The best "over the counter" painkiller thread......
May 19, 2005 at 10:09 PM Post #2 of 43
I'll take ibuprofen anyday.

May 19, 2005 at 10:11 PM Post #3 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by usc goose
I'll take ibuprofen anyday.

x2... as a 35 year old father of 2, sometimes crawling out of bed is painful. IT Works

Garrett

May 19, 2005 at 10:51 PM Post #7 of 43
Pharmacology lesson (I'm an anaesthetist so pain control is one of my main goals!)

Best thing to do is combine drugs with different mechanisms of action then you will get combined effect. The main groups are broadly non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS), paracetamol, and opioids.

NSAIDS (aspirin, ibuprofen, diclofenac, etc.) - Broadly they reduce the body's inflammatory response and decrease tissue swelling round trauma. These are good painkillers when used in combination with opiates or paracetamol, but not that effective used seperately. They tend to be more effective when prescribed regularly for a few days rather than just as required. Side-effects include increased bleeding, renal impairment, and gastric ulceration. Aspirin generally causes most bleeding side-effects of the drugs mentioned, while ibuprofen and diclofenac tend to be better painkillers.

Paracetamol - Mechanism of action is poorly understood, but has anti-inflammatory properties. Few side-effects. Anadin/Hedex/etc. tend to have reduced dose paracetamol and caffeine in them to somehow justify the extra cost. Frankly it isn't worth the extra money! Just get the cheapest paracetamol you can find.

Opioids (codeine, tramadol, morphine, diamorphine, fentanyl, etc.) - The big boys, which work on receptors in the nerves and brain! Codeine is available over the counter in the UK at a strength of 8mg per tablet, but 30mg per tablet codeine is available by prescription. It also comes as co-codamol which is combination of paracetamol and codeine.

The "best" painkiller combination you can get over the counter is (bear in mind these are adult doses and this is in no way suitable for all due to side-effects, contraindications, and cautions!)

Co-codamol (1g paracetamol with 16mg codeine) four times daily
Ibuprofen 600mg three times daily

Personally if I take painkillers I use ibuprofen AND paracetamol as a first line treatment. Might as well use something that's likely to work first time!
biggrin.gif

May 19, 2005 at 11:31 PM Post #8 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big D
Opioids (codeine, tramadol, morphine, diamorphine, fentanyl, etc.) - The big boys, which work on receptors in the nerves and brain!

Tramadol is my prescribed painkiller of choice in combination with Ibuprofen - 1x50mg Tramadol and 1x400mg Ibuprofen twice a day
smily_headphones1.gif
Quite literaly 'I have become, Comfortably numb'
biggrin.gif

May 20, 2005 at 12:11 AM Post #11 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
For headaches I go with max strength Advil. To ease the road down from a hangover I take asprin before I go to bed after a night of drinking.

On a side note...a big cause of hangovers, is dehydration caused by the alcohol. If you drink 2 large glasses of water before sleeping and 1 when you get up, you probably won't get a hangover.

May 20, 2005 at 12:15 AM Post #12 of 43
Big D I have a question,

Right now I am on Fetanyl 50ugh patchs for a injury sustained in the Army to my neck. The problem is that is seems my body has adjusted to the medication and it is not working like it used to. I discussed this with my doctor and she says to take ibuprofen with it to act like a booster. Is she right or should I be taking aspirin instead? Just wondering what a Anaesthetist has to say seeing how I know you have a broader knowladge of the effects of drugs then a regular doctor.

May 20, 2005 at 1:31 AM Post #13 of 43
Tylenol for muscle-induced headaches. Ibuprophen for any other ones.

May 20, 2005 at 3:11 AM Post #15 of 43
I find Tylenol works for headaches and Advil for muscle aches. Aleeve works better for muscle aches, but after a car accident and regular use it caused me some stomach problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back