The better outboard DACs
Mar 14, 2007 at 4:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

jmmtn4aj

Headphoneus Supremus
So I recently sold my 0404 with intention to buy a 1212m but recently found myself in a decision-ditch. Using a soundblaster live! while I saved up for the 1212m, I realised how much better counter-strike source sounded with even it's really primitive hardware EAX capabilities, and I don't think I can go back to the ingame sound of the EMU line, not to mention the extra CPU cycles needed when the EMU is used in games. So I started thinking, what about an X-Fi to a good cheap DAC? It keeps the chain simple at a low price (I can get the X-Fi XM for ~65).

ATM I'm thinking about the Entech 205.2 and the EB01 from Silverstone. Do either of them even compare to the 1212m? I've considered X-Fi - 1212m of course, but someone that whole running two soundcards together thing gets me worried, what with hardware conflicts, two drivers and control panels running simultaneously, etc.

Recommendations and suggestions people? Above anything I'm looking for neutrality. Nothing irks the OCD in me more than the thought of having to compensate for the source having too much bass, too much treble, recessed mids and other what-have-yous
tongue.gif

Mar 15, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #2 of 2
The DACs you mentioned probably won't give much improvement over the stock X-Fi Cirrus DACs. Just buy a X-Fi now and save up for a really good DAC later. You'll probably be quite happy with the sound quality, and the hardware can't be beat for gaming purposes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back