The BEST sounding electrolytic caps? (after Blackgates)
Jan 24, 2009 at 12:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Bosk

1000+ Head-Fier
Now that Blackgates are no longer readily available, what gets your vote as the #1 sounding Electrolytic capacitors available for use in electronics? (not crossovers)

Jan 24, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #2 of 25
I have a limited experience in DIY, but I like the Elna Cerafines which I have used in a couple of builds, once swapping them in place of Muse KZ. They are no longer manufactured, but can usually be found for less than Blackgates. The Elna Silmic II RFS are their successors and are available from Digikey and many others.

Jan 24, 2009 at 12:21 PM Post #3 of 25
I like silmics - quite smooth. bypassed with small obligatos they sound lovely as a cathode bypass in a valve amp.

Jan 24, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Blackgates are good, but Nichicon Muse's are better sounding, generally.

Yeah, sure. I can say, I have never heard a good sounding Nichicon.

To the OP - Elna Tonerex.

Jan 24, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #6 of 25
Once again, Majkel, your hearing preferences seem directly opposite most everyone else's.
wink.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

I prefer the Nichicon Muse's myself - even over Black Gates in certain scenarios. Black Gates are highly detailed but they never lose a certain bit of "fuzziness", IMHO. Nichicon Muse are much more transparent.

Jan 24, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Once again, Majkel, your hearing preferences seem directly opposite most everyone else's.
wink.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

I tend to disagree. Majkel's been spot on when he describes the sound of opamps. I also think he could be right regarding the use of TLE2426 as rail splitter. I've done some experiments, but it's too early for me to speak out my findings. Maybe it's not so transparent in this position as we like to think.

I have no experience from capacitor sound except for standard WIMA film caps, BlackGate HiQ and Sanyo WX, so I'm following this thread with interest.

Jan 24, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by NelsonVandal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tend to disagree. Majkel's been spot on when he describes the sound of opamps. I also think he could be right regarding the use of TLE2426 as rail splitter. I've done some experiments, but it's too early for me to speak out my findings. Maybe it's not so transparent in this position as we like to think.

I have no experience from capacitor sound except for standard WIMA film caps, BlackGate HiQ and Sanyo WX, so I'm following this thread with interest.

Sure, we all have our opinions, but let's just say that when someone says they've "never heard a good sounding Nichicon," it tends to invalidate the rest of their statements.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back