The best woodwork you will ever see!!
Jun 11, 2009 at 9:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

scootermafia

MOT: Double Helix Cables
So, when I went back to the family house in Montana for a vacation, I discovered that the best woodworkers I've ever met work a few miles from my house. They have a shop with a whole bunch of neat stuff in it. Everything is very cheap.

Edit: if you read their site...they don't do those elaborate patterns with laser cutting or anything like that, it's all done with power tools...

Handcrafted Montana Woodwork - wooden cutting boards - cribbage boards - letter openers - bookmarks - variey of wooden inlays - beautiful : Wooden Images - powered by Goomzee
They sell the smaller boxes online and a very large and intricate box as well that is considerably more expensive, as well as a few other little things on the site.

I got a box (very big and only $90, it was half the price of a lot of the similar boxes but the guy just threw that price out at me and I was very happy with it) as well as a pencil cup ($20!) - the box would be for some of my spare headphone cables or really anything, and the cup for hand tools.
The box and cup appear to have at least 7 different woods with some really elaborate joinery - I've never seen this sort of woodworking done before, let alone for this price.
I'm talking with the head guy about him making me a headphone stand, he wants a stand for himself so he's probably going to do a few.

box2.jpg

box7.jpg

Might add a few more pix later.

See if you can beat this, these guys are very talented.

Jun 12, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #2 of 22
Nice find. Very... geometric.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #5 of 22
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, got no idea what their wood guy has in store for me.

Kind of like a kaleidoscope...

I guess the only downside is that you can't see the full grain of the wood all the way unfolded, but I do like the effect you get from the many colors of wood...I think the guy at the shop does some bigger scale projects and these boxes are just his way of showing off. If I were him, I'd do some full size furniture...

Jun 12, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #6 of 22
My Dad has done some pieces similar to that. He used quilting patterns to design them from. He has lots more patience than I do! I've also seen some inlaid floor designs that are quite amazing. Woud like to have a house with an entryway big enough to have a big inlaid design as you walk in! Will be interested to see what he comes up with for your headphone stand - should be stunning.

Jun 12, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #9 of 22
not at all my taste, but impressive all the same

Jun 12, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not at all my taste, but impressive all the same

x2

I know it's much more expensive, but I love people that seek out incredible pieces of timber and then finish them in a way that gets out of the way of their beauty. In my trade I get to see some of the most amazing cuts of maple on the planet.

Jun 12, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #13 of 22
Yeah, they have them in many, many color patterns as you can imagine. I think a geometric quilting pattern must be what they use, there's no room for mistakes there.

Small Grados might fit in the box, they have a few larger ones although price goes up hardcore when you get the big ones. The little 5x5x3 ones sold on the website are cute, you can put your LODs and mini cables and mp3 players in them...very intricate design too. If you're ever in Missoula, MT the store's right on Broadway street.

I'll bump this thread when the dude gets back to me on the headphone stand, he said he'd make a few for me, him, and maybe a few other people...they will be ridiculous for sure, but he's a busy man doing lots of projects (him and his brother run the store) so we'll see how it goes. I really want a Whiplash stand and they are beautiful too, but after seeing this guy's store I want to see what he is capable of, and his prices are crazy low.

Jun 12, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #14 of 22
That looks amazing.

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #15 of 22
Let us know about the stands, and see if he could fashion some Grado wood cups too- I would ABSOLUTELY rock wooden cups with a similar design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back