The Best Sounding Rockboxed Player
Apr 15, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #16 of 29
Hmm... just a thought. I use Unsynched on my bb 9000 right now, and it plays .wav just fine. Hopefully they'll include .flac support in the future so I wont have to convert all my music
tongue.gif
. And I'll check into that Dollars5 player.

Apr 24, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #19 of 29
Can I vote for gigabeat F series?

Apr 26, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by faichiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can I vote for gigabeat F series?

Can you please tell us why do you think that Gigabeat F series sound better then Sandisk Sansa Fuze Rockboxed V1.I am not talking here about V2 becouse the RB is not stable.
So let's hear you opinion..
atsmile.gif

Apr 28, 2010 at 4:39 AM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicday /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you please tell us why do you think that Gigabeat F series sound better then Sandisk Sansa Fuze Rockboxed V1.I am not talking here about V2 becouse the RB is not stable.
So let's hear you opinion..
atsmile.gif

I can't speak for the Fuze v1, but I used to have a RB'd Gigabeat F and it really stood out above all the other players I've owned (even my S9, albeit just barely). I guess the closest thing I have to the Fuze v1 is my RB'd Clip v1, and I still think the F-series beats it.

Apr 28, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #23 of 29
I have owned a v1 Fuze before rockbox was available for it, and own a 5.5G and an iriver H320.

I have never gotten the fuss about the Fuze, to me it sounds muffled and obscures a lot of detail, it is very warm though but detail is the price you pay for that. The H320 and 5.5G are very similar in that they both have good detail resolution with the edge going to the 5.5G. I would say the 5.5G also has a slightly larger soundstage. The H320 is considerably warmer though, but without sacrificing detail in the same way the Fuze does.

I would imagine rockbox on the Fuze would not change this dramatically, although it would allow you to tweak the sound signature to your liking.

Regarding the Gigabeat, I remember vaguely reading that it was the player best able to handle AAC given the higher CPU grunt that it requires.

Apr 28, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSky0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have never gotten the fuss about the Fuze, to me it sounds muffled and obscures a lot of detail, it is very warm though but detail is the price you pay for that.

Rockbox changes everything. The out-the-box sound turns cold and brittle, with tightness in the bass once you find it.

Apr 29, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #25 of 29
I will have to give it a try then. I gifted it to my dad, but I'll see if I can borrow it to give it another shot and wow holy **** your IEM list is impressive!

May 1, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #26 of 29
Okay so tried rockbox on Fuze.

I was probably biased the first time around since the lack of sub-bass and customization options really put me off, and the fact it does seem to have a sizeable midbass hump (which I've now removed) probably muffled a fair bit of detail in the original firmware. EDIT - Yep, feels like a huge difference when I dip 600Hz.

Honestly I think it sounds great, but it's just that it's the warmer alternative of the 5.5G. I think it still falls short in detail (not by a great deal at all) but on the other hand, nothing sounds harsh, even on my ER4Ps. So it's basically the same tradeoff that pretty much every headphone has. I can certainly see people liking one or the other better.

Another noticeable difference is the Fuze's soundstage seems pressed tightly against you whereas the 5.5Gs seems more distant. This gives the Fuze a more enveloping sound, producing a larger soundstage. On the other hand I think the fact that it feels relatively closer makes it more difficult to position instruments. Rather than it being relatively pinpoint, it sounds like it's coming from a reasonably large area. Again, there are certainly pros and cons to either. I tend to prefer better accuracy and more detail over the cons, but maybe I'm just used to it.

May 3, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #28 of 29
I say the iriver h100 and h300 series are the best I've tried. Though, the headphone out hisses more than all my other players. I normally use them with an amp or less sensitive earphones, so hiss isn't a huge problem.

I wouldn't choose the D2 ever, because of its bass rolloff problem. If a player can't even have a linear frequency response, I won't even consider it.

May 5, 2010 at 8:27 AM Post #29 of 29
I'm a happy owner of a Rockboxed Fuze V1. Anyway I don't think that SQ difference between original firmware and rockbox is night and day. What I really noticed is that rockbox equalizer is much better than the one of the original firmware (at least the versions I used 6 months away).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back