The Beyerdynamic Byron Series (IFA 2016)
Sep 21, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #61 of 170
  Can anyone comment on the microphone quality? Is it good enough to have a phone conversation with?

Ok i haven't try to let my friend use and call to me, however i did use it for call answering, so far there aren't anyone keep telling me "Come again/Pardon?", so i assume the microphone quality is "Average", don't expect it is top notch quality. 

Sep 22, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #62 of 170

Some very very preliminary musings with my w-i-p measurement rig.  There's things that need to be fixed in the mids and highs, but I think the lower frequencies should be fairly accurate at this point in time.  Will definitely share more once I can deal with some of the issues on the rig and *when the review comes up. 1/24th smoothing applied.

Sep 22, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #63 of 170

Some very very preliminary musings with my w-i-p measurement rig.  There's things that need to be fixed in the mids and highs, but I think the lower frequencies should be fairly accurate at this point in time.  Will definitely share more once I can deal with some of the issues on the rig and *when the review comes up. 1/24th smoothing applied.

thank you. cant wait.

Sep 23, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #64 of 170
Ending up picking up the Byron BTA today since I just picked up an iPhone 7+ and wasn't enjoying having to use the 3.5 to lightning adapter with my current earbuds.

Not really looking to critically examine the audio quality of these earphones.  I understand the limitations of bluetooth audio, and therefore find it pointless to focus on the accuracy of audio in this case (I have wired sets to view in that perspective).  I'm more concerned with ease-of-use/operating-experience.  That said, I'm actually impressed with the audio so far.  I was prepared for the audio to sound much more compressed than it has been so far.  This is the first time I've actually been satisfied with a bluetooth headset.

Range tends to be pretty decent.  I can walk in adjacent rooms to my phone without the audio cutting out.  Also tested out the mic with a couple phone calls and everyone said they could hear me clearly.

Haven't gotten around to use them on my NYC subway commute yet, but it seems like they'll work out pretty well.  Excited to try them out next week while out and about.

Anyone have an idea what sized Comply tips would work with the BTA?

Sep 23, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #65 of 170
  Ending up picking up the Byron BTA today since I just picked up an iPhone 7+ and wasn't enjoying having to use the 3.5 to lightning adapter with my current earbuds.

Not really looking to critically examine the audio quality of these earphones.  I understand the limitations of bluetooth audio, and therefore find it pointless to focus ib the accuracy of audio in this case (I have wired sets to view in that perspective).  I'm more concerned with ease-of-use/operating-experience.  That said, I'm actually impressed with the audio so far.  I was prepared for the audio to sound much more compressed than it has been so far.  This is the first time I've actually been satisfied with a bluetooth headset.

Range tends to be pretty decent.  I can walk in adjacent rooms to my phone without the audio cutting out.  Also tested out the mic with a couple phone calls and everyone said they could hear me clearly.

Haven't gotten around to use them on my NYC subway commute yet, but it seems like they'll work out pretty well.  Excited to try them out next week while out and about.

Anyone have an idea what sized Comply tips would work with the BTA?

I'm going to get a pair for my BT, will update you once i have any firm answer, however i doubt they can fit, the nozzle is kinda weird.

Sep 28, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #67 of 170
  besides the cradle and the frequency, what is the difference between BT and BTA? will BT be fully working with iPhone 7 ?

Beside sound quality different, according to the website

BTA is using 4.2 while BT is using 4.1 bluetooth
BTA has AAC codecs
BTA has fast charing cradle
BTA has high quality DSP (digital signal processor)

Sep 29, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #69 of 170
I bought the Byron BT to use with my iPhone 5S. Although I can see the BTA would be better because of the AAC support, I didn't get it because of a) the price and b) proprietary charging cradle. Having a loseable cradle like that is a real turn-off for me. Also I don't understand why adding a codec doubles the price. A few thoughts on the Byron BT:

- Build quality seems good

- Design is conservative and subdued, not bright and flashy. I prefer that.

- Sound quality seems OK but I don't have anything to compare it to really, this is my first BT earphones. Also as I am using with an IOS device it's not using aptX but I knew that before buying. My Marley wired iems do sound better but that's not a fair comparison.

Dislikes

- The controls are close to the right ear. If you need to use them while walking, running, etc I don't find it all that convenient as it can pull on the ear. From pictures of other iems that seems standard these days, so maybe not a criticism of this particular design, but I much prefer the controls of my Marley wired iems in the middle, not on the side.

- When running (and I realise these aren't marketed as a sports model) the weight of the controls pulls down on the ear. It's better if you put the cable around the back of your neck but you can still feel it. Also there's some microphonics so you can hear it too. None of that would affect if you weren't running/jogging etc though.

- With the iPhone 5S (IOS10) the bluetooth controls affect an independent volume of the headphones, they don't control the iPhone's own volume. This is unlike USB HID volume control. Maybe it's just a bluetooth standard thing but it's a bit confusing as you essentially have two independent volume settings

- I find it hard to insert them far enough to get good seal. The tips supplied are thin and not much variety in sizes, and I'd like to try a double-flange design that goes further. Also I find the actual hardware that the tips go onto is a little wide for my ear canals. I'd like to try some other tips....

Overall I am reasonably happy. My primary purpose is when I am riding a bike or jogging (hence the desire to get a wireless model) so perhaps I should have been better off getting something like Jaybird X2 but I thought I'd give these a try. For sound quality if you don't really need wireless.... I'd suggest going for wired model.

Ask any questions if you like....

Sep 29, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #70 of 170
I bought the Byron BT model for the same reasons. The BTA in no way justifies the doubling of its price.

My overall impression on the Byron BT got a lot better after comparing them with the fiio ex1. The bass response is not nearly as emphasized as the fiio ex1 and the soundstage actually compares favorably to it.

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #73 of 170
  I bought the Byron BT to use with my iPhone 5S. Although I can see the BTA would be better because of the AAC support, I didn't get it because of a) the price and b) proprietary charging cradle. Having a loseable cradle like that is a real turn-off for me. Also I don't understand why adding a codec doubles the price. A few thoughts on the Byron BT:

- Build quality seems good

- Design is conservative and subdued, not bright and flashy. I prefer that.

- Sound quality seems OK but I don't have anything to compare it to really, this is my first BT earphones. Also as I am using with an IOS device it's not using aptX but I knew that before buying. My Marley wired iems do sound better but that's not a fair comparison.

Dislikes

- The controls are close to the right ear. If you need to use them while walking, running, etc I don't find it all that convenient as it can pull on the ear. From pictures of other iems that seems standard these days, so maybe not a criticism of this particular design, but I much prefer the controls of my Marley wired iems in the middle, not on the side.

- When running (and I realise these aren't marketed as a sports model) the weight of the controls pulls down on the ear. It's better if you put the cable around the back of your neck but you can still feel it. Also there's some microphonics so you can hear it too. None of that would affect if you weren't running/jogging etc though.

- With the iPhone 5S (IOS10) the bluetooth controls affect an independent volume of the headphones, they don't control the iPhone's own volume. This is unlike USB HID volume control. Maybe it's just a bluetooth standard thing but it's a bit confusing as you essentially have two independent volume settings

- I find it hard to insert them far enough to get good seal. The tips supplied are thin and not much variety in sizes, and I'd like to try a double-flange design that goes further. Also I find the actual hardware that the tips go onto is a little wide for my ear canals. I'd like to try some other tips....

Overall I am reasonably happy. My primary purpose is when I am riding a bike or jogging (hence the desire to get a wireless model) so perhaps I should have been better off getting something like Jaybird X2 but I thought I'd give these a try. For sound quality if you don't really need wireless.... I'd suggest going for wired model.

Ask any questions if you like....

Yea they are not so good for activities, they are more suitable for people who wants SQ with wireless feature.

Oct 7, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #74 of 170
OK folks here ya go.

I am a bluetooth iem wireless fanatic.  I have tested out these "audiophile" models and here's what I can report: All tested with comply t-isolation tips and iaudiogate (which I have found to be better than relisten, Onkyo, Kaisertone, Canoper, Neutron, NE, all those players) .  Note: None of these should be used for sports.  Get a pair of dull jaybirds for your workout.

1.  Byerdynamic Byron-BTA
     Just opened an hour ago and what a major disappointment.  Very bassy but recessed in mids and highs.  There is no distortion even at high volume and they are the most comfortable of the bunch.  If these were $100 cheaper they would be considered pretty good.  Unless these need some serious burn in, they sound veiled and cloudy with meh instrument separation.  Again bass is great but a set of beats tour got these beat in the upper regions.  That is so said Byerdynamic.  Sending right back to Amazon.

2.  B&O Play H5
On the the other end of the spectrum, we have the brighter than a light bulb.  Cymbals sound awesome.  Where is the bass?  It might be there in another room, but not up here.  If you took these and the BTAs and cross engineered them, then you would have a pretty good pair of buds.  These also are the loudest of the bunch. Some of you might like them but I say if you are going to be that bright and clear, have a great amount of instrument separation and detail to make me feel good.  I did not send them back as I like them for some folk and acoustic rock.  The priciest and most uncomfortable of the bunch.  Pretty pricey for a niche backup pair.  Horrid battery life.

3. RBH EP-SB
God Bless you RBH.  I got these two years ago and if we are talking about sound, I dare say these sound better than the Sennheiser Momentum Wireless 2 that everybody poops their pants about.  The instrument separation on these and detail retrieval on these pups are UNMATCHED by any other bud, headset, anything I own or have ever tested.  The sound that comes out of these is truly amazing.  I hear people complain about bluetooth quality, but these are magical.  I don't know why more people do not have them.  $110-$150 depending on where you buy, I have been trying to find a better pair, and I simply cannot.  I won't stop searching though.  So the negatives are: wish it got a little louder.  This has been a problem in a lot of bluetooth I own.  Also build quality.  They dont have a ton of bass, a liitle more would have been perfect, but I really do find it is enough. I have gone through a couple of pair but I am hard on my gear and RBH has replaced them free every time!   That's it.  Super comfy. Love them.

4. Nuforce BE6
If I never heard the RBH, these would be go to.  I kept them just in case my EPSBs go on the fritz and I need something right away.  Similar sound signature.  Maybe a tad louder.  Great detail, but not as detailed as RBH.  More bass but not a lot of bass by any means.  Close runner up, but not the winner.

Oct 7, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #75 of 170
1.  Byerdynamic Byron-BTA
     Just opened an hour ago and what a major disappointment.  Very bassy but recessed in mids and highs.  There is no distortion even at high volume and they are the most comfortable of the bunch.  If these were $100 cheaper they would be considered pretty good.  Unless these need some serious burn in, they sound veiled and cloudy with meh instrument separation.  Again bass is great but a set of beats tour got these beat in the upper regions.  That is so said Byerdynamic.  Sending right back to Amazon.

The Byron BT is $100 less and it uses the same drivers. Finally someone who recognizes the bass emphasis on these, I have the BT model and they are pretty bassy but nowhere near as bad as some bass head iems. From first impressions I was disappointed in the soundstage/instrument separation. But after using them for a while, they actually have a pretty good instrument separation which is why I haven't ditched them. Probably going to pick up a RBH EP-SB one day to compare

Users who are viewing this thread

Back