the best Shielded power cable?
Dec 29, 2005 at 3:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

TigzStudio

Member of the Trade: Norne Audio
Im in search of the best shielded power cable there is....

so far the only one on my list is the DH Labs Power Plus AC.

does anyone else know of really well shielded power cables? beyond volex and beyond belden? (are these even shielded that well? )

thanks for any opinions,!

price range up to $150.00 usd (new or used)

Dec 29, 2005 at 3:57 AM Post #2 of 20
PAD. Purist Audio design. The oldest design is "A", next "B", and latest "C". The B is much better than A, & C is not as appreciably as much better than B. B is the most bang for the buck, BUT, be prepared for an expensive cable.

Sorry, I didn't see your price limit. Don't even bother to look at PAD. You won't be able to touch it for your limit.

Dec 29, 2005 at 7:07 AM Post #3 of 20
Shunyata. I believe they have a product at $99 now.

Dec 29, 2005 at 8:42 PM Post #6 of 20
What are you trying to accomplish by shielding? Is there audible hiss, hum, haze, radio station playing through your cords? Is there excessive tearing, ringing brightness?

If not, IME, more layers of shielding=less transparent sound. If you don't have above problems, it's better to go with unshielded designs that use geometry to partially reject RFI or designs that use light shield in strategic ways (spaced away and/or floating, or with dielectric biasing).

Dec 29, 2005 at 11:23 PM Post #8 of 20
exactly JonL!

im getting quite an audible hum/buzz in both speakers (its so annoying),

and my brickwall did not solve it, so I just bought some volex and a jellyfish, and am trying to see if a better shielded cable will solve my problem.

it started happening when I got my odyssey stratos plus in my setup.

however I think it also may be caused by usign a yamaha rxv-1400 as the preamp!...

(my etesian pre hasnt arrived yet)

could be possible I have some kind of mismatch somewhere?

well hopefully replacing the rxv-1400 with the etesian and some good power cord will solve it!... cuz its my last hope.

I believe the DH labs ac cable has pretty nice geometry design, so I may go with that then....

Dec 30, 2005 at 12:24 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjf
I don't understand this. You plug your cable into a wall socket, fed from miles of non-shielded cables. This is way wilder than weird interconnects!

think about it a little more.

Dec 30, 2005 at 12:28 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by TigzStudio
it started happening when I got my odyssey stratos plus in my setup.

Have you tried using a cheater plug on the Odyssey amp yet? This sounds an awful lot like a ground loop issue.

Dec 30, 2005 at 12:08 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
think about it a little more.

I'm trying, I'm trying, I'm trying, I'm trying. But still don't get it!
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Dec 30, 2005 at 4:59 PM Post #12 of 20
whats the cheater plug look like?? where can I get one to try?, does it just block the ground or something?

Dec 30, 2005 at 9:43 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by TigzStudio
whats the cheater plug look like?? where can I get one to try?, does it just block the ground or something?

If it's 60Hz ground loop hum, it should sound like low-frequency hum, 60Hz midbass sound. The sound should oscillate (peak) 60 cylces per minute, one cycle per second. If this is the noise, cheater plug may help break the ground loop. You should try it on various components to see which one's the culprit.

Unfortunately, sometimes cheater plugs don't help b/c of the often complex grounding scheme of an entire system. There are expensive devices that try to help in this situation, but one dirty way is to take a long piece of wire with bare ends and try to connect 2 components' chassis. I usually just try to press the wire to chassis by hand first to see if that kills the ground loop, say between CDP and preamp, or bet preamp and amp. If it works, using the chassis screw to connect 2 components is what I do. This gets rid of the ground potential difference between components that leads to the ground looping. This is basically what expensive ground-loop devices do.

If your noise is higher in pitch and not 60 cycles per minute, this may be an entirely different problem:

1. EMI/RFI seeping into the system

--usually via power cords and interconnects. One dirty way to check is to try a few Ferrite clamps around power cords and interconnects to see if the noise goes away. I don't like ferrites' sound, though, and a more permanent solution like different shielding or ERS paper should be looked into.

2. Intrinsic noise generated by the component

--due to faulty parts inside or mismatch in system gain structure. Too much gain in the component or mismatch with gain in other components can let you hear the usually inaudible noises that all the parts generate, especially if your speakers are sensitive.

Dec 30, 2005 at 10:11 PM Post #15 of 20
wow Jon,

awesome insight thanks!

Imma try it all until the darn hum goes away.... it sounds too me like definitely around 60 hz. its not very high pitch... but it is fairly loud.

or I may also wait for my preamp to come in the mail!
see if that fixes it... alas i am probably going to be too impatient however. hehe.

thanks again guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back