the best sound ? audio X5 vs Sony HD5 Vs creative zen micro
Jul 22, 2005 at 8:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

shoeseal

New Head-Fier
i am too confused reading all good reviews about the sound quality of recent DAPs. For me, above all, sound quality is the most important thing, so please help me decide pick from these final candidates..

1) iAudio X5 (SNR 95db, headphone output 20mw each)

2) sony nd5 (I have no tech info, CNET says it has the best sound - I doubt CNet but I have used and been satisfied with Sony's sound before)

3) creative zen micro (SNR 98db, headphone output 7mw - I think)

(i have tried ipod mini with bose tripod, I was disappointed by the sound I got, so iPod is out of my list)

I am planning to get a ear canal headphone too, also here I am confused; the ones within my reach;

1) UE SuperFi 3 studio
2) Shure e2c

But, I am not sure if the extra money to get higher profile ones like

1) Shure e4c (I like this one), or
2) UE SuperFi 5eB

is really worth it.

I would appreciate your suggestion to pick the best player and headphone pair from the above list. Also, are there comparable options ?

- thanks

Jul 23, 2005 at 1:35 AM Post #2 of 10
I'm in the same situation as you. I'm doing research on what to buy next.

Sony HD5 or the Iaudio X5. I currently have the 20GB iPod. It lacks bass and the EQ is unuseable (distorts the sound). I really like the iPod interface and ease of use but thats about it.

Anyone own both the HD5 and X5 please post your comparison between these 2 units.

Thanks

Jul 23, 2005 at 8:30 AM Post #3 of 10
I love the sound on the Zen Micro paired up with my Shure E2C's. If you're good at tweaking the EQ, it sounds godlike.

Jul 23, 2005 at 12:34 PM Post #4 of 10
X5 and shure E4 is a great combo IMHO.
I have the pair for last few weeks , simply love it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 26, 2005 at 3:49 AM Post #5 of 10
umm.. I am still confused about the choices among players.. has anyone owned both Creative zen micro and iAudio X5, if yes, what has been the sound experience so far (with a good set of headphones) ?

the thing is zen micro has higher SNR than iAudio, but output power of iAudio seems higher -- I think, SNR would matter more than output power in terms of clarity but I'd also not like to be limited to a meager low volume. I have tried sony nd5, and it really had a low volume output, thats why I am not including it as an option. (I emailed sony, and they didn't give me info on either SNR/out-poer but said a codec is available to boost the volume)

so guys, please help me pick one of the two choices.. zen micro or X5 ??

Jul 26, 2005 at 5:19 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

the thing is zen micro has higher SNR than iAudio, but output power of iAudio seems higher

Unfortunately I haven't heard the players in question, so can't give you any advice on which sounds better. One thing I have learnt though is that manufacturers quoted SNR means virtually NOTHING, especially with respect to MP3 players. The fact that Creative claim an SNR of 98, versus 90 for iRiver and iPod and 95 for iAudio is completely meaningless and gives you ABSOLUTELY NO useful information about how good each player sounds.

Jul 26, 2005 at 1:02 PM Post #7 of 10
How about some deductive logic?

I own a Karma, and had a Zen Micro for about a week. Everything I've read around here is that people think that the X5 is at least as good as the Karma for sound quality. The Karma simply sounded better than the Zen Micro. That's using Shure E4C. The Zen Micro was good, and the EQ helped a lot. The longer I listened to the Micro, the better it sounded. But when I switched back, the Karma was a little better. Not a LOT better, but it just sounded smoother.

It seems like the Sony is supposed to be in the same neighborhood as the Karma & X5, but I can't remember for sure.

Jul 26, 2005 at 1:07 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by shoeseal
(i have tried ipod mini with bose tripod, I was disappointed by the sound I got, so iPod is out of my list)

You sure it was the player?

Jul 26, 2005 at 2:54 PM Post #9 of 10
I faced the same decision among these competing DAP's. I donated my former 3G iPod (10 GB) to my daughter and decided to replace it with the best technology that I could find. I already had Shure E4C canalphones and wanted a player that would drive them.

I research just about every DAP that is available including some that don't get much mention (e.g. Toshiba). I selected the iAudio X5L 30GB device, for the following reasons, and paid list price ($389 incl shipping) directly from COWON:
1) Outstanding sound quality and impressive EQ capabilities (BBE, Mach3Bass, MPEnhance, Surround, and a 5-Band Equalizer with presents AND custom user settings).
2) Reliability, durability, quality construction, and few firmware bugs (which cannot be said for many competitors, e.g. Rio Karma's notorious HW problems). The company, COWON, appears to be committed to continuous improvements.
3) 35 Hour battery life! Unmatched and unparalleled among DAP's.
4) No requirement for an iTunes or other software package although JetAudio is provided and has a very good reputation. I organize all my music into folders (by artist) and just copy them to the device as though it were just another hard drive (which is precisely what it is). For me, this process is FAST, EFFICIENT, and EASY. It also support ID3 tags which you can enable or disable.
5) 30GB drive which, with LAME 3.96 VBR 192 Kbps, will easily hold my collection of CD's and other recorded music.
6) I don't care about and didn't need text support, video playback, digital picture viewing, or an FM radio. For me, these features are bonuses! I tried the FM radio the other day and it was actually very good, although I live in the greater DC metro area which has lots of stations and decent reception.

After the unit arrived, I was pleasantly surprised at how small it is. I had read reports to the contrary, but the unit isn't really any larger than my previous iPod. I wouldn't use this type of hard-disk player when engaging in heavy exercise (bouncing/jumping/running, etc.); but, for all other sedentary listening, it is ideal.

Personally, I like the joystick that is provided as the navigation tool. It's easy to use, requires minimal movements to switch folders/menus, and the user interface is relatively simple and only takes a few minutes to learn the basics. If you have any computing skills at all, you will not find this system difficult to master in 15-30 minutes. In this case, I DO recommend reading the manual -- there are a few important tips that are MUST know (e.g. charge the battery before operating, don't utilize more than one connection at the same time, etc.)

The X5L is a fantastic device and I am totally enamored with it. The only disadvantages I have found, so far: (1) it doesn't come with a carrying case, and (2) the stock earphones are not high quality.

I found a small soft pouch laying around the house that I am using, temporarily, to carry the X5 (fits easily in a pocket) until I can settle on a permanent case that I want. I may just continue with this one since I can actually operate the on/off buttons and even the joystick from the outside, although I can't see the screen. Regarding canalphones, I have the E4C's which sound wonderful with only one minor adjustment to the X5L -- Mach3Bass = 4 (out of 10!). I have been experimenting with BBE, MPEnhance, and Surround settings, but have not made any final decisions yet as to preference.

I hope this helps with your deliberations...

KenB

Aug 7, 2005 at 11:45 AM Post #10 of 10
thanks all for suggestions.. finally I ordered iAudio X5 from amazon for 285$ and now I am at peace, well actually partially.. My hunt for headphones to match this performer is still going on.. finally lingering between e4c's (~185$) vs super.fi pro ($220).. got these prices, so far the lowest i have seen - including s&H + tax.. damn there was a sale on ebay for super.fi for 150$ .. missed it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back