The best source for under $800
Dec 30, 2004 at 3:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

HVK

100+ Head-Fier
Just picked up the MF X-Can V3. But I need input on what would work best with my Sen 600's for around $800. I listen to classical and jazz if that's of any help. I know I'm asking allot as there are tons out there but any help would be great. The new MF X-Ray sounded great but is just a little out of my price range. The NAD 542 series seems to have been getting some great reviews?? HELP!! Cheers.

Dec 30, 2004 at 3:39 AM Post #2 of 19
Like I just posted in another thread, I am going for the Denon 2910 at $649. It reportedly does Redbook well and also decodes HDCD. And also does SACD and DVD-A. And if you have to use it for double duty as a video player, it does very well in that department too. It also decodes HiDef. video signals also, if your TV is HiDef. ready.
icon10.gif
tongue.gif
rolleyes.gif

Dec 30, 2004 at 3:44 AM Post #3 of 19
I just plan to use it in a dedicated listening station so it won't be used for anything other than pure audio. SACD and DVDA would be a nice bonus but for under a K it's tough it seems?? Thanks

Dec 30, 2004 at 9:53 AM Post #4 of 19
Try the following:

Rega Planet 2000
Musical Fidelity A3
Rotel 991

All of the above can be had for around $500 on the used market.

Dec 30, 2004 at 1:49 PM Post #6 of 19
I'll second the Arcam, I chose that over the Planet 2K in a side by side comparison.

But for $770 delivered, if they still have it, check out the Eastern Electric Minimax from Morningstar Audio Imports. Do a search on Audiogon. Bill is a great guy, and the player is VERY nice. Even has a headphone jack, that uses the tube stage in the player.

Dec 30, 2004 at 8:16 PM Post #7 of 19
I just spoke to Bill to place my order, and yes, the price is still set at $750 + shipping. You won't see a negative review of this player anywhere, and I know a few Head-Fiers who are quite impressed by the player. Its a vacuum tube player, too, so you are going to get sound that solid state players in this range simply cannot produce.

Dec 30, 2004 at 8:58 PM Post #8 of 19
let us know how you like the minimax when you get it

Jan 2, 2005 at 6:15 AM Post #9 of 19
Hmmmm..tubes in a CD player. Do you think coupled with the tubes of the V3 it'll some how off set? Can you have too many tubes?? Pardon my ignorance but I am still new to all this. HVK

Jan 2, 2005 at 8:42 AM Post #10 of 19
There is no such thing as "too many tubes". You have as many or as few tubes as the design demands. No more and no less. Tubes are a means to an end, not an end in and of itself.

Jan 2, 2005 at 8:49 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by patman657
I just spoke to Bill to place my order, and yes, the price is still set at $750 + shipping. You won't see a negative review of this player anywhere, and I know a few Head-Fiers who are quite impressed by the player. Its a vacuum tube player, too, so you are going to get sound that solid state players in this range simply cannot produce.

I own an Sound Odyssey L3 modded Music Hall CD-25; for around $1k I have a source that begins to approach my Meridian G08. No crap. The SO L3 MH CD-25 possesses, IMO, superior sound to the Minimax, which I've A/B'ed with the L3 MH... found that I preferred the MH to it by a sizeable margin... again, IMO- if the Minimax is your thing, obviously nothing's going to beat it... for YOU. Many on these forums and elsewhere, some without actually hearing and analyzing the various differences between good SS and tube sources, amps, and preamps for themselves, firsthand, become obsessed with the tired canard of 'tubes=best sound', in source, or anywhere else, pricewise as well. That's too bad.

Who's to imply that the only * audiophile * source is tube? Not you. Your preference, fine. But the inverse is true, as well... and just as valid...
icon10.gif

Jan 2, 2005 at 9:45 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by chumley
I own an Sound Odyssey L3 modded Music Hall CD-25; for around $1k I have a source that begins to approach my Meridian G08. No crap. The SO L3 MH CD-25 possesses, IMO, superior sound to the Minimax, which I've A/B'ed with the L3 MH... found that I preferred the MH to it by a sizeable margin... again, IMO- if the Minimax is your thing, obviously nothing's going to beat it... for YOU. Many on these forums and elsewhere, some without actually hearing and analyzing the various differences between good SS and tube sources, amps, and preamps for themselves, firsthand, become obsessed with the tired canard of 'tubes=best sound', in source, or anywhere else, pricewise as well. That's too bad.

Who's to imply that the only * audiophile * source is tube? Not you. Your preference, fine. But the inverse is true, as well... and just as valid...
icon10.gif

Actually, I had completely overlooked modded players to be honest. I think that the MiniMax will likely beat any stock sub-$800 player in terms of overall sound quality. It might not (I haven't listened to any others) so feel free to discount my opinion completely. The one think I do know is I have never read anything less than a glowing review about the MiniMax, although I am sure your level 3 CD-25 in many peoples' eyes equals or surpasses a stock MiniMax's sound. However, it is out of his price range (even if only by a couple hundred dollars). Generally speaking, the MiniMax most likely beats out the majority of sub-$800 players, especially since I have seen three people claim that it sounds even better than a level 1 modded Jolida (once properly tuberolled), which costs over $1K (the MiniMax itself used to cost $1350). I can, however, see how some people may prefer the sound of SS over tubes, so the best thing to do (as always) is to audition your future purchase before you buy. I don't claim that tubes will always "beat" solid state, but I simply don't think that any stock (and most modded) SS players in the sub-$800 category are going to put up a good fight.

Jan 2, 2005 at 11:24 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by HVK
Hmmmm..tubes in a CD player. Do you think coupled with the tubes of the V3 it'll some how off set? Can you have too many tubes?? Pardon my ignorance but I am still new to all this. HVK

The tubes in the MiniMax do lend a warmth and smoothness but so far I'm not finding it to be an overly "tubey" sounding player.

Too many tubes? Well yes it's possible but I don't think you could generalize that a tube CD player and tube amp will equal too many tubes. To me it comes down to system matching and personal preference. I know of people that have had great success matching a tube CD player paired with tube amplification. I've used the MiniMax with the PPX3 and it's a nice pairing. Will you find the MF X-Can too tubey? That would be a personal preference but I doubt it. You might find that the MF X-Can becomes redundant though, because the internal headphone amp of the MiniMax is of decent quality itself but again, that would come down to personal preference.

Jan 2, 2005 at 6:07 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by patman657
Actually, I had completely overlooked modded players to be honest. I think that the MiniMax will likely beat any stock sub-$800 player in terms of overall sound quality. It might not (I haven't listened to any others) so feel free to discount my opinion completely. The one think I do know is I have never read anything less than a glowing review about the MiniMax, although I am sure your level 3 CD-25 in many peoples' eyes equals or surpasses a stock MiniMax's sound. However, it is out of his price range (even if only by a couple hundred dollars). Generally speaking, the MiniMax most likely beats out the majority of sub-$800 players, especially since I have seen three people claim that it sounds even better than a level 1 modded Jolida (once properly tuberolled), which costs over $1K (the MiniMax itself used to cost $1350). I can, however, see how some people may prefer the sound of SS over tubes, so the best thing to do (as always) is to audition your future purchase before you buy. I don't claim that tubes will always "beat" solid state, but I simply don't think that any stock (and most modded) SS players in the sub-$800 category are going to put up a good fight.

Agreed, and well put.
icon10.gif

Jan 2, 2005 at 10:05 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by HVK
Just picked up the MF X-Can V3.... .

Hi congratulations on your purchase!

I'm thinking about getting a x-can for myself, but I would like to know opinions about it.
So if it's not asking too much, what is your oppinion on the x-can?

thanks

MAsantos

Users who are viewing this thread

Back