The best way to rotate a picture
Aug 20, 2005 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Thrasher

500+ Head-Fier
How do you guys rotate JPEG images from your digital camera so they don't lose quality. I tried ACDSee 4.0, but while the original image was 2 MB, the rotated only like 400 kB, so there must have been a loss in quality. I don't plan on rotating the images in Photoshop and saving them as lossless TIFF, I prefer to keep the original JPEG, just rotated exactly, pixel by pixel. Is that possible?

Aug 20, 2005 at 1:05 AM Post #2 of 10
What you should do is open the JPG through Photoshop.

Image > Rotate Canvas > Rotate it so that its how you want it > then just exit Photoshop, when it prompts you to save changes push yes and it shouldn't give you any trouble about size.

Aug 20, 2005 at 1:13 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrasher
How do you guys rotate JPEG images from your digital camera so they don't lose quality. I tried ACDSee 4.0, but while the original image was 2 MB, the rotated only like 400 kB, so there must have been a loss in quality. I don't plan on rotating the images in Photoshop and saving them as lossless TIFF, I prefer to keep the original JPEG, just rotated exactly, pixel by pixel. Is that possible?

sure print the pic out and turn the paper over...lol lol fool you man!!!!!!!

come on laugh!

Aug 20, 2005 at 1:15 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
sure print the pic out and turn the paper over...lol lol fool you man!!!!!!!

come on laugh!

Hey....I laughed!
rs1smile.gif

Aug 20, 2005 at 2:00 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrasher

It should be. Either:

(a) Use Photoshop to rotate the image but do not save the file with File / Save (Ctrl-S), use File / Save As instead and select a lower compression ratio.

File / Save defaults the compression ratio to the one used to open the file originally, but Photoshop's compression engine is probably more efficient than the camera's. Most camera compression engines have to balance speed and quality, while Photoshop's only has to aim for quality. It simply might be operating more efficiently on the file, but by using File / Save As (same file name, overwrite file) you can choose the ratio yourself.

(b) Use Windows XP's file rotate, available on a right-mouse click context menu ONLY when you are in Thumbnails or Filmstrip view mode inside a directory view window (Explorer window). It's rotation seems to keep the file size almost exact - losing only 0.1K during rotation when I just tried it for size modifications a few moments ago.

Aug 20, 2005 at 5:00 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by shiggins
Paint Shop Pro 9 has a lossless JPEG image rotate.

Irfanview, which is free, also has lossless jpeg rotation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back