have managed that. 

My wife "modded" my set, making them look much more distinctive
normal_smile .gif

Feb 15, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #2 of 12
Love my DT770's too (32 ohm). My work can. I also agree about the AT's and the Crossfade M100 ...and I don't get the hype on the V-Modas. Not sure how they are considered exciting. Nice work by the wife :grinning:.

Feb 16, 2017 at 6:22 AM Post #4 of 12
Thanks both.

The V-Moda Crossfade 100 hype is rather odd, I agree @McPatD. Compared to the DT 770s they sound cheap. The bass is emphasised, of course, but the mids lack detail, are hollow. I've compared them directly, wanting the V-Modas to do well, but the DT's are in an entirely different league and, importantly, are *way* cheaper. OK, they might not look as funky as the V-Modas (and the V-Moda does have a detachable cable) but sound trumps looks in my books. 

You can always ask really nicely, @atarione ! Either that or learn to knit and weave yourself ... 

Jun 14, 2019 at 12:15 AM Post #6 of 12
Bumping this thread.
Considering (being on the fence) of returning these headphones, as I find the bass response (32Ω version, Pro) a bit overpowering and mushy at times as well. Their tonality and naturalness is though really good, if only the bass was more tight and less boomy.

I am used to drier bass, more focused and more layered, less boomy and less prominent.

Is there any mod to reduce the bass in these, and would the change to pleather pads reduce the bass and make it leaner ?

Jun 14, 2019 at 1:31 AM Post #7 of 12
Bumping this thread.
Considering (being on the fence) of returning these headphones, as I find the bass response (32Ω version, Pro) a bit overpowering and mushy at times as well. Their tonality and naturalness is though really good, if only the bass was more tight and less boomy.

I am used to drier bass, more focused and more layered, less boomy and less prominent.

Is there any mod to reduce the bass in these, and would the change to pleather pads reduce the bass and make it leaner ?

I have 32 ohms also, but they came with the pleather pads. My understanding is that the velours are a little *less* bassy (I've only tried with the DT880 velours which are different to the DT770 ones). Some music the au naturel DT770's sound fantastic, otherwise I use some EQ (bass tames quite a bit with /r/ oratory1990's ~*harman target curve*~ settings).

Jun 14, 2019 at 1:34 AM Post #8 of 12
Thanks @BreadFi, much appreciated. It does sound like I am going (in the end) with the ATH-MSR7GM.
If only this bloody bass response was drier and less boomy at times... Does this change over time to leaner, fatter, or remains the same ?

Jun 14, 2019 at 1:54 AM Post #9 of 12
Thanks @BreadFi, much appreciated. It does sound like I am going (in the end) with the ATH-MSR7GM.
If only this bloody bass response was drier and less boomy at times... Does this change over time to leaner, fatter, or remains the same ?

Bass does seem less OTT than it did to me on first listen (I believe this is a function of getting used to then though).
The AT's and AKG 545's were my other considerations at the time too. Not having the opportunity to test I went with the Beyers (being happy with the quality of my decade old DT880's).
I enjoy the bass on them, it's a good compliment to the neutrality/slightly lean of the '880's in my case.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019 at 2:44 AM Post #10 of 12
Bass does seem less OTT than it did to me on first listen (I believe this is a function of getting used to then though).
The AT's and AKG 545's were my other considerations at the time too. Not having the opportunity to test I went with the Beyers (being happy with the quality of my decade old DT880's).
I enjoy the bass on them, it's a good compliment to the neutrality/slightly lean of the '880's in my case.

I tried both, I will end up selling the K545 after getting the cable for them.They are lesser sibling to the K550, unfortunately, even (most of all, that is) sonically.
I am selling the K550s as well.

AT's (MSR7) are from my experience, despite all of their quirks, far closer to the reference quality than any of these headphones we are mentioning, but they do need some burn-in (yes, that disputed and dreaded term, according to some even non-existing) to bloom into full sounding headphone.
Headphone is a transducer and that makes it to some degree a mechanical device (that thingy called membrane is one part of the story). Even John Grado said something about that.

I am surprised that you can live with the 770s after the 880's . That got me thinking (analogously, the 880's belonging to that old flagship trio, HD600, DT880 and the K701) of my K701 off of the tube headphone amp (a good one, imo) that is letting the music to sound like music.

The 770s sounded good on the first listen, but with bass prevalent house- and EDM it proved to be just overbearing in bassy, cavernous response. Shocking amount of bass with many, or most of - otherwise well mastered and produced tracks, that feels far, far from neutral and true to the tracks as they were recorded.

Yes, always a function of getting used to everything, but there are some limits to that as well.
Such a shame, because otherwise beyers feel (my first contact with them) to have full, natural tonality, only if this boomy bass on these was done better, tighter, more layered, less boomy.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019 at 4:03 AM Post #11 of 12
am surprised that you can live with the 770s after the 880's . That got me thinking (analogously, the 880's belonging to that old flagship trio, HD600, DT880 and the K701) of my K701 off of the tube headphone amp (a good one, imo) that is letting the music to sound like music.

I've still got the 880's that I have used pretty much exclusively with a Little Dot mk III since that trio were the bee's knees. They're still my preference, and the 770's were purchased as robust and isolating/non-leaking headphones for work and travel.
To me the (un-equalised) DT770's sound like the 880's, with an added subwoofer and the "loudness" button pushed in. You lose the openness and midrange detail, but some mixes sound fun that way (a good compliment to the neutral-bright 880). Otherwise I'm pretty happy with what I can achieve with some EQ.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019 at 4:51 AM Post #12 of 12
I've still got the 880's that I have used pretty much exclusively with a Little Dot mk III since that trio were the bee's knees. They're still my preference, and the 770's were purchased as robust and isolating/non-leaking headphones for work and travel.
To me the (un-equalised) DT770's sound like the 880's, with an added subwoofer and the "loudness" button pushed in. You lose the openness and midrange detail, but some mixes sound fun that way (a good compliment to the neutral-bright 880). Otherwise I'm pretty happy with what I can achieve with some EQ.

That very neutrality is to me the key for listening all music, and in particular the type of music I listen to at the moment, so that all that has been recorded can be actually heard properly.

A lot of information otherwise (with DT770 pro, unfortunately) gets simply lost as it was never there, due to the "one note bass" tendency due to the very strong bass response.
ATH-MSR7 is in my experience much better in this regard, and some other users have mentioned that as well. Much more reference like sound.

Such a shame, because the basic tonality of the BD DT770 pro feels very natural. If I could tighten the bass and reduce it somehow, I would keep them for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back