The Best Portable Headphones from Sennheiser For Mobile Devices - Running Unamped
Dec 18, 2012 at 10:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

DoggieHowzer

New Head-Fier
Which is the best sounding headphones from Sennheiser which throws the largest undistorted sound and bass without an amp? It will be connected directly to a smartphone.

HD429?
HD448?
HD239?
HD238?
HD219?
HD218?

What are the differences between these models? The 4** models and 2** models look fairly similar not only in looks but paper.

Thanks.

Dec 19, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #2 of 19
Get the PX100II and be done with it. They get high reviews. You just have to wait for them to be delivered

Here's a good review http://www.head-fi.org/t/593796/px100-ii-review-the-sennheiser-hd625

Dec 19, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #4 of 19
Hello

Also, Sennheiser isn't known for their bass. I looked at the HD429/439, those aren't really portable.

I've tried the HD219s. The 219s have a little isolation, they're extremely comfortable, but IMO they have less bass than the PX100ii.

The PX100ii are portable, have no isolation, fit really good but maybe a little less comfortable than the 219s, definitely warmer sounding than the 219s.

good luck 

Dec 19, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:
Hello

Also, Sennheiser isn't known for their bass. I looked at the HD429/439, those aren't really portable.

I've tried the HD219s. The 219s have a little isolation, they're extremely comfortable, but IMO they have less bass than the PX100ii.

The PX100ii are portable, have no isolation, fit really good but maybe a little less comfortable than the 219s, definitely warmer sounding than the 219s.

good luck 

Hi,

I've had a look at the PX100IIi and PX200IIi. May I ask if you know the differences between these 2 models? I prefer the looks of the PX200II more than the PX100II but not too sure if they would sound any different.

As for the HD219, I can still accept it as I don't really need portability. I will be mostly listening at home or during trips.

Cheers.

Dec 19, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #7 of 19
As a side note, I would put comfort as top priority, and if the HD219s are substantially comfortable than the PX100/200 with lower clamping force, I would be more inclined to go with the HD219s.

Cheers.

Dec 19, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #8 of 19
The 219s don't necessarily beat the PX100ii in comfort, they just feel different because the ear pads are of different material
The 219s leak sound, where you'll never get to appreciate their full sound. The PX100ii do not leak sound.
The 219s sound bright, the PX100ii sound darker.

I can't speak on the PX200ii. But. Below is a little comparison by Katun.

--------------
Comparisons by Katun
--------------

PX100 ~ Ah, so here's the real question. Is the original better than it's successor? Quite simply, no, it's not. The "only" thing I like better about the PX100 is the earpieces have more movement opposite the way they fold inward. In other words, the PX100 aligns absolutely perfectly on one's ear, distributing contact and pressure perfectly. The PX100-II doesn't quite have the range of motion, which is a shame. Luckily, the comfort between the two is still extremely close, with the slight advantage to the PX100 due to the range of earpieces and also being a tad lighter. But that also comes at a price. The PX100 feels like a toy in comparison. PX100-II's build is much superior. But leaving that aside and moving to sound reveals something interesting. Without having major clamp on the PX100, they're simply far too bass light. Like I mentioned above, I think portables deserve a bass bump to compensate for their design which minimizes it in the first place. The added bass makes the PX100-II sound more fleshed-out, more balanced, and fuller sounding. I believe I'm hearing a bit more detail with the PX100-II as well, not to mention it being more engaging. Everything else is pretty close; in a good way of course. So if I already owned a PX100, would I upgrade? Easily.

PX200-II ~ And of course, comparisons aren’t complete without the PX100’s closest ancestor, the PX200-II. I've read some good reviews regarding it and decided "why not?" But now I ask myself, "why?" Real quickly before the sound; I find the pads more comfortable on the PX100-II, but the donut pads on the PX200-II definitely aren't bad. I honestly can't stand the bulky volume control on the PX200-II, and find it quite ridiculous. But it's the sound, oh the sound. I'm afraid I may have to classify it as one of the worst sounding headphones I've ever heard, period. Very reminiscent of an earbud, these sound extremely hollow, distant, and underwhelming. Not to mention, the bass is so incredible recessed that sometimes I tend to miss a good chunk of the lower sound spectrum! Like I've seen other reviewers mention, they only sound half decent when pressed against your ear. But unfortunately, even after I've bent mine to the point that the left and right pads were touching, the sound still remained far too thin. Easily one of the biggest disappointment in my audio journey (other being: Zino, D600, W3, W4), but that's simply because the PX100-II set my expectation quite high.

Dec 19, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #9 of 19
Thanks for the information. Certainly useful.

Now, this is interesting. On Headfonia, although the PX200 II is mentioned to be inferior to the PX100 II, it still gets a recommendation. From Katun's review above, it is clear that the PX100 II is the way to go.

Looks like the PX100 II is a better sounding design than the PX200 II which is slightly unfortunate for me since the latter looks more polished in an aesthetics point of view, to my eyes. Anyway it is the sound that counts in the end.

Cheers.

Dec 20, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #12 of 19
Forget the 219 and 229's. The 238 and 239 are identical the 9 is just a new model but same drivers, same with the 4X 8 and 9's

Why do they have to be Senn's? Coming from the LCD 2 and looking for bass Id go with the V-moda M80 Or even the HE-400's that would be badass haha

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Hi,

I've had a look at the PX100IIi and PX200IIi. May I ask if you know the differences between these 2 models?

PX100II = Good Bass
PX200II = No Bass (unless you hold them tight against your head...let go and the bass disappears).

Dec 21, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #14 of 19
Are you also looking for models besides those on your list. I'm not very experienced in the audiophile realm, but since you are asking for comfort, you can look at the Momentum, if you can deal with its drawbacks.

Dec 23, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #15 of 19
The PX100-II is a great headphone, and they're as portable as it gets (sunglasses-sized).

I'm with carma143 though, +1 on the Momentums if you don't mind that they're just a tad less portable than the tiny PXs. You should also know that when you buy a Momentum, you are forking out some of your money on its styling and build quality too. I still love their sound, though! They're very relaxed, non-fatiguing and warm, with lovely mids and just enough bass. They don't compromise on detail retrieval either, although something tells me your LCD-2 will have them totally beat in a critical or home listening environment (same with the PXs, I guess).

I haven't heard most of the HD4** and 2** series you've mentioned, but if you want an excellently designed, closed portable headphone from Sennheiser with great sound that's easy to use with a mobile device, I'd handily recommend the Momentums. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back