The best Sound Isolation IEM's for not hearing the environment.
Apr 9, 2010 at 8:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

cougar_hook

New Head-Fier
YUP.

I don't care about sound quality or any other mumbo jumbo that doesn't help isolate sound.

My only goal in buying phones is to keep ALL environment sounds when I put on the phones.

I heard blocking out environment noise is measured like this, Noise Isolation -20dB or whatever like -30dB.

This is an example.

You see these Ultimate Ears phones?
They promise -26dB noise isolation.
Ultimate Ears SuperFi 3 Studio Specifications - Store - Ultimate Ears Earphones Headphones Personal Monitors

NOW

You see these Shure phones?
They promise -30dB to -37dB noise isolation.

Shure

Does this mean that I should buy the Shure because they can give me more sound isolation? Or can you tell me which phones out there give higher noise isolation

Remember, I only want to block out every single sound in my environment, like traffic, children crying, dad blasting the television sound, again DAD blasting the television sound while I try to study school work and or fall asleep listening to low music, again while DAD blasts the F'ing television sound.

Apr 9, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #3 of 9
Whatever you decide, you should invest in some foam tips, such as comply or the shure olives.
Improves comfort and isolation. Wearing Etymotic phones for a long time will irritate your ears.

Apr 9, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trysaeder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whatever you decide, you should invest in some foam tips, such as comply or the shure olives.
Improves comfort and isolation. Wearing Etymotic phones for a long time will irritate your ears.

If you take into consideration of comfort and isolation, I would second getting some good foamies. But in terms of sheer isolation, if you are not getting customs, then Etymotic's triple flange offers the best isolation i have experienced. Catch is, it inserts so deep into your ear, and some people dont like having something stuck deep in their ear. It's all about compromise. There are other options too, like remoulding IEM, or just get a custom mould with IEMs, usually that helps a lot.

Apr 9, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #6 of 9
Etymotic ER4 w/triple flanges or Olives. Doesn't get better than that short of perhaps going custom. If you want to spend less there's also the Er6i.

Apr 9, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #9 of 9
Ety4s with Comply foam tips, comfort plus isolation! The Shure olives may have a bit more isolation and durability but I didn't find them as comfortable for longer (1 hour +) use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back