The best SONY mid-price headphones?
Mar 11, 2004 at 8:24 AM Post #16 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by WmAx
Simply because a headphone(or speaker) is 'open' does not mean that it is immune to resonance(s). A correctly designed enclosure can yeild little to no appreciable resoance(s) that are/is destructive. However, the tranducer itself, as well as the materials the device is made of will/can hve their own resonance(s), open or not. Obviously, this is tougher to deal with in a closed design since more energy is contained in the structure, as opposed to an open design that allows a large percentage of the total acoustic power to be dispersed into open air. Once again, through careful engineering, these resoances can be shifted, damped, etc., in order to optimize either design(minimze audibility), open or closed. Logistics do declare that this will be more difficult and expensive in a closed design, as compared to an equivalent open design.

I am not sure I know what people mean by 'echo' or 'reverb' when they speak of headphones. I can only speculate. In a way, a severe resonance will resemble 'reverb' in that it's a slowly decaying signal, however it will be in (a) very narrow band(s). As far as echo, I am not sure what this refers too. At no time can i think of any instance where a sound could be identified as an echo inside of a headphone. Their is not adequate dealy time between any dimension. I belive this is typically a misidentification of a resonance, or in some cases, even the imagination, after reading some of teh comical stuff around here. :)

-Chris

i don't know, but with the cd3000s, i hear a "reverb" or whatever you want to call it on a much wider range of sounds than i would chalk up to simple resonance. i do, however, acknowledge that this is not due to their closed nature, as the 7506s have barely any of this "reverb" in comparison.

Mar 11, 2004 at 8:33 AM Post #17 of 46
Quote:

i don't know, but with the cd3000s, i hear a "reverb" or whatever you want to call it on a much wider range of sounds than i would chalk up to simple resonance. i do, however, acknowledge that this is not due to their closed nature, as the 7506s have barely any of this "reverb" in comparison.

It depends, really. The percieved reverb can be a simple result of a frequency response difference. If the primary percievable(audible) components to the reverb tail are at a higher amplitude on a specific tranducer at the realtive bandwidth compared to another, with a given recording, then more 'reverb', per say, would be 'heard' on the transducer that produced the higher amplitude of that band. Actually, I could concieve a situation(all else being equal) where more reverb could be percieved if just one device had less resonant problems in that specific band, if the reverb trail follows a quick transient, that may otherwise have the transition to revierb be obscured by a significant resonance in that band. So many variables...

-Chris

Mar 11, 2004 at 10:09 AM Post #18 of 46
Ok if you're wondering i'm the idiot who chose "other" :p

What would you define "Mid-price" as? cause if you want comfort then you should also consider the MDR-F1's, which you can get from www.audiocubes.com for US$199. if you look on ebay then you could score them for a low price of about $150.

If the price is too high or you need some isolation (which the F1's WON'T provide) disregard this post
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2004 at 10:54 AM Post #19 of 46
The 605 is really, really awful, don't go for that.
The 780 might be your cup of cake if you like the sound signature. It's imho a compromise between laid-back-ness of sennheiser and forwardness of Grado with sometimes a bit annoying highs (no big deal though) and bass without much "punch" and "slam".
I heard the CD580 is more analytical while the CD780 is more musical, or something like that.
You might also look at the MDR-F1 ... a very comfortable headphone and maybe even superior in terms of sound. I haven't heard it, though
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, btw, why do you limit yourself to Sony?

-Taurui

Mar 11, 2004 at 11:27 AM Post #20 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by mxs1030
The v6 will make your ear sweat, they are just about the tightest fitting circumaural headphones I have ever used ( meaning that your ear is literally in contact with everything inside the cup ).

The V6s have many virtues, but being circumaural is not one of them (unless, I suppose, if you have truly tiny ears.)

Mar 11, 2004 at 2:24 PM Post #21 of 46
Thanks. I really enjoy your posts. I learn a lot very quickly and you bring a brand new perspective to head-fi.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by WmAx
I am not sure I know what people mean by 'echo' or 'reverb' when they speak of headphones. I can only speculate. In a way, a severe resonance will resemble 'reverb' in that it's a slowly decaying signal, however it will be in (a) very narrow band(s). As far as echo, I am not sure what this refers too. At no time can i think of any instance where a sound could be identified as an echo inside of a headphone. Their is not adequate dealy time between any dimension. I belive this is typically a misidentification of a resonance, or in some cases, even the imagination, after reading some of the comical stuff around here. :)

-Chris

Mar 11, 2004 at 4:17 PM Post #22 of 46
I do agree that the V6 over long periods gets warm and make your ears sweat, but to my ears they are pretty confortable and they issolate pretty well, IMO the V6 are the best closed heaphones inside $100 price range.

Im very tempted to buy some CD780, they seem to be good according to many members here, but I have always like closed headphones more.

Mar 11, 2004 at 4:52 PM Post #25 of 46
Tuarui,

Quote:

I don't think you need the 780 when you already have the 3000

Thanks for your comment, I also wonder on that, but I want to test the same signature on open air heaphones. I havent like that much open in the past, due that I need decent issolation, but I do wonder how they change by its open design nature, and all the comment about being very confrotable. But I will reconsider and think it over again, I just wish I could just audition them once.

Mar 11, 2004 at 4:54 PM Post #26 of 46
CD780 vs. v6 -->> CD780 wins

I haven't tried either in really hot weather yet, but in comfort and sound quality the 780 is best, though the v6 is handy when you want some isolation or a smaller more portable HP.

Mar 12, 2004 at 5:30 AM Post #27 of 46
Quote:

Oh, btw, why do you limit yourself to Sony?

I don't necessarily, but the Senn HD and GRADO and whatever else that has been mentioned that I've checked out all have big chunky looking phones that look like would get very hot and sweaty. The Sony has the CD780 and eggos where one is lightweight and the other is comfortable and non sealage, exactly what I'm looking for. Plus, I know Sony is very reliable.

Mar 12, 2004 at 5:38 AM Post #28 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by Earwax
CD780 vs. v6 -->> CD780

The general count last time I checked is 17 vs 8 in favor of the V6. For portability (foldable headphone), isolation, style and excellent sound, the V6 beats the ugly eggo and chunky 780. This is why you see a lot of V6/7506 used by pro's not so much the eggos or 780's. Of the three, the V6 is the cheapest.

Mar 12, 2004 at 5:41 AM Post #29 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by Music Fanatic
The V6s have many virtues, but being circumaural is not one of them (unless, I suppose, if you have truly tiny ears.)

for me, my ear lobes are pretty much the only part that really extends beyond the inner area. other than that, they're a tight fit, but everything seems to fit in barely.

Mar 12, 2004 at 7:39 AM Post #30 of 46
Although I haven't tried the CD780 yet I'd take the D66 over the V6--to my ears the D66 has a more likable tonal character (slightly warm, never bright like the V6 can be), much better soundstage and a more even frequency response (I found the midrange to be recessed on the V6). Both are great phones, though, for many people it comes down to taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back