The "best" way to convert DSF to FLAC?
Dec 28, 2022 at 4:53 AM Post #16 of 30
Unfortunately, the measurement results show that the Poiksoft is not a particularly high-quality SRC.
Very unfortunate that DBPowerAmp does not allow a setting so that the volume is not reduced...

Dec 28, 2022 at 4:56 AM Post #17 of 30
Nice to hear. Another one is Adobe Audition

Dec 28, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #18 of 30
Unfortunately, Audition does not support DSF files. I'll probably put the converting on hold.

I wrote to the developers of dbpoweramp.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #19 of 30
Use command-line ffmpeg. Converts pretty much anything to anything else.

I have verified that it's bitperfect back and forth between PCM (WAV) and FLAC.

Dec 28, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #20 of 30
A GUI for this is SONORE's DSD2FLAC (sorry just flashed in my mind)
https://www.sonore.us/dsd2flac.html

And forgot to add another program that does DSD to FLAC/WAV -> Korg Audiogate

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 8:19 AM Post #21 of 30
Dec 28, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #22 of 30
Korg Audiogate works perfectly

20221228_163908.jpg

Dec 30, 2022 at 7:29 AM Post #23 of 30
Unfortunately, the measurement results show that the Poiksoft is not a particularly high-quality SRC.
Very unfortunate that DBPowerAmp does not allow a setting so that the volume is not reduced...
Someone from the ASR brought the solution.

Quote:
"The standard for SACD, the scarlet book, defines 0 dB reference level, i.e., 0 dB SACD, to be half of the theoretical maximum, so that's -6 dBFS for PCM. It also defines peak level to +3.1 dB SACD. This doesn't mean that the limit is always followed in real life and there are albums that exceed it. The safest way seems to be convert with the headroom and normalize afterward."

Now I begin to understand.
When I listen to both files in Neutron player, the file converted to PCM with Korg Audiogate is about 6 dB louder than the DSF original.
If I convert with DBPowerAmp, the files are equally loud, and are displayed with Musicscope about 6 dB different loud.

20221226_192207.jpg

Dec 30, 2022 at 7:30 AM Post #24 of 30
Aug 5, 2023 at 3:45 AM Post #27 of 30
Other converters to try
HQPlayer Pro
PGGB (library is about 1.5gb download -> Matlab)

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #28 of 30
Hi all - is there an accepted "best" way to convert DSF files to FLAC?

I understand that it is a lossy process, but I'm curious what the best options to choose are.

I'm on Ubuntu Linux, and I compiled dsf2flac, which offers a bunch of helpful options:

-r, --samplerate=Hz Output sample rate (possible values="88200",
"176400", "352800" default=`88200')
-b, --bits=bits Output bitdepth (possible values="16", "20",
"24" default=`24')
-n, --nodither Don't add dither before quantization (default=off)
-s, --scale=dB Scale adjustment. Raw DSD has a modulation depth of
approximately 0.5 so with no scaling the PCM peak
level is approximately -6dB below 0dBFs
(default=`4')
-d, --dop Encode DSD data directly into FLAC file without
conversion to PCM using DoP format (DSD over PCM)
(default=off)

What's the best sample rate? Bit depth? Dithering is ok?
Generally, converting DSF to FLAC is a bit less quality impacting than the other way around. But if possible, HQPlayer Pro would likely be the ideal option. That's also what sites like NativeDSD use and at the moment it has the highest performance DSD modulators of any tool available.

The pro variant ain't cheap unfortunately though as it's mostly aimed at mastering/production companies etc rather than individuals.

EDIT: Turns out PGGB can actually convert DSD to PCM, so I'd recommend using that

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #29 of 30
Other converters to try
HQPlayer Pro
PGGB (library is about 10gb download -> Matlab)
PGGB is the highest performance PCM resampling tool available currently, but no DSD support unfortunately. (At least not output, PGGB dev said he thought about it but wasn't able to exceed the HQP modulator performance so he didn't include it).

RASA does support DSD file input though so maybe PGGB will too, not sure

EDIT: PGGB Dev has confirmed that PGGB can indeed convert DSD to PCM! So I'd do that :D

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2023 at 3:41 AM Post #30 of 30
@GoldenOne

Goodthing they have upgraded. Just converted a DSD256 file to WAV 32/706 on default settings (Sample Rate: 705/768, Depth: 32, Noise Shaping: Auto/Optimal, Precision: 256, Gain: Auto/0, Filter: Automatic/Fixed-Minimal)). But sooo slow...took 5hrs 56min on a i7-12700 w/ RTX A2000 12Gb (need an upgrade). Will leave attachments for comparison:
Libertango by Trio De Curda 2xHD DSD256 (original file)
Libertango by Trio De Curda 2xHD 32/706 WAV (PGGB converted)

On my end. Have done away on this endeavor and have a dedicated upsampler/converter instead. Takes away the chores on your PC. Mine is Audiobyte's Hydra.Hub (part of a 3 stack setup Hub+Dac+LPS).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back