The best portable DAC/Amp with Optical (Leckerton UHA-4 Clarification)
Dec 9, 2013 at 2:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

stuartfang

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I am looking for an extremely portable DAC/Amp for my MacBook Pro.

Right now I am currently using the Leckerton UHA-4, it is quite small, but I would prefer to not use USB connections as my MBP has a pretty good optical out.

To explain why I need it to be so portable, I basically bring my MBP everywhere I go, commuting downtown to daily classes and labs. I have my UHA-4 Velcro'd to the lid of my MBP, (looks cool and natural) but somehow I am not satisfied with this setup's sound signature/presentation and it taking up one of my two USB ports.

As far as I know there is the Audinst HUD-mx1 and mx2, and the FiiO E17 that sounds decent and have optical in. I feel pretty ashamed that I only know these three that fit my needs. I was wondering if there are any other that are around the same size as the aforementioned three DAC/Amps. Please inform me with similar sized but better DAC/Amp combo WITH OPTICAL IN.

Also, can anyone verify for me if the UHA-4's DAC is better or worse than the UHA-6S MK II's? Former is Texas Instruments PCM2706, and the latter is Cirrus Logic CS4398. I cannot tell for sure which one is better even from some research on impressions on Head-Fi forums. It would be best if some discussion about that would arise in this thread.

Any help or recommendation would be greatly appreciated!

Dec 10, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #2 of 4
I can tell you that I love my UHA-6S.mkii.  I haven't heard the UHA-4, but I use the optical output on my Macbook Pro pretty much every day (connected to my 6S), and it sounds fantastic.  Even with my very sensitive Shure SE535s, there is absolutely no background noise.  Not sure if that helps you any, but I wanted to let you know my experiences.

Dec 10, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #3 of 4
  I can tell you that I love my UHA-6S.mkii.  I haven't heard the UHA-4, but I use the optical output on my Macbook Pro pretty much every day (connected to my 6S), and it sounds fantastic.  Even with my very sensitive Shure SE535s, there is absolutely no background noise.  Not sure if that helps you any, but I wanted to let you know my experiences.

Thanks for letting me know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back