The best way to really enjoy flac tracks
May 2, 2010 at 9:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

TommyNavara

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there.
I have a pc with realtek inside (Asus P5K SE) and a pair of koss UR-40.
I'm thinking about an external-USB dac (Under $200) to really improve the sound quality.
In the furure i want to use the dac with other headphones... (maybe better) and high end speakers.

Best regards.

May 2, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #2 of 16
Do you have an specific amp you want to feed, or do you need a DAC/Amp combo unit?

May 2, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #3 of 16
Without a doubt some 5K bookshelf speakers will sound amazing with FLAC. Jeez be careful when you say high end
wink.gif

May 2, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #4 of 16
Welcome to Head-Fi!
smily_headphones1.gif

You will find lots of information about USB DACs around here - just search, read and enjoy.

May 2, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #5 of 16
I don't know but...
i just can't decide what DAC put with my headphones...even if i search the forums
biggrin.gif

But... i really need an external USB dac?
Or my soundcard is enough?

May 3, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #6 of 16
I'd advise an external DAC, unless you have something like the Asus Xonar sound card or an equal quality/spec product. The uDAC (also an amp) at $99 has gotten a lot of praise around here.

May 4, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #7 of 16
I'm fairly certain you can make an AMB gamma1 for that price, probably a gamma2 if you forgo some things. The best part is: you just add stuff to your build until it breaks your budget, then take the last bit off and order it.

I don't know what your DIY skills are.

May 4, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #8 of 16
This motherboard (Asus P5K SE) has HD audio with a coax SPDIF output. Koss UR-40 actually costs $40. Do your homework! Why would OP need a USB DAC or even a headphone amp?

May 4, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #9 of 16
Someone wants me to buy the DAC, someone not...
Well u think my headphones are cheap and don't need an external DAC because i have the spdif out?
I just want to buy the dac to invest for my futures headphones/speakers...
i'm little confused...

The noob question:
My 3,5 TRS jack doesn't seem to work in the SPDIF hole...
maybe there's some adactors/cable....???
smily_headphones1.gif

May 4, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #10 of 16
i'm gonna recommend the maverick audio tube magic d1 DAC/amp combo, as it is within your budget. even though it is my first real desktop DAC and headphone amp, i just got mine and i am very impressed. it really makes my headphones sing. it has coax, optical, and USB inputs, so it is pretty flexible to whatever sound card you have. i prefer to not use the USB though so i can still manage sound card effects. it has stereo and headphone outputs.

that said, i have heard the uDAC before, and it is a good product, but it can't really beat a decent desktop DAC, unless you need the portability for use with a laptop, for example.

now you say you want the unit to be able to eventually drive high-end speakers, and probably at $200 you are probably limited to self-powered speakers here, but the mav tube magic d1 should be able to handle them well. although if you go actual high-end, i think you would need to upgrade your DAC again. also keep in mind that you would need another separate amp to drive better speakers. the nice thing about the tube magic though is you can use it as a pre-amp if you eventually do get another amp. personally, i am happy with self-powered speakers through the tube magic. it sounds good enough for my bedroom at least, until i get a dedicated sound room.

as far as alternatives in your price range, i hear the zero DAC is good, and audio GD makes good DACs too. g'luck!

May 5, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #11 of 16
I believe your motherboard has the realtek alc883 codec. This is the same codec I have in my Abit NView motherboard. My motherboard outputs bit-perfect data to my dac via the optical out. I'm pointing this out to let you know that you may not need a USB dac. Maybe an spdif dac will suffice. You could alwauys add something like a usb->Spdif converter later if you want. If you go this option you could try some older (less expensive) dacs in your system.

You need a digital coax cable to go from the coax output on your motherboard to a piece of equipment that can turn that digital signal into an analog signal that can then be heard on headphones or speakers. (for example...a DAC or a Reciever). Do some more reading, and good luck.

May 6, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #12 of 16
Thanks to all.
I don't need the USB dac.
I just need spdif DAC.
What about this?
http://www.ciaudio.com/vda1.html
But even in this product i can't see the TRS output.... : D

Any other suggestion?

May 6, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #13 of 16
That's JUST a DAC.  You can't plug headphones into that.  You'd best be looking for a DAC/Amp combo unit.  The Zero and Audio-GD Sparrow both fit that list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back