The Beyerdynamic Byron Series (IFA 2016)
Sep 16, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #46 of 170
The cable is around 6 inches. All together it's around 10 inches long. About 2.5 inches for the cradle, 6 inches for the cable, and 1.5 inch for the USB.

Thank you for the very useful reply. It looks like the cable is small enough to be put in a bag for travel — hopefully they'll sell replacement cradles, since it's proprietary.

Sep 18, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #48 of 170
Received mine, first impressions are disappointment in build quality. The eartips don't go in the earpieces easily and require a lot more effort than normally required, the earpiece grill ripped out when gently removing the eartip.
I should have known from reading the website's emphasis on talking about the bass, but as expected, these are definitely bass emphasized. The bass is not muddy at all but it doesn't have the tightness of my akgs. There is more bass than my ksc75s but not to the point where acoustic music sounds very bassy.
Mids sound fairly neutral from what I am hearing, but some male vocals sound compressed, which I can assume is coming from the Bluetooth compression.
Upper mids have an emphasis which sounds great for female vocals and electric guitar.
Treble is a little rolled off but these are not lacking in clarity though.

Soundstage is iem sized as expected, less than my ksc75s, but the instrument separation is fairly good so nothing sounds congested at all. So far, I'd rate them a step lower than my ksc75 but more enoyable in the treble region and upper mids.

Sep 18, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #49 of 170
Received mine, first impressions are disappointment in build quality. The eartips don't go in the earpieces easily and require a lot more effort than normally required, the earpiece grill ripped out when gently removing the eartip.
I should have known from reading the website's emphasis on talking about the bass, but as expected, these are definitely bass emphasized. The bass is not muddy at all but it doesn't have the tightness of my akgs. There is more bass than my ksc75s but not to the point where acoustic music sounds very bassy.
Mids sound fairly neutral from what I am hearing, but some male vocals sound compressed, which I can assume is coming from the Bluetooth compression.
Upper mids have an emphasis which sounds great for female vocals and electric guitar.
Treble is a little rolled off but these are not lacking in clarity though.

Soundstage is iem sized as expected, less than my ksc75s, but the instrument separation is fairly good so nothing sounds congested at all. So far, I'd rate them a step lower than my ksc75 but more enoyable in the treble region and upper mids.

are this references made with an apt-x device?

Sep 19, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #52 of 170
Have some ordered, should get in a couple days. I got the BT model despite intended use with iPhone 5S... mainly due to lower price and I didn't want a proprietary cradle. Don't really have anything to compare them to, but hoping they are decent.

Sep 20, 2016 at 4:29 AM Post #53 of 170
So far i'm fine the build quality, the tips yes they are quite different with conventional type and the grill so far is fine for me as well.

SQ wise, i personally don't recommend you compare directly with same price wire product, there are still draw back in term of SQ due to compression but i heard using APTX device will boost the SQ even further.

I only compare with same price range bluetooth product and Byron has the edge.

Sep 20, 2016 at 5:38 AM Post #54 of 170
So far i'm fine the build quality, the tips yes they are quite different with conventional type and the grill so far is fine for me as well.

SQ wise, i personally don't recommend you compare directly with same price wire product, there are still draw back in term of SQ due to compression but i heard using APTX device will boost the SQ even further.

I only compare with same price range bluetooth product and Byron has the edge.

The Byron is actually my first wireless audio product, so that's the only thing I can compare them to. I know that Qualcomm snapdragon devices support aptx natively (as aptx is Qualcomm tech) but I do not know up to which SoCs support them.

Sep 20, 2016 at 5:58 AM Post #55 of 170
So after digging through several articles to clear up the confusion, it turns out:
1. Aptx is still based on Bluetooth, so if your device supports Bluetooth 4.0, then you are still limited to the bandwidth of Bluetooth 4.0. Pretty much any snapdragon android device from 2013 and onward will support it
2. Aptx replaces the default SBC codec for apparently better and lesser compressed audio
3. Aptx HD is the new tech that apparently is able to transfer up to 24 bit music at near lossless quality. None of the devices that I know of currently support this.

So yes, All my listening has been through Bluetooth 4.0 using the aptx codec, but it is not the newly announced aptx HD

Sep 20, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #57 of 170
So after digging through several articles to clear up the confusion, it turns out:
1. Aptx is still based on Bluetooth, so if your device supports Bluetooth 4.0, then you are still limited to the bandwidth of Bluetooth 4.0. Pretty much any snapdragon android device from 2013 and onward will support it
2. Aptx replaces the default SBC codec for apparently better and lesser compressed audio
3. Aptx HD is the new tech that apparently is able to transfer up to 24 bit music at near lossless quality. None of the devices that I know of currently support this.

So yes, All my listening has been through Bluetooth 4.0 using the aptx codec, but it is not the newly announced aptx HD

you should check thoroughly, as for example the entire nexus line up has historically not supported aptx codec.

Sep 20, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #58 of 170
you should check thoroughly, as for example the entire nexus line up has historically not supported aptx codec.

The SoC itself within each nexus device has the support for it. I am guessing it is just missing the drivers along with the other features nexus devices just don't have for the sake of not having (like mhl). Pretty much any device with a snapdragon 600 or newer is capable, but I have seen my specific devices with the support listed so I know I have used my Bluetooth over the aptx codec. Gsmarena seems to list this spec within each device page

Sep 21, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #60 of 170
I'm using my old Samsung Note 3 for this model since i use it majority outdoorm i'm interested how it performs in high end player such as AK380

BT on the AK players is notoriously useless. I've owned both the AK240 and the AK120 II, neither of which could hold a stable connection over a distance of 1 meter (3ft), even with line of sight. Those all-metal enclosures will pretty much kill the signal completely.

Can anyone comment on the microphone quality? Is it good enough to have a phone conversation with?

Really interested in this as well! I'm pretty well covered when it comes to iems for super high quality playback, so I'm looking at the Byron as a way to get decent sound on the go, including the occasional phone call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back